Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2018 7:37:09 PM EDT
Today SpaceX have successfully launched and deployed the Es'hail-2 satellite which is now in geostationary orbit. This launch is special for amateur radio enthusiasts because it is the first geostationary satellite that contains an amateur radio transponder on it. The satellite is positioned at 25.5°E which is over Africa. It will cover Africa, Europe, the Middle East, India, eastern Brazil and the west half of Russia/Asia. Unfortunately, North America, Japan, most of South America, Australia and NZ miss out.
More details here.

Any of you guys are buddies with Elon Musk? Maybe we can launch an ARFCOM bird? Maybe get a couple of Baofengs and duct tape them to a solar panel? LOL.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've often wondered what it would cost to do that.  When we hit the lottery I'll make sure the US has one or two overhead.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
very cool
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, too bad it’s over Africa.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
10ghz/2.4ghz... so i can hit it with my wifi!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome, too bad it’s over Africa.
View Quote
Yeah the coverage area is weird. I can see europe/russia/me and india tho. Maybe they will use this to get the bugs for a NA bird.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#6]
over africa with middleast , russia and EU coverage

gee, I wonder what else it does
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its primary purpose appears to be TV broadcast (a la DirecTV) and commercial Ka band VSAT type comm's. According to the video I watched, the amateur radio payload sleazes off of two of the eight back-up TWTAs on the bird. If they lose more than six TWTAs over the life of the bird then the amateur radio payload will obviously have to take a back seat to making money.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
AMSAT has plans for "five and dime" geostationary satellites with global coverage.  "Five and dime" is 5Ghz up and 10GHz down.  I don't care to know what the radios to use them will cost.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC they have a team working on the radios for 5/10 and the intent was the whole ground station would be < $1K.

I think the original idea of Molinya orbits makes more sense than geostationary but obviously that greatly complicated
the antenna aiming. At this point it probably makes even more sense to work on a fleet of LEO microsats with
some kind of mesh-like networking.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Geo is easier because they basically have to piggyback on a commercial launch. Hell, on this latest one they are piggybacking off the satellite itself!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Geo is easier because they basically have to piggyback on a commercial launch. Hell, on this latest one they are piggybacking off the satellite itself!
View Quote
The problem with geosynchronous sats is that they take a lot of power to reach above 81 degrees latitude.  The Molniya orbit requires a tracking antenna on the satellite or a much more powerful ground station.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.
Yeah im sure that space force needs to piggyback bullshit on a comercial sat. Though im sure thats happened before too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
AMSAT has plans for "five and dime" geostationary satellites with global coverage.  "Five and dime" is 5Ghz up and 10GHz down.  I don't care to know what the radios to use them will cost.
View Quote
All the better to keep the unwashed masses off em.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah im sure that space force needs to piggyback bullshit on a comercial sat. Though im sure thats happened before too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.
the best way to hide a military / spy asset is to call it something else.

ie Air America

you probably think the hubble telescope always points toward the stars dont you  :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top