Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 25
Posted: 7/25/2019 7:43:33 PM EDT
Are these any good..???
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By high_order1:

In the years I have searched, I've seen precisely one. Somewhere in this thread is a discussion about them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

I take it the lower band stuff like the 10m versions aren't being made anymore?

In the years I have searched, I've seen precisely one. Somewhere in this thread is a discussion about them.

From what I can gather, they haven't been made since like 2017/18 and I believe they only did a very limited run of it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Evintos:

From what I can gather, they haven't been made since like 2017/18 and I believe they only did a very limited run of it.
View Quote
They are practically vaporware. Just like the 117's they did. Just like the GPS/APRS enabled one they did. (see a pattern with Triumph Instruments? lol)

I have been patiently waiting for someone to reverse the newest FCS to see how low they can go. If it's just tweaking the firmware, I'd bite that bullet, but SDR's... seems like there would need to be some physical components to do closer to the HF end.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:17:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saoirse] [#3]

Sent a private message (via Facebook) to ShiQing with my order list (I ordered 2x everything including 2 custom PTTs) and he sent a invoice via Paypal. Paid the invoice with a credit card (no extra 3% CC fee or anything like that). Shipped via DHL from Hong Kong. Screenshot of the tracking of how fast the radios were delivered to me.

FCS PRC152 is $300 USD
4x18650 cells - $15 (I was sent Samsung INR18650-35E cells)
FCS KdU - $130
Shipping to IL - $45

Facebook -  https://www.facebook.com/cyanpoem
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/shiqingshiqing/
Not sure what his Ebay store is but it's cheaper via private message since there are no Ebay fees nor sales tax.
View Quote

Have you tried programming the FCS yet? How did it go. It seems to me like the TRI is the best radio, but shittiest to program. FCS would be easiest to program and second best radio(powered ptt support) and the FCA only being second best in programing and worst radio makes it a distant third option.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Any of these do 6m or 10m at this point?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evintos] [#5]
Originally Posted By Saoirse:

Have you tried programming the FCS yet? How did it go. It seems to me like the TRI is the best radio, but shittiest to program. FCS would be easiest to program and second best radio(powered ptt support) and the FCA only being second best in programing and worst radio makes it a distant third option.
View Quote

Some of my experience with the FCS152 radio (haven't messed with the KDU yet).

The included programming cable has a toggle on the USB itself that needs to be switched to either the 152 or KDU position. If you don't have the toggle in the correct position, the desktop app will not be able to connect to the device. With radio off, hold power button and squelch key, then select channel setting before connecting to the desktop app.

While you can program through the radio, the desktop app is really the way to go. All frequencies in the appropriate 5K step entered into the desktop app will save and function properly on the radio as long as you don't have bug 2. The UI of the desktop app is simple enough to enter RX/TX frequencies and rename channels. Using drop down menus to change CTS/DCS settings, power output and bandwidth. It's also great that you can import and export freqs/configs.

Out of the box in channel mode - I was able to cycle through 10 channels with the knob and then into VFO mode and then back into channel mode. Basically channel 11 was VFO and then cycling past VFO brought you back to channel 1 or 10 (depending on which direction you turn the knob).

Bug 1 - If I turned the knob fast, the channel switching did not properly register, so you have to turn the knob fairly slowly. If you spin it too fast, sometimes it goes backwards (example, you're in channel 5, spinning counter clockwise too fast when you want to go to channel 3 will end up getting you to channel 6). Sometimes turning the knob 1 click did not even register a channel or frequency change.

Bug 2 - If I went to VFO mode and then switched to UHF and used the knob to increase or decrease the frequency, then switch back to channel mode and use the knob, the knob would not cycle through channels.

When I took a look into the desktop app to try and program the radio, Channel 11, 21, 31, etc. were all set with if I remember correctly #000000. Trying to set a default freq for VFO for VHF and UHF was unsuccessful. Sometimes the frequencies will save/write into the radio and other times it would not.

I couldn't figure it out why it was happening so I did a factory reset on the radio, then used the app to read the radio's factory reset settings (which had FRS freqs defaulted in channels 20 and up) and all the #000000s at the 11, 21, etc. intervals were gone. Could not even type it in and have it saved to the radio. Where the #000000s came from, no clue. Without the #00000s programmed in any of the channels, bug 2 did not occur.

With the #00000s gone, I no longer had issues trying to save freqs to any channel or VFO defaults and no longer encountered bug 2, I did however lose the ability to get into VFO mode simply by turning left or right on the knob on either channel 1 or 10. So now if you spun the knob in channel mode, it'll cycle through all 99 channels but never go into VFO. To enter VFO, I'd have to press the left arrow key (on the radio) to enter VFO followed by the right arrow key to switch from VHF to UHF. Press left arrow key to enter channel mode again.

In the app, every 10 channels are separated onto their own pages (page select by the Read button) - Channels 1-10 on page 1, channels 11-20 on page 2, so on and so forth. The pages seem to mean nothing on the radio itself. I have not found a way to scroll via channel pages. Example, in channel mode, if I wanted to go from channel 1 to channel 62, I have to scroll through each individual channel until I hit 62. Could not skip in 1 page (10 channels) increments. Holding the +PRE- button on the radio itself will simply scroll through each channel slowly. You also cannot manually enter the channel number as any number key changes the frequency of the channel itself.

While the radio is compatible with genuine Harris batteries, the radio's included FCS battery charger will not work with genuine Harris 12041-2400-02 batteries and you'll need to use a RF-5855-CH001 or equivalent charger. The included charger will probably charge any 18650 cells that you put inside the battery box, but I don't exactly trust it. I'd much rather take the 18650 cells out of the battery box and charge them on my Xtar VP4. Might have to factor in some additional costs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:
Any of these do 6m or 10m at this point?
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would you do that to that piece of equipment? Sell it, make one with a 3D printer, take the leftover money and buy a dedicated radio to leave in it. (shrugs)
View Quote

Because it is doing a good chunk of what I need it to do. It is easily and securely interfacing with my M1078 for power to the radio and intercom (VIC-3) systems. It also charges the battery properly. It holds the radio and everything properly. Any by gutting the amp side of the system, if will give me access to all those systems in a water tight enclosure with plenty of space to integrate what I want. Amp, bluetooth, or any other external audio source. Having everything water tight, or as close as possible is important to me because I have a big, open hole in the roof with my M99/1919A4 setup. When it's parked, it has a cover but it stands a good chance of getting wet. Military vehicles are not known for being sealed up well.

A 3d printed enclosure will do none of this, at least not without a LOT of work. I get what you are saying, but a lot of my problems are solved already using it as it is, I just want to make it better for my LARPing needs.

[youtube]shorts/YjOZUhRh8HE[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The FCS radios look promising. I kept up with them and may end up getting one. For now, I'm am still using my TRI, mostly in my M1078.

I was fiddling with the Repeater function today as it's been something I have put off for way to long. My understanding is it's just a cross band repeater. I set it up as such and it seemed to work, but I got no voice, just empty RX. You can see the RX/TX bars on the radio go up.

When the repeater function is off, each channel works properly. Each radio works properly. They all can communicate clearly amongst each other on each channel.

Just to give it a try, I attempted it on the same band, different channels. Same results.

I triple checked to be sure I had not mistakenly had a scrambler setting on or anything wonky in the settings.

My power was on low because in the past, using the function on other units has burnt them out when using high power.

With my goal of really using this in my M1078, this would be a real good function to have. I feel like I am just making one dumb mistake here. Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
For anyone who still uses FB, a Harris RF-5200 HH just popped up for sale in the TRI/TCA group
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Gloworm19:
For anyone who still uses FB, a Harris RF-5200 HH just popped up for sale in the TRI/TCA group
View Quote
Did you see all of them on eBay?

The guy doing the auction put a picture in that said 'do not bid, only pay the buy it now price'. lol I saw it on an auction monitoring site, and when I got home, they were gone, even the number doesn't go correctly anymore. Hoping I can find it in my work cache tomorrow...

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gloworm19] [#11]

The guy doing the auction put a picture in that said 'do not bid, only pay the buy it now price'. lol I saw it on an auction monitoring site, and when I got home, they were gone, even the number doesn't go correctly anymore. Hoping I can find it in my work cache tomorrow...

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gloworm19:

I did not. I don't look at eBay often.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CallMeColt:

Because it is doing a good chunk of what I need it to do. It is easily and securely interfacing with my M1078 for power to the radio and intercom (VIC-3) systems. It also charges the battery properly. It holds the radio and everything properly. Any by gutting the amp side of the system, if will give me access to all those systems in a water tight enclosure with plenty of space to integrate what I want. Amp, bluetooth, or any other external audio source. Having everything water tight, or as close as possible is important to me because I have a big, open hole in the roof with my M99/1919A4 setup. When it's parked, it has a cover but it stands a good chance of getting wet. Military vehicles are not known for being sealed up well.

A 3d printed enclosure will do none of this, at least not without a LOT of work. I get what you are saying, but a lot of my problems are solved already using it as it is, I just want to make it better for my LARPing needs.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YjOZUhRh8HE
View Quote
I totally get that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
First place I bought from (aliexpress) didn't send cables with the KDU.
ShiQing was willing to sell me a spare set of cables and I used the receipt from him to get a refund from aliexpress in the same amount.

I like the radio, though, so that's nice.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 6:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amstel78] [#14]
So I've been trying to decide between the TRI for its overall feature set in terms of front end, and the TCA for its ease of programming... and now I see FCS has an easily programmable PRC-152 clone in the mix.  I hate my life.

Does anyone here have both the TRI and the FCS? If so, how do they compare in terms of functionality and build quality?  I'm really just looking for a hardened radio I can use for amateur radio comms.  It's a bonus that I can connect my Comtac 3s to it. I can LARP even harder.

Edit: I couldn’t make up my mind, so I bought both the TRI and the FCS from ShiQing via FB. I guess I’ll keep the best of the two and sell the other.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 1:08:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike327] [#15]
Originally Posted By amstel78:
So I've been trying to decide between the TRI for its overall feature set in terms of front end, and the TCA for its ease of programming... and now I see FCS has an easily programmable PRC-152 clone in the mix.  I hate my life.

Does anyone here have both the TRI and the FCS? If so, how do they compare in terms of functionality and build quality?  I'm really just looking for a hardened radio I can use for amateur radio comms.  It's a bonus that I can connect my Comtac 3s to it. I can LARP even harder.

Edit: I couldn’t make up my mind, so I bought both the TRI and the FCS from ShiQing via FB. I guess I’ll keep the best of the two and sell the other.
View Quote

Based on the bolded: You must be new to the radio thing.

Edit: They multiply.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:02:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amstel78] [#16]
lol. I’m new to these PRC clone radios, not arguing that. I’ve been an Extra-class license holder for close to 20 years though. When I do operate, it’s mostly on the HF bands.

I have a small selection of Yaesu HTs, plus a couple of Baofengs. The last one was their PRC-152 attempt which I picked up on Amazon. It works, but I wanted something that wouldn’t break if I looked at it funny.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:38:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amstel78] [#17]
I recently received my TRI 152. Can’t seem to get squelch to work on AM air band. Any suggestions?

Edit: NVM. Confirmed through seller that this isn’t possible.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I recently received my TRI 152. Can’t seem to get squelch to work on AM air band. Any suggestions?

Edit: NVM. Confirmed through seller that this isn’t possible.
View Quote

Yeah I noticed the same thing. Extremely disappointed in that basically AM air band is useless.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:

Yeah I noticed the same thing. Extremely disappointed in that basically AM air band is useless.
View Quote

If only the firmware was open source so it could be fixed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:09:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amstel78] [#20]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:

View Quote

Indeed.  Would have made the $275 bucks worth the price.  Also, I noticed that the speaker volume is lacking, but it appears to be limitation of the front end rather than the amplifier itself. Repeater or line of sight simplex transmissions require the volume knob to be cranked to max. However, if you hit the side button to unsquelch the frequency, it's quite loud.

Finally, the included rubber duck antenna is useless.  I can open local repeaters but not make it through, even with TX power set to high.  My Yaesu VX radios will all enter the repeaters with about 60% quieting on mid power levels.  

Any suggestions on a decent TNC antenna that can cover both UHF/VHF amateur frequencies with SWR lower than 2?

Edit: looking forward to the FCS unit which should be arriving via DHL tomorrow.  Hopefully receiver performance will be better.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 4:57:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amstel78] [#21]

Bug 1 - If I turned the knob fast, the channel switching did not properly register, so you have to turn the knob fairly slowly. If you spin it too fast, sometimes it goes backwards (example, you're in channel 5, spinning counter clockwise too fast when you want to go to channel 3 will end up getting you to channel 6). Sometimes turning the knob 1 click did not even register a channel or frequency change.

Bug 2 - If I went to VFO mode and then switched to UHF and used the knob to increase or decrease the frequency, then switch back to channel mode and use the knob, the knob would not cycle through channels.

When I took a look into the desktop app to try and program the radio, Channel 11, 21, 31, etc. were all set with if I remember correctly #000000. Trying to set a default freq for VFO for VHF and UHF was unsuccessful. Sometimes the frequencies will save/write into the radio and other times it would not.

I couldn't figure it out why it was happening so I did a factory reset on the radio, then used the app to read the radio's factory reset settings (which had FRS freqs defaulted in channels 20 and up) and all the #000000s at the 11, 21, etc. intervals were gone. Could not even type it in and have it saved to the radio. Where the #000000s came from, no clue. Without the #00000s programmed in any of the channels, bug 2 did not occur.

With the #00000s gone, I no longer had issues trying to save freqs to any channel or VFO defaults and no longer encountered bug 2, I did however lose the ability to get into VFO mode simply by turning left or right on the knob on either channel 1 or 10. So now if you spun the knob in channel mode, it'll cycle through all 99 channels but never go into VFO. To enter VFO, I'd have to press the left arrow key (on the radio) to enter VFO followed by the right arrow key to switch from VHF to UHF. Press left arrow key to enter channel mode again.

In the app, every 10 channels are separated onto their own pages (page select by the Read button) - Channels 1-10 on page 1, channels 11-20 on page 2, so on and so forth. The pages seem to mean nothing on the radio itself. I have not found a way to scroll via channel pages. Example, in channel mode, if I wanted to go from channel 1 to channel 62, I have to scroll through each individual channel until I hit 62. Could not skip in 1 page (10 channels) increments. Holding the +PRE- button on the radio itself will simply scroll through each channel slowly. You also cannot manually enter the channel number as any number key changes the frequency of the channel itself.

While the radio is compatible with genuine Harris batteries, the radio's included FCS battery charger will not work with genuine Harris 12041-2400-02 batteries and you'll need to use a RF-5855-CH001 or equivalent charger. The included charger will probably charge any 18650 cells that you put inside the battery box, but I don't exactly trust it. I'd much rather take the 18650 cells out of the battery box and charge them on my Xtar VP4. Might have to factor in some additional costs.
View Quote

I just got my FCS and I'm having a hard time writing to the radio.  Every time I do, I'd get some random channel overwritten with 000.0000 in the frequency column, resulting in Bug 2 you described above.  I'd end up resetting the radio, trying again, and usually result in the same problem, just in another channel.  It's starting to piss me off.  The CPS software that's available (version 1.0.000) is a buggy POS.  The Chinese copy everything... couldn't they have copied Chirp FFS?

Anyway, any suggestion on what to do on my end?  Did you install the Prolific COM port driver or just use whatever Windows 10/11 found?  What did you set your baud rate too?  Doesn't matter how I have the port speed set in Device manager, if I set it to anything other than 115,200 baud, it'll say "failed to connect to radio."

P.S. any way to get the radio to program in 2.5Khz steps?

Edit: found a bug in the firmware which pretty much cripples the FCS. You can’t enter a “3” after the dot in VFO or channel programming mode. For example, trying to enter 152.350 doesn’t work because you can’t enter the number 3. If it’s before the dot, like 143.250, it works.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#22]

I just got my FCS and I'm having a hard time writing to the radio.  Every time I do, I'd get some random channel overwritten with 000.0000 in the frequency column, resulting in Bug 2 you described above.  I'd end up resetting the radio, trying again, and usually result in the same problem, just in another channel.  It's starting to piss me off.  The CPS software that's available (version 1.0.000) is a buggy POS.  The Chinese copy everything... couldn't they have copied Chirp FFS?

Anyway, any suggestion on what to do on my end?  Did you install the Prolific COM port driver or just use whatever Windows 10/11 found?  What did you set your baud rate too?  Doesn't matter how I have the port speed set in Device manager, if I set it to anything other than 115,200 baud, it'll say "failed to connect to radio."

P.S. any way to get the radio to program in 2.5Khz steps?

Edit: found a bug in the firmware which pretty much cripples the FCS. You can’t enter a “3” after the dot in VFO or channel programming mode. For example, trying to enter 152.350 doesn’t work because you can’t enter the number 3. If it’s before the dot, like 143.250, it works.
View Quote

- Windows 11
- Baud rate - 115200. Don't recall if I've ever tried 9600. I know I set port speed set in device manager to 115200 as well.
- Prolific drivers installed https://prolificusa.com/product/pl2303gt-usb-rs232-serial-bridge-controller-built-rs232-xcvr/
- 5Khz steps is the lowest as far as I know. Steps are 5/10/12.5
- I don't ever remember encountering the '3' digit bug but I'm also pretty sure none of the freqs I wrote in had a '3' in the * spot for any XXX.*XX
- Random overwrite 000000 <- damn

Currently not at home (unfortunately won't be until Jan) so I don't have the radio on hand to try and recreate the bugs you encountered.

I asked on the TRI/TCA FB group to see if anyone knows anything.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 6:06:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amstel78] [#23]
Thanks for replying. I confirmed with the vendor (ShiQing) who tested several FCS radios. They all have the same bug which is disappointing to hear, but reassuring that at least it’s not just me.

He’s been in touch with FCS who will work on a revised firmware to address the problem, but was told it could take some time as they’re under lockdown again due to new Covid cases.

I would suggest to those wanting an FCS radio to avoid buying one for now, especially if you use a lot of ham VHF frequencies in the 144-145 MHz range. If you don’t use those frequencies, it’s actually not bad. It’s easier to program using the front panel over the TRI. The receiver sensitivity isn’t as high as the TRI model though.

Edit: as far as the 000.0000 frequency overwrite issue is concerned, those related to entries I had that were VHF and had a 3 after the dot. It makes sense now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for replying. I confirmed with the vendor (ShiQing) who tested several FCS radios. They all have the same bug which is disappointing to hear, but reassuring that at least it’s not just me.

He’s been in touch with FCS who will work on a revised firmware to address the problem, but was told it could take some time as they’re under lockdown again due to new Covid cases.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#25]
FWIW I have a new FCS 152 as of two weeks ago and have had no issues programing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#26]
FWIW I have a new FCS 152 as of two weeks ago and have had no issues programing.
View Quote
What fw revision?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amstel78] [#27]
View Quote

Please take a picture of your FW info screen.  I am on V2.0.0000 with BOOT v0.003 and have had nothing but problems programming with the cable and CPS software.  In fact, even if I intentionally leave out VHF frequencies with a "3" after the dot, I still get 000.0000 entries, usually in the same spot.  About every 15 channels or so.

And in case anyone's interested, this is what the FCS internals look like:

There's not much going on in there.  It's about 150g or so lighter than the TRI.  It's using an ESP32 SoC, so it looks like an SDR instead of a traditional superhet design. It has promise, but so far, my experience shows that the firmware and CPS are the weak links.

Edit: weather sealing seems to be good.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:58:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saoirse] [#28]

Please take a picture of your FW info screen.  I am on V2.0.0000 with BOOT v0.003 and have had nothing but problems programming with the cable and CPS software.  In fact, even if I intentionally leave out VHF frequencies with a "3" after the dot, I still get 000.0000 entries, usually in the same spot.  About every 15 channels or so.
View Quote

Mine is the same as you, and have had no issues. To be totally clear I've only programmed in FRS, GMRS and a couple other local things. Still no problems so far.

Edit: I did use the driver from the FCS page, not the one you linked. Maybe theres something with that?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Mine is the same as you, and have had no issues. To be totally clear I've only programmed in FRS, GMRS and a couple other local things. Still no problems so far.

Edit: I did use the driver from the FCS page, not the one you linked. Maybe theres something with that?
View Quote

FRS and GMRS are all UHF frequencies.  Just out of curiosity, try programming in 145.3500.  Or, try entering it into your keypad. Let me know if it takes it.

As for the driver, I too tried using the one on FCS' webpage.  No bueno.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 7:47:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saoirse] [#30]
Def hadn't noticed the punching it in issue. There is a problem with the 3 key as a number. I was able to scroll down though. Not ideal, but not too hard to workaround.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:36:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amstel78] [#31]
Def hadn't noticed the punching it in issue. There is a problem with the 3 key as a number. I was able to scroll down though. Not ideal, but not too hard to workaround.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/525572/IMG_1799_jpg-2613713.JPG
View Quote

The 3 key works, just not in VHF mode after the dot for some weird reason.

How did you manage to enter it? You said scroll down… please elaborate.

Edit: NVM. I figured it out. Your workaround is fine for VFO mode. Doesn’t work if trying to program in channel mode though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Question for those in the know...

Looking for as close as possible to a true spec AN/PRC-152, or the civilian equivalent.  From my searching, it looks like Ebay is one of the few sources for look-a-likes; but no idea on their actual abilities.

So where does one get something rugged, reliable, and capable?  Made in America would also be great.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

Looking for as close as possible to a true spec AN/PRC-152, or the civilian equivalent.  From my searching, it looks like Ebay is one of the few sources for look-a-likes; but no idea on their actual abilities.

So where does one get something rugged, reliable, and capable?  Made in America would also be great.

View Quote
Harris rf-310m-hh.

Find a Harris dealer and see if they can source one, it's the civ equivalent to the 152.

The TRI and other Asian "clones" are just dual band analog transceivers, about the same feature set as a $30 Baofeng with more power and a nice case.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
There is nothing that comes in the ballpark of a 152. There are no real civilian equivalents. Allegedly, there is a harris public safety portable built on the 152 deck, but parts are unobtanium, and no real path to repair.

The look-a-likes are just that.

I have hope for the FCS though. My understanding is it is designed around a true software defined radio; if so, a custom firmware from elsewhere could really open some interesting possibilities. I have thought about buying one just to tuck away in case they release a revision that actually works, but cripples it (the current FCS apparently has growing pains)

rugged reliable and capable? Define capable. Not being a dick, but... once you start getting outside VHF high band and 470 UHF, the pickings become very... slim

There is a guy building a copy of a MPU5, which I think is going to be interesting
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#35]

I would suggest to those wanting an FCS radio to avoid buying one for now, especially if you use a lot of ham VHF frequencies in the 144-145 MHz range. If you don’t use those frequencies, it’s actually not bad. It’s easier to program using the front panel over the TRI. The receiver sensitivity isn’t as high as the TRI model though.

Edit: as far as the 000.0000 frequency overwrite issue is concerned, those related to entries I had that were VHF and had a 3 after the dot. It makes sense now.
View Quote

Back from vacation and just tested both my radios. The 3 digit keypad entry after the dot issue for sure is happening in VFO VHF. VFO UHF freqs don't have issues with the 3 key after the dot. No issues with 3 digit after dot in the RX or TX of channel programming mode whether it's a VHF or UHF frequency.

I'll have to spend some time to check the freq overwrite with the 3 digit after dot in the CPS.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#36]
There is nothing that comes in the ballpark of a 152. There are no real civilian equivalents. Allegedly, there is a harris public safety portable built on the 152 deck, but parts are unobtanium, and no real path to repair.

I have hope for the FCS though. My understanding is it is designed around a true software defined radio; if so, a custom firmware from elsewhere could really open some interesting possibilities. I have thought about buying one just to tuck away in case they release a revision that actually works, but cripples it (the current FCS apparently has growing pains)

rugged reliable and capable? Define capable. Not being a dick, but... once you start getting outside VHF high band and 470 UHF, the pickings become very... slim

There is a guy building a copy of a MPU5, which I think is going to be interesting
View All Quotes

That's not accurate about the FCS-152 at all.  It's an ESP32-S2 based motherboard, with a VHF/UHF RF module from a relatively unknown company that won't even provide data sheets for it (http://www.hhttalk.com/cn/product_show.asp?pageid=117&big_id=2).  It takes ASCII commands over serial to configure its frequency and gain and not much more.  They barely advertise it at all even on their website, it's available for sale nowhere that I can find, and it's certainly not an SDR.  It is run by a clone of a GD32F101(which is itself a fake of an ST chip), that has no data sheets available for it anywhere.  The motherboard firmware is source available, it's on the Falco website but there's no license for it so its status is somewhat ambiguous.   It's an Arduino sketch that has some problems, some of which have already been pointed out here.

As it is, the FCS-152 is a physically solid, well designed ham radio (hardware wise -- it's got a nice aluminum case and seems to be semi water resistant at least) that takes Harris batteries and probably some real accessories though I haven't had time to work with it to see yet and finding the pinouts for some of those things isn't easy, they're just not available anywhere.  It costs around 300 bucks, so you get what you pay for.

SDRs aren't really the right thing for a handheld radio anyway.  

The Harris PRC-152 civilian version isn't "alleged", it does exist, you just can't get one because Harris won't sell them in quantity one and they're something like 6k to start with.  You can occasionally find references to them online (https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/rf-310m-hh-p25.435076/), and they pop up on eBay very occasionally.  I imagine you'd need to be talking quantity 100+ to get them to talk to you, but I may even be off by an order of magnitude on that.  Harris isn't in the hobby radio business, and as far as I can tell they don't even advertise the non-CCI version of the 152 at all (although there is a product brochure someone must have archived at some point here: https://pdf.dzsc.com/autoupload/22636bdd-fd71-4aaa-948d-aee017fdd41e.pdf).

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Josh:

That's not accurate about the FCS-152 at all.  It's an ESP32-S2 based motherboard, with a VHF/UHF RF module from a relatively unknown company that won't even provide data sheets for it (http://www.hhttalk.com/cn/product_show.asp?pageid=117&big_id=2).  It takes ASCII commands over serial to configure its frequency and gain and not much more.  They barely advertise it at all even on their website, it's available for sale nowhere that I can find, and it's certainly not an SDR.  It is run by a clone of a GD32F101(which is itself a fake of an ST chip), that has no data sheets available for it anywhere.  The motherboard firmware is source available, it's on the Falco website but there's no license for it so its status is somewhat ambiguous.   It's an Arduino sketch that has some problems, some of which have already been pointed out here.

As it is, the FCS-152 is a physically solid, well designed ham radio (hardware wise -- it's got a nice aluminum case and seems to be semi water resistant at least) that takes Harris batteries and probably some real accessories though I haven't had time to work with it to see yet and finding the pinouts for some of those things isn't easy, they're just not available anywhere.  It costs around 300 bucks, so you get what you pay for.

The Harris PRC-152 civilian version isn't "alleged", it does exist, you just can't get one because Harris won't sell them in quantity one and they're something like 6k to start with.  You can occasionally find references to them online (https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/rf-310m-hh-p25.435076/), and they pop up on eBay very occasionally.  I imagine you'd need to be talking quantity 100+ to get them to talk to you, but I may even be off by an order of magnitude on that.  Harris isn't in the hobby radio business, and as far as I can tell they don't even advertise the non-CCI version of the 152 at all (although there is a product brochure someone must have archived at some point here: https://pdf.dzsc.com/autoupload/22636bdd-fd71-4aaa-948d-aee017fdd41e.pdf).

View Quote
I'm familiar with the radio you speak of. I didn't say it didn't exist. They will sell a single unit; you have to talk to the correct people and have the correct credentials.

The radio I speak of is the XG-100P. It is alleged to use the AN/PRC-152 or 152A system, including some of the firmware, just in a public safety form factor.

They do advertise the non-CCI versions of their radios. And not just for export. Google for the Harris Catalog.

Now that's out of the way... how did you learn the rest of that (excepting whether or not a SDR is a good thing in a portable. I say it is). If all of that is true, why hasn't someone wrote some bespoke firmware or whatever the phrasing is, and fixed the bugs and added features?

Wonder if that company would send a datasheet to someone with a .gov address?

I would like to know more; what else can you share with me?
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Which project are you referring to? There's a decent amount of 2x2 MIMO hardware on the market already. I'm beginning to play around with MANET via AREDN stuff. A couple of friends and I have discussed building our own enclosures for COTS radios; I'd like to include a GPS receiver and RTL-SDR all linked to the EUD via a USB hub to facilitate networked TDOA but that might be a pipe dream. Fun stuff
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm familiar with the radio you speak of. I didn't say it didn't exist. They will sell a single unit; you have to talk to the correct people and have the correct credentials.

The radio I speak of is the XG-100P. It is alleged to use the AN/PRC-152 or 152A system, including some of the firmware, just in a public safety form factor.

They do advertise the non-CCI versions of their radios. And not just for export. Google for the Harris Catalog.

Now that's out of the way... how did you learn the rest of that (excepting whether or not a SDR is a good thing in a portable. I say it is). If all of that is true, why hasn't someone wrote some bespoke firmware or whatever the phrasing is, and fixed the bugs and added features?

View Quote

The XG-100P is long since EOL and support/parts are nonexistent. Between that and its relative fragility, I would advise against buying one. The XL-200P is the current equivalent. I don't know about purchasing single-digit quantities of those; I stick to EFWood for current products. A multiband APX, VP8000, or Tait TP9800 will all do about the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:38:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Josh] [#40]

View All Quotes

The XG-100P isn't a PRC-152, it's not a falcon-III radio, and the specs make it pretty clear it's something else entirely.  It's also EOL and has been for a while it appears.

Go ahead and try to buy a non-CCI Falcon III or IV radio from L3Harris, let me know how you get on.  I have the L3Harris catalog open on my laptop right now, can you point me to the page it appears on?  

I have an FCS-152 in pieces on my workbench, I'm working on mapping out the schematic for it and I have the firmware for it open on my laptop right now and I am writing new firmware for it.  It's not a five minute job, the current firmware is an Arduino sketch that has a lot of problems, it's probably going to be faster to write new from scratch which is what I'm doing right now.  The radio has been barely available for a couple of months.  People have lives that don't involve only writing custom software for free.  This radio will get new firmware at some point in the future, whether I do it or someone else does, there's definitely some interest in it.

That company that made the RF modules doesn't answer emails.  They're in Shenzhen.  Sending them something from a .gov address wouldn't have any use, it would probably be a misuse of government email.  It doesn't matter anyway, it's a generic FM UHF/VHF module.  It's nothing special.  I have enough of the API from the radio firmware to know what it requires to make it run.  I don't really care about it anyway, I'm going to replace it with something else eventually.

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#41]
New firmware for the FCS152 will make it a very viable radio for my use case. Thank you, sincerely for working on that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fenric] [#42]
Originally Posted By sabocat:

The XG-100P is long since EOL and support/parts are nonexistent. Between that and its relative fragility, I would advise against buying one. The XL-200P is the current equivalent. I don't know about purchasing single-digit quantities of those; I stick to EFWood for current products. A multiband APX, VP8000, or Tait TP9800 will all do about the same thing.
View Quote

They’re cheap enough that buying boafengs or TRC 152 isn’t worth it. . I picked up 6 of them for $2400. Easy enough to find programming software online and you can load keys from a KVL-3000+ with the purchase of a cable off eBay
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#43]
You must have an inside source. My Google fu showed a low price of $899.00 and a "normal" price of about $1200.00 for used radios. That along with the $2K for the APX 8000 is a lot more than the CCRs. Maybe worth it if you're going into combat or visiting DC. LOL
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
You must have an inside source. My Google fu showed a low price of $899.00 and a "normal" price of about $1200.00 for used radios. That along with the $2K for the APX 8000 is a lot more than the CCRs. Maybe worth it if you're going into combat or visiting DC. LOL
View Quote

XG-25s and XG-75s in 700/800MHz are pretty common in the $400 range. I don't think I've ever seen a Unity portable go for that little unless it was a broken/parts unit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 7:59:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#45]

The XG-100P isn't a PRC-152, it's not a falcon-III radio, and the specs make it pretty clear it's something else entirely.  It's also EOL and has been for a while it appears.

Go ahead and try to buy a non-CCI Falcon III or IV radio from L3Harris, let me know how you get on.  I have the L3Harris catalog open on my laptop right now, can you point me to the page it appears on?  

I have an FCS-152 in pieces on my workbench, I'm working on mapping out the schematic for it and I have the firmware for it open on my laptop right now and I am writing new firmware for it.  It's not a five minute job, the current firmware is an Arduino sketch that has a lot of problems, it's probably going to be faster to write new from scratch which is what I'm doing right now.  The radio has been barely available for a couple of months.  People have lives that don't involve only writing custom software for free.  This radio will get new firmware at some point in the future, whether I do it or someone else does, there's definitely some interest in it.

That company that made the RF modules doesn't answer emails.  They're in Shenzhen.  Sending them something from a .gov address wouldn't have any use, it would probably be a misuse of government email.  It doesn't matter anyway, it's a generic FM UHF/VHF module.  It's nothing special.  I have enough of the API from the radio firmware to know what it requires to make it run.  I don't really care about it anyway, I'm going to replace it with something else eventually.

View Quote

A VX8R guts with mars mod might be neat. You would get a portion of lowband. Heck the entire radio would probably fit in there LOL. Does the 8 have remote command capabilities? If so, even easier and brings all the signaling features.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
others say the 100P is. I have only anecdotal evidence from technicians. Guess we're stalemated there.

Cut me a check, and tell me where you want them delivered.

Send me a copy of the catalog you managed to get hold of, and I will circle the pages.

If the FCS has just a conventional VHF/UHF RF deck, and it's running off the board you say it is, what's the interest in the depth to which you are probing it? Sounds more worthwhile to pick more agile and accessible front and back layers, and throw the result into a shell. (Guess I am just missing the bigger picture there)

It is neat that you possess that capability, though; even if it is recreational for you.

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mancow:

A VX8R guts with mars mod might be neat. You would get a portion of lowband. Heck the entire radio would probably fit in there LOL. Does the 8 have remote command capabilities? If so, even easier and brings all the signaling features.
View Quote
and, probably has already been bitbanged to death by the ham community, so not a lot of reinventing the wheel. Go ahead and skin it in the Harris FALCON menu tree for familiarity, but you can keep the mission planning application... :P
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a real one (not 152 but 5800 export legal model). The TRI display is much nicer it seems. I wish this 117 remote front panel would fit but it has the high density pin arrangement and mine has the 18 pin side port. Maybe someday I will try to match pinouts and see if they can talk to each other.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:34:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Josh] [#49]
others say the 100P is. I have only anecdotal evidence from technicians. Guess we're stalemated there.

Send me a copy of the catalog you managed to get hold of, and I will circle the pages.

If the FCS has just a conventional VHF/UHF RF deck, and it's running off the board you say it is, what's the interest in the depth to which you are probing it? Sounds more worthwhile to pick more agile and accessible front and back layers, and throw the result into a shell. (Guess I am just missing the bigger picture there)

It is neat that you possess that capability, though; even if it is recreational for you.

View All Quotes

Lol.  Sure you will.

Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

There's not quite that much room in there.  And it doesn't do what I want anyway.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 25
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 1 of 25)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top