Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 10:15:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
So many jokes... so many potential bans.  

I am not an Elmer but I would be happy to help if I lived closer.  I am sure we have someone near that can help.   Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Put out something on the grapevine for you.

Jup
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
FT-897 or -897D, portable.  There is one and one only option for tuner, the LDG AT-897 Plus.  Yes, Yeasu makes a
tuner, and yes, it "matches" the FT-897D better than the LDG, but that is like the guys that worry about the upper
and lower of their AR-15 not perfectly matching color.  The Yaesu tuner is good up to 3:1 SWR, but the LDG will tune
up to 10:1.  The LDG is the tuner to use, period.

If where you will be operating has AC power available, then the Yaesu FP-30 power supply that fits into the bottom
of the radio makes for a very nice all in one package.  But that supply costs about twice what a good Samlex
SEC-1223 or similar switching supply.

If you are going the battery route, be aware that using the build in batteries, which must be purchased separately,
the radio will automatically limit you to 20 watts.  I don't know of a way to override that.  On the other hand, with the
capacity of those batteries being so small, well, it is what it is.  I think you'd be much better off with an outboard
battery of some sort and dial in the power you wish to use.

A 40-10 m OCFD all rolls up small, can be easily strung up, works the bands you need, and with 50' of RG-8X and
some paracord, you are in business.  Let me suggest the 41' & 25' split, with a 4:1 current balun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I'm not local to you, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help! It's such a good group of guys!
Good luck on your upgrade and future HF operations!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Got an Elmer lined up for The Beer Slayer.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

excellent request,....and excellent response  

More hams should seek an elmer,  . . . . .Field Day or what ever
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#10]
That's how we roll here at Arfcom.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

i am looking into a manpack unit of sorts as far as mobility  mostly for disaster related regional coms. for the most part battery operation would be off car/deep cycle batts. i would like to ad a portable battery eventually but i am taking this one small step at a time. i looked at a frame system on ebay but i just cant stomach paying 150.00 for a stamped sheet mental frame kit.
View Quote

I've got some kind of ALICE frame with 2 shelves. Shoot me an email and in a few daze I'll send you a picture.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's how we roll here at Arfcom.

View Quote

Truthfully, out of all the ham forums I've been to, this is the best.

ETA: The ARFCOM of Ham forums is ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it is harklawn that has a sweet 857 manpack

Personally I am not a fan of hf man pack but it's what floats your boat go for it
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

not real interested in using while on foot, but more of a self contained easier to carry and setup/break down for emergency base ops with the option of use while moving.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally I am not a fan of hf man pack but it's what floats your boat go for it

not real interested in using while on foot, but more of a self contained easier to carry and setup/break down for emergency base ops with the option of use while moving.

I'm on my phone so limited but hawrklin needs to pop in here. You will like his setup

The one piece of advice I can give is try and keep everything modular. A radio component, power module, antenna system etc. They can all be mounted together but plan for any part to.fail. If it is your radio, you can simply adapt your battery to another radio and vise versa.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The one piece of advice I can give is try and keep everything modular. A radio component, power
module, antenna system etc. They can all be mounted together but plan for any part to.fail. If it
is your radio, you can simply adapt your battery to another radio and vise versa.
View Quote

ABSOLUTELY!!!

That's why Anderson Powerpoles have such wide support, the de facto standard.

But also have other parts for the RF chain... a few jumpers, various fittings, 90 degree, female-female
"barrel connectors, etc.  This takes very little room, light weight, but can really safe the day.

Also consider a few tools, small multi-screwdriver, pliers, wirecutters.  

Have a few spare fuses for each piece of gear.  You don't need more than 2 spares.  A fuse can blow,
you replace it.  You don't see anything obvious, assume the fuse was just old and ready to go, replace
it.  Zzztt!!!  New fuse blows.  You look further, think you have found the problem and corrected it.  OK,
put in another fuse and go.  But don't just sit there replacing fuses.  After two fuses you are wasting
time and fuses.  It is time to take that piece of equipment out of service and use a backup.  Fix the
problem later when you have time and tools to do it right.  

I have a quart freezer (heavy plastic) Ziplock baggie with smaller ziplocks inside, each labeled with
the fuse size and which piece of gear it goes to.  "25A - Icom7200", for example.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty much how I operated from Afghanistan the last half of my tour. Pack everything into a backpack and set-up where I could. You could even get an iPad or other tablet and run digital modes too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#20]
UPDATE!!!

... to getting an Elmer for the OP.

Turns out they already know each other.

Am I an Elmer finder or whut????

Sometimes I amaze and impress even myself!

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

UPDATE!!!

... to getting an Elmer for the OP.

Turns out they already know each other.

Am I an Elmer finder or whut????

Sometimes I amaze and impress even myself!

View Quote
Seems like you are very easily impressed.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes.  I am.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The ARFCOM of Ham forums is ARFCOM.
View Quote

Dude, that is...profound
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top