Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2014 1:59:53 PM EDT
So since I got my license a few months ago, I have just been using (mostly listening to) a Baofeng UV-5R+ which is simple enough to program 100 channels or so with CHIRP and not worry about the endless and fairly confusing menus on the radio.

I just bought a Kenwood TM-D710G which obviously has a lot more features than the cheapie handheld. Is it worth the dollars to buy the RT systems software or will I do just as well with CHIRP?

(and yes I realize I just bought a $700 radio and I'm sweating $25 on some programming software).

TL;DR - Is RT systems programming software worth it?

ETA: I did buy both cables for the radio.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Kenwood does have their own software available for free on their web page.  Chirp is used in live mode on the Kenwoods, or at least with my V71 just so you know.  Still will need a cable to use any of the software, though.

ETA:  The OEM software is called MCP.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#3]
in your case, you may have to evaluate it. The software for your rig is free, as GCW posted. RT Systems software links into RepeaterBook, Radio Reference, RF Finder, and something I've never heard of called "Open Travel Plus".

It took me about a minute to get all of the MD repeaters and put them into my ic-7100, when using CHIRP on my ic-2820 it took a couple minutes of copy and pasting. Is $25 worth it? Maybe. Depends, because the kenwood software is free, and you have CHIRP too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
In true ARFCOM fashion.....get both.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice thing about RT Systems once you have the software programed if you get another or new radio and get the RT software for it all you do is copy and paste, download to the new rig and you're done! You DO have to have the right RT cable! I have the RT Systems software and cables for all my HT's, all my mobiles, and actually one for my HF mobile.
OH and it will do updates so you always have the latest version. Uh let me re-explain that! You have to run the up-date but it then up-dates ALL RT Systems software you have on your computer.
NO  I don't work for them it's just a VERY good product.
Sarge
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice thing about RT Systems once you have the software programed if you get another or new radio and get the RT software for it all you do is copy and paste, download to the new rig and you're done! You DO have to have the right RT cable! I have the RT Systems software and cables for all my HT's, all my mobiles, and actually one for my HF mobile.
OH and it will do updates so you always have the latest version. Uh let me re-explain that! You have to run the up-date but it then up-dates ALL RT Systems software you have on your computer.
NO  I don't work for them it's just a VERY good product.
Sarge
View Quote

I'll echo this. I have RT and I like it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I use RT for all my radios, really like it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]

I got RT SW/cables for both my 857D ((cause CHIRP didn't do squat for the fancy options on it) and the IC-7200 (which was so easy to program manually I only used it for making a backup).

Their stuff works, and while I was stunned to see their 'no warranty ever' statement, they did make good on a bad cable I got from them, so maybe the warning is all thunder and no lightning.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the RT for three radios.  It works fine.  I'm just getting into the Chirp so I can't compare yet. I would just get the free kenwood software.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#10]
A friend loaned me his RT software and cable for the Kenwood 281. I loaded up both of my radios pretty easily and returned everything to him.

I needed to make some changes and since I didn't have the RT cable, I bought a generic cable and used Chirp. The pita part about Kenwood is that live mode. Chirp works with the Kenwood, but it's not as good as the RT Kenwood specific software.

I use Chirp on my other radios just fine.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I use CHIRP because it works on both my Ubuntu and winxp netbook.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Going with the Kenwood and CHIRP software for now. If it doesn't satisfy my needs then I'll go for RT.

Rig gets installed Monday and then tuning my antennas Monday or Tuesday night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top