Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2013 5:48:03 PM EDT
Ok, I have always enjoyed building and testing antennas.  I for me the whole science part of antenna theory has been a big draw of the hobby for me.  I want to put up a vertical antenna for DXing.  I think I am going to use some of my tax refund money for it.  I am looking at the steppir big vertical.  Does anyone have any experience with one? I am getting antsy with my wire antennas.  I feel like I am hitting a DX wall at the moment. My current antennas are my 160m windom (I use this on all bands), an inverted L for 160 and 80 transmit.  I have a delta loop that I am experimenting with for 30m but it seems to do ok on 15m as well.  I am also playing around with a beverage on the ground (BOTG) for topband RX.  I missed two major DXpeditions this year, and I don't want it to happen again.  Let me know what all of you think about vertical antennas.  I plan on using it for transmit on 80 (using a beverage for RX) and for TX/RX on all other bands.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are going for big signal look at the dx engineering 80m vertical. Get the tip up kit and all if you are going to do it. Also the radial system is everything with a vertical.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone here with a 43' vertical and a SGC tuner (including myself) has been pretty happy with the results.

If performance on 80M is key, I'd go for the full 1/4W, but man, that's a big antenna.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Seek2 has the most reliable and far ranging signal of all of us on the arfcom digi net.

How many radials did you put down, Seek?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Everyone here with a 43' vertical and a SGC tuner (including myself) has been pretty happy with the results.

If performance on 80M is key, I'd go for the full 1/4W, but man, that's a big antenna.

How much power can the sgc tuner handle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have 100, 200 and 500W models.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:14:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That won't work .  Next idea...

If I use a non resonate antenna it needs to be able to do 1500w key down.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#7]
This:
http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/antennas/section/hf-vertical-antennas/part-type/hf-vertical-antennas-and-packages/brand/dx-engineering/vertical-antenna-mount-type/tilt-base/hf-vertical-antenna-type/monoband-adjustable/hf-vertical-antenna-band/80-meters/product-line/dx-engineering-80va-3-monoband-thunderbolt-vertical-antennas?autoview=SKU

With this if you want the tuner at the antenna. Otherwise a good tuner in the shack.
http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/antennas/section/hf-vertical-antennas/part-type/hf-vertical-antennas-and-packages/brand/dx-engineering/vertical-antenna-mount-type/tilt-base/hf-vertical-antenna-type/monoband-adjustable/hf-vertical-antenna-band/80-meters/product-line/dx-engineering-80va-3-monoband-thunderbolt-vertical-antennas?autoview=SKU
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I use an ultimax double bazooka at home for 80 and 40 meters usually, and it can supposedly handle a kilowatt and a half... although i have only ran 800watts into it so far with an AT1000pro tuner

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9391

i use a bunch of wire dipoles tuned for a single band as well...
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use an ultimax double bazooka at home for 80 and 40 meters usually, and it can supposedly handle a kilowatt and a half... although i have only ran 800watts into it so far with an AT1000pro tuner

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9391

i use a bunch of wire dipoles tuned for a single band as well...

I really don't want a NVIS antenna. My OCF dipole works well for that.  I am looking for the lowest takeoff angle possible.  

Thanks for your suggestion though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
How much space do you have for the antenna? Any tall trees around? Have you considered a vertical delta loop?
I think the second post was referring to DX Engineering Hy-Tower vertical. It sure looks attractive. 250 kHz bandwidth.
DX Engineering Link
Either way, keep us posted on what you end up purchasing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This will do what you want.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seek2 has the most reliable and far ranging signal of all of us on the arfcom digi net.

How many radials did you put down, Seek?

I have 30 radials, 24 feet long, on top of super crappy low conductance desert dirt.

On top 'cause it's so hard I can't cut the soil enough to get the radials in, and I had to
use an electric drill to make holes in the dirt to pin the ends of the radials -- those
plastic lawn staples actually shatter if I try to hammer them in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not using anything MFJ with an Alpha amplifier.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. No mighty fine junk with your Alpha? How about some pictures of your rebuilt amp? Is it working any better?
Would you recommend refurbished Alpha amps from HRO?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. No mighty fine junk with your Alpha? How about some pictures of your rebuilt amp? Is it working any better?
Would you recommend refurbished Alpha amps from HRO?

There is a thread if my Alpha floating around a page back or so. I have nothing personal against Mississippi's Finest Junk, however a component failure in a tuner from a company with QC issues could cost me $1000 in tube replacement.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Elijah,

What bands are you wanting it to cover?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]
80-15 at the most.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an inverted L for 160 and it works decently on 80m.  I have DXCC on 10m so I am not too worried about that band.  12m is not really that big of a deal for me, and my dipole works ok for it.  I may try and put up a loop for 10m at some point, but since this solar cycle sucks, it isn't that much of a worry for me.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I know it's not DX, but seek2 usually blasts into here w/ his vertical on 40m and 20m.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm currently using a Butternut and happy with it.

Did just put down a bunch of radials.

When I had my Alpha 99, I used an LDG AT-1000.  Only ran about 800 watts though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you considered a Hex-Beam?  I know it wouldn't help on 40 and 80 meters, but every time I hear someone using one, they have a great signal and audio. I think they will handle 1500 watts, too.  I hear a lot of DX happening on 17 and 15 meters, when I sit down at the radio with my morning cup of coffee.  A couple of those guys are using Hex-Beams, and they always seem to be having QSOs with DX stations, that I can't even hear.  

BTW, I've had great luck on 12 meters.  I'm sure you have heard me griping about not being able to hear Europe with my attic dipole, but in the past couple of weeks, I've made contacts with Spain, Portugal, Wales, Denmark, the Isle of Man, and this just morning, Belgium.  All SSB, and all on 12 meters. And I've heard several other DX stations on 12 meters, but couldn't break through the pile up.  I'm really starting to like it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have you considered a Hex-Beam?  I know it wouldn't help on 40 and 80 meters, but every time I hear someone using one, they have a great signal and audio. I think they will handle 1500 watts, too.  I hear a lot of DX happening on 17 and 15 meters, when I sit down at the radio with my morning cup of coffee.  A couple of those guys are using Hex-Beams, and they always seem to be having QSOs with DX stations, that I can't even hear.  

BTW, I've had great luck on 12 meters.  I'm sure you have heard me griping about not being able to hear Europe with my attic dipole, but in the past couple of weeks, I've made contacts with Spain, Portugal, Wales, Denmark, the Isle of Man, and this just morning, Belgium.  All SSB, and all on 12 meters. And I've heard several other DX stations on 12 meters, but couldn't break through the pile up.  I'm really starting to like it.

+1 on the Hexbeam. People seem to like them a lot. I talked to a guy in California who was using a Hexbeam and 100 W radio. He was breaking my S-meter on 20m band. He said Hexbeam is much quieter on receive than an equivalent Yagi antenna.
Kekoa, glad you are enjoying HAM hobby!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm currently using a Butternut and happy with it.

Did just put down a bunch of radials.

When I had my Alpha 99, I used an LDG AT-1000.  Only ran about 800 watts though.

This is what I currently use as a vertical. They are good antennas but known for breaking 47pF caps on 40 and 30M coils. New caps from the antena manufacturer are $53 each (highway robbery!).
There is a simple mod to keep this from happening. I had to order replacemet caps from Bulgaria. There were none to be found in the US for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on the Hexbeam. People seem to like them a lot. I talked to a guy in California who was using a Hexbeam and 100 W radio. He was breaking my S-meter on 20m band. He said Hexbeam is much quieter on receive than an equivalent Yagi antenna.
Kekoa, glad you are enjoying HAM hobby!

Hex beam won't work for my needs.  I still live in a HOA and that would not settle well. Which is why a vertical is on my list. I can hide it and don't have to get it high up in the air to get a low takeoff angle. Good thinking though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top