Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2015 5:36:29 PM EDT
Recently picked up a used IC-718 for my first HF radio.  I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but I have noticed a few things screwy.  Pardon my ignorance, I'm a mechanical guy.

First off, the RIT knob must be adjusted right of center in order to receive a clear voice signal.  The center position is OFF.  Any ideas why the received frequency would need to be increased?  Maybe the potetiometer is going out or needs to be recalibrated?

Secondly, the watt meter on the Palstar tuner it's connected to is indicated about 50 watts on SSB.  Max output setting should be around 100 watts.  I understand that the meter isn't reading peak, but shouldn't it average higher than 50?

Anyone know anything about these things?

Go easy on me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd measure the power using key-down CW and nothing else. Too many variables with SSB to know for sure,
but key down for a couple seconds (into a dummy load), average should equal to peak.

I always do factory resets on new radios. It's entirely possible some setting on the 718 is set to whacked level.

After that you can start looking for actual troubles.

Minor add: the owner's manual is a thing worth reading.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.  For some reason, I don't get any output on CW when hitting PTT.  Have to dig into that a little more.

I did do a CPU reset when I got it and I've been digging through the manual, but haven't found anything yet.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Check what the manual says about CW settings. You may have to select "straight key" mode to get an output with nothing plugged into the key jack.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.  For some reason, I don't get any output on CW when hitting PTT.  Have to dig into that a little more.

I did do a CPU reset when I got it and I've been digging through the manual, but haven't found anything yet.  

View Quote

You won't get any output with PTT.  Set the radio to RTTY.  Now key PTT.

Typically with SSB voice you will only read about 40-50 watts with the radio set to 100 w.  The meter is just not fast enough to
read peak.  In fact, some meters will only read about 25-30 watts, and nothing wrong with either the radio or meter.  Just the
way it is.

You should be LSB for 160 meters, 80 m and 40 m.  USB for 20 m and higher.  

Radio should be set to AM for the AM broadcast band.

Dunno what's with RIT for now, but do a reset.  ALWAYS do a reset, whether it is a new from factory radio or used but new to you.

Jup
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:31:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Main tuning should be able to clarify regardless of RIT position.   Could main tuning steps be set too fast?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Main tuning should be able to clarify regardless of RIT position.   Could main tuning steps be set too fast?
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.  I tested with a friend that was only a few miles away.  We both tuned to the same frequency, but I had to use the RIT control to bring him in clearly.  I'm wondering if the RIT is going out or isn't calibrated correctly.  My tx on his end was good so it seems like its the rx side only.

There is a procedure in the service manual to "recenter volume controls".  I'm supposed to get a "GOOD", but when doing the calibration the screen gives me a "NG" (no good).  Hmm....

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
For measuring power using ssb, you might try whistling or some sort of constant tone into the mic. Its better to use CW tho.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
So I don't know why I didn't remember this yesterday but tune in any WWV broadcast, on either sideband and with RIT off.  It should zero beat exactly on published frequency, i.e. 10.000 MHz or whichever one you are using.

For a good SSB voice power indicator I usually speak the word "four" with the vowel sound drawn out as long as I need it to be.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I always switch to RTTY when tuning. This should bring you close to full output power. An average output power on SSB Voice is usually around 20-30 watts, unless you use too much compression and microphone gain.
Being off frequency is weird. Check and make sure the radio is not set to operate in a "Split" mode. Split is used when a DX listens on a different frequency, to minimize interference from calling stations, so everyone can hear him.
Obviously, doing a full reset is the best option to start with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Found the issue.  It was a defective RIT control knob.  Soldered on the new pot and voila!  Thanks for all the suggestions!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Found the issue.  It was a defective RIT control knob.  Soldered on the new pot and voila!  Thanks for all the suggestions!
View Quote

GREAT NEWS!!!  Congrats on fixing it yourself too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top