Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 7:08:02 AM EDT
I mean I know it's a satellite and uses ham radio (which is why I'm posting here) but I can't seem to figure out what exactly it does besides interface with the ham's PC.

FUNcube
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#1]
FUNCube is a satellite that is getting launched into space

Inverting linear transponder:
Uplink            435.150 – 435.130 MHz
Downlink        145.950 – 145.970 MHz

Telemetry:     145.935 MHz   BPSK

Or are you referring to FUNCube Dongle  which is a LF to L band software-defined radio?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VifIK31LfcA#t=281
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I should have been more specific.

I know that FUNCube is a satellite and that it has something to do with ham radio.  

My question is what is its purpose?  I've seen some mention of a data warehouse and a PC dongle and PC dashboard all associated with the satellite.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most ham satellites just orbiting repeaters?  I thought FUNcube was something different.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:08:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe this doc will better explain.

"The primary mission is to provide downlink telemetry that can be easily received by schools and colleges for educational
outreach purposes.

The target audience is primarily students at both primary and secondary levels and the project includes the development
of a simple and cheap “ground station” operating on VHF frequencies in the Amateur Satellite Service"

The dongle is the receiver targeted at this audience as a low-cost means of receiving the telemetry from the warehouse aboard the sat.
The warehouse appears to house the data from the on-board experiments as well as files that can be uploaded to be shared.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top