Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 3:00:25 PM EDT
I'm spending this week in St. Johns, AZ getting some things in place for my final move in Late October.  HUGE step to leave civilization, well St. Louis, and go totally off grid.  Base camp is at Lyman Lake State Park.

Future front porch view.  I planted some aluminum seeds in the hope that next year I'll having towering trees.

The radial field should be interesting in this soil.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
"Hideout" ... That's not very subtle.

Congrats on the move! I hope it goes well for you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be up that way tomorrow. I have some property east of Show Low, not too far from Lyman Lake.
Are you monitoring any repeaters?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll be up that way tomorrow. I have some property east of Show Low, not too far from Lyman Lake.
Are you monitoring any repeaters?
View Quote

Yes. When I'm oot and aboot I monitor 146.720.  It seems to cover everywhere I've been.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow. You are living a dream.  Northern Arizona is beautiful.  I used to go up north every chance I had when I lived in Phoenix.
There is nothing like this in the Carolinas. There is no wilderness BLM lands around here and nowhere to camp without staying in an expensive campground with screaming kids and barking dogs.

You'll love Arizona. Stars are amazing at night, get a telescope if you like stargazing.
You'll have fun working Japan from there. Europe is much harder to work from there but a good antenna and a kilowatt will help.
You know, it's amazing what a  can hear if you park somewhere in the mountains, away from civilization.

Good luck to you buddy! I'd love to hear more about your endeavors.
BTW, we have been looking for a travel trailer similar to yours.  I'll be pulling it with my 2016 4 Runner or my 98 I-6 Grand Cherokee.
How do you like your trailer so far?  Any issues pulling it with your v6 (I assume) truck?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
When you go, take water....lots of water.

Doesn't look like you will ever have to worry about cutting the grass.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow. You are living a dream.  Northern Arizona is beautiful.  I used to go up north every chance I had when I lived in Phoenix.
There is nothing like this in the Carolinas. There is no wilderness BLM lands around here and nowhere to camp without staying in an expensive campground with screaming kids and barking dogs.

You'll love Arizona. Stars are amazing at night, get a telescope if you like stargazing.
You'll have fun working Japan from there. Europe is much harder to work from there but a good antenna and a kilowatt will help.
You know, it's amazing what a  can hear if you park somewhere in the mountains, away from civilization.

BTW, we have been looking for a travel trailer similar to yours.  I'll be pulling it with my 2016 4 Runner or my 98 I-6 Grand Cherokee.
How do you like your trailer so far?  Any issues pulling it with your v6 (I assume) truck?
View Quote

The biggest problem I have is with headwinds.  My Nissan maxes out at about 80 mpg AIRSPEED.  Do the math.  I don't have any issues with sway, even in strong crosswinds.  Be sure to get trailer brakes!  The Nissan has the 4 liter V6 that, supposedly, puts out 240 horses, but you have to be near red line to get it.  Overall I love the trailer.  It's plenty big enough for the cat and me.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Nm
Quoted:

The biggest problem I have is with headwinds.  My Nissan maxes out at about 80 mpg AIRSPEED.  Do the math.  I don't have any issues with sway, even in strong crosswinds.  Be sure to get trailer brakes!  The Nissan has the 4 liter V6 that, supposedly, puts out 240 horses, but you have to be near red line to get it.  Overall I love the trailer.  It's plenty big enough for the cat and me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to have a 20 ft Terry trailer with dual axles. It weighed right at 5000 lbs. loaded. My Jeep pulled it like a mule. It looked like a small ant pulling a huge white box behind, LOL. Usually I could easily maintain 75 MPH on flat roads. Pulling it up steep hills at 9000 ft elevation was a bit tough but I could usually keep up with traffic and get where I needed to go.
Have you been to J&G sales in Prescott yet? I used to buy a lot of cheap surplus ammo from them. Arizona has a lot of BLM land where you can go shooting. We knew a few spots north of Phoenix where we could shoot 1000+ yards. I wish I could do this in the Carolinas but everything is private property and densely populated.  It's almost impossible to find a place to legally camp in a wilderness. I know places but can only get there with my dual sport motorcycle.  Oh well...
Are you planning on building a house? A lot of people simply buy a single or double wide mobile home and park it on their property up in Northern Arizona.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
. . .

I used to have a 20 ft Terry trailer with dual axles. It weighed right at 5000 lbs. loaded. My Jeep pulled it like a mule. It looked like a small ant pulling a huge white box behind, LOL. Usually I could easily maintain 75 MPH on flat roads. Pulling it up steep hills at 9000 ft elevation was a bit tough but I could usually keep up with traffic and get where I needed to go.
Have you been to J&G sales in Prescott yet? I used to buy a lot of cheap surplus ammo from them. Arizona has a lot of BLM land where you can go shooting. We knew a few spots north of Phoenix where we could shoot 1000+ yards. I wish I could do this in the Carolinas but everything is private property and densely populated.  It's almost impossible to find a place to legally camp in a wilderness. I know places but can only get there with my dual sport motorcycle.  Oh well...
Are you planning on building a house? A lot of people simply buy a single or double wide mobile home and park it on their property up in Northern Arizona.
View Quote

I will be building a small home with a BIG deck.  Until then I'll be staying in the trailer.  This winter should be fun.  The property I have is bordered on two sides by BLM land, not state trust land.  I haven't walked the whole property yet, but I think I can get 1,000 yards from my proposed porch.  The land is slightly rolling, so getting a good shooting lane is going to take some planning.

I didn't get to Prescott this time, but I will before snow flies.  Oh, wait, that's next week.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I love it out there

Always wanted to move out there,  . . .wife says she'd miss all the green.

Maybe someday

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Make or get a NVIS antenna.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top