Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2020 11:45:41 AM EDT
Trying to pick my Trump bucks radio.  Will be my first hf radio.  Use will be as a home base station and possibly as a camping radio.

I like the ft-891 especially that it covers 6m as I'm currently a tech license. But am a little concerned about it being a mobile design.

The 718 looks ok too.  But only works down to 10m.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
 I like the ft-891 especially that it covers 6m as I'm currently a tech license. But am a little concerned about it being a mobile design.
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Looked at both radios and went with the FT891 as my first HF radio. A lot of good options out there and price had dropped on some of them since I bought mine. Gave $450 used for it I think. Maybe $475.

Also honorable mentions would be as follows.

Xiegu G90
Icom 7100

Think the 718 while I like them looks of the radio lacks in filtering.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
What modes do you want to run? SSB needs good filters and power helps a lot. Digital doesn't need nearly the filtering and noise reduction in the radio, most is all on the software side. Digital works fine at QRP power levels. Band conditions suck currently and the digital modes are much more tolerant of poor propagation and weak signals. By the time you add an external TNC to either of those rigs you are in spitting distance of something with a built in TNC like the 7300, which also has an internal automatic tuner along with better filters & noise reduction. Look at the total system cost to get on the air for the mode you want to run -- then compare prices.

Portable is fun too, I think wire antennas in a couple trees up off the side of the Parkway in the mountains is more fun that competing for dx with a boomer running legal limit. QRP is plenty for most digital modes, most of the time.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]
FT-891 has it for portability.
FT-891 has it for factory filtering and DSP

The receiver on the FT-891 is much better than the IC-718 which is now, a few years old.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FT-891 has it for portability.
FT-891 has it for factory filtering and DSP

The receiver on the FT-891 is much better than the IC-718 which is now, a few years old.
View Quote
This.  Between the two, the FT-891 wins hands down.  I was in the same boat 2 years ago and considered these two amongst others, and went with the 891.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
As for digital modes with the FT891

I’m running a hamdapter cable from eBay and a usb c or whatever cable for the control. The audio interface is done with a $10 usb sound card.

It took some tinkering to get it to work but works fine now.

Probably have $25 in the cables and interface for my 891.

$160 in a LDG tuner and cable.

And $150 in a antenna with free coax from a fellow ham.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright 891 looks like the winner thanks.  Can't spend more right now or I'd get the 7300.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Alright 891 looks like the winner thanks.  Can't spend more right now or I'd get the 7300.
View Quote
I'm still curious as to why you were "concerned" that it was a "mobile design".
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm still curious as to why you were "concerned" that it was a "mobile design".
View Quote

Buried menus could be one aspect of it?

That’s really the only knock I can give the FT891 is that you have to hold down the F button and scroll thru 87 menu options to adjust your output power or mode. But once you learn how to do it it’s not that bad.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#10]
either would make a nice rig, the 891 is much newer and IIRC, has IF DSP which is nice

you’ll want to upgrade to general when you see how much more activity is on 20-80meters

when the sunspots are higher, you can really work some DX on 10m

these days, it will open up with E-layer skip, which is also fun

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]
It's too bad some of the "mobile" or menu based radios can't save the current settings to an SD card, that's handy for switching modes sometimes and it beats changing a half dozen settings to go from WXJT-X to FLDigi to SSB.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
The 891 is FAR superior in performance. I wouldn't even be looking at the 718.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's too bad some of the "mobile" or menu based radios can't save the current settings to an SD card, that's handy for switching modes sometimes and it beats changing a half dozen settings to go from WXJT-X to FLDigi to SSB.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Or just have 5-6 various setups presaved in the radio.
I really hope to see Icom and Yaesu step it up over then next few years. Seems as tho the Chinese manufacturers are quicker to make changes / models while the big 3 are sacred to death to change anything. Icom to a lesser extent.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Buried menus could be one aspect of it?

That's really the only knock I can give the FT891 is that you have to hold down the F button and scroll thru 87 menu options to adjust your output power or mode. But once you learn how to do it it's not that bad.
View Quote
My FTM-7250DR adjusts the power from the mic with the "D'"button and then the "Up" button, then the "D" button again.

You have a different mic, unless you have buttons on the back.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My FTM-7250DR adjusts the power from the mic with the "D'"button and then the "Up" button, then the "D" button again.

You have a different mic, unless you have buttons on the back.
View Quote
The FT-891 uses a different mic.  Only 3 buttons, Up, Down, and Fast.  Used for tuning.  

Power settings are buried in the deep function menu as mentioned.  It's not too bad to get too, but it is a big list of options to spin through.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The 891 is FAR superior in performance. I wouldn't even be looking at the 718.
View Quote

Pretty much this, unless you can score a 718 for $2-300 bux.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The FT-891 uses a different mic.  Only 3 buttons, Up, Down, and Fast.  Used for tuning.  

Power settings are buried in the deep function menu as mentioned.  It's not too bad to get too, but it is a big list of options to spin through.
View Quote
Roger.

Seems to be standard Yaesu.

I have 50+ items in my setup menu.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Roger.

Seems to be standard Yaesu.

I have 50+ items in my setup menu.
View Quote
One slight saving grace is that there are different power set menus, which helps alleviate having to constantly change:

-HF Power
-HF AM Power
-HF SSB Power
-50M Power
-50M AM Power
-50M SSB Power

All of these can be set differently, and I usually keep the SSB settings at or close to the max 100 watts, and then put the base HF Power to about 30-40 watts as that setting is the power that will be used when doing digital modes (or CW).  So at least going between SSB and digi modes, I typically don't have to adjust the power.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One slight saving grace is that there are different power set menus, which helps alleviate having to constantly change:

-HF Power
-HF AM Power
-HF SSB Power
-50M Power
-50M AM Power
-50M SSB Power

All of these can be set differently, and I usually keep the SSB settings at or close to the max 100 watts, and then put the base HF Power to about 30-40 watts as that setting is the power that will be used when doing digital modes (or CW).  So at least going between SSB and digi modes, I typically don't have to adjust the power.
View Quote
Nice feature.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I recommend spending a few extra bucks and get the IC-7300.

Built in tuner and built in sound card. That right there is worth the extra $320.

That way your antenna does not have to be perfect, and you can do digital mode out of the box, which you will want to do eventually. And it also has 6m

HRO has them for $879.99 new after $100 Icom rebate.

You can pick them up used for $700 on QTH Swap.

Having a waterfall is great.  You simply will not want another radio unless you want to spend much bigger bucks or want small QRP or a mobile with a remote head for a small vehicle.

If you ever get an amp you will want to commit suicide with an FT-891 because of the way you have to change power output. You will want a tuner, and you will want to do digital modes
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I placed the order for the ft-891.  I would have sprung for a 7300 but the extra features wouldn't have done me much good living in a cardboard box after the wife found out I spent that much.  

Also got a power supply and single band dipole I have to cut to length.  Probably going to setup on 10m until I get my general ticket.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well I placed the order for the ft-891.  I would have sprung for a 7300 but the extra features wouldn't have done me much good living in a cardboard box after the wife found out I spent that much.  

Also got a power supply and single band dipole I have to cut to length.  Probably going to setup on 10m until I get my general ticket.
View Quote

make the dipole a bit too long.

hang it up where you decide to keep it, set the 891 to low power, CW or something with a carrier(not SSB), and check your SWR

trim it to DIP the SWR around 28.400

set the radio to USB and tune around 28.300 - 28.500

here's a 10m, heard from the US, DX spotter link...

https://dxwatch.com/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=717

the very first contact I ever made was on 10m. I heard a 6 lander calling CQ and answered him

He was so happy that I picked him for my very first QSO, that he mailed me a card that same day.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a 718.  In a quiet environment, it works fine.  Filtering doesn’t compare to the 891 or any of the newer 32 bit dsp radios like it.  891 also has a roofing filter.  718 has basic menus, easy to operate.  What I’ve seen the 891 isn’t that bad on menus.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:57:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm itching for a FT891/atas
View Quote

I run an 857/ATAS old school first gen model 100 on my Jeep. I've rebuilt it probably 4 times and it keeps going. They have an issue with water getting inside (atleast with the old ones) but if you stay on it and maintenance it once a year or so it's fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I had the same debate a few months ago and went with the ft-450d.  Will be a desktop rig.   I would have gone with the 7100 but between the time i looked at prices and a few days later when i ordered the price of the 7100 went up by $100.  I'll get a v/u ssb rig eventually.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This.  Between the two, the FT-891 wins hands down.  I was in the same boat 2 years ago and considered these two amongst others, and went with the 891.

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top