Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2012 9:35:17 PM EDT
I had to sell my 817 last year and even though I didn't really use it on HF at all, I want to get another HF rig after actually getting on HF for the first time at field day this year. So, I'm hunting around on QRZ and Universal Radio and I'm flabbergasted by these prices! Why on earth does the price on these rigs keep going up!?!

Anyway, I want a inexpensive HF rig; doesn't need a load of power or QRP, but something I can interface with HRD and do SSB. The kicker is I don't want to spend over $300 on it... What are my options? Any Chinese companies make HF rigs yet?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up an Kenwood TS120 for $150.00, and a Uniden 2020 for $175.00 off of QRZ. They are both older rigs, but the price was good for 2 radios that have served me well so far.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't want to spend over $300 on it

You'll be looking for used then.  Older Kenwood, maybe a 450 if you're lucky to find one at that price.  Local hamfests and maybe craigslist.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO-YMMV

I have done an Extensive Amount of "Low Price" shopping this last 18mo.  

I found HF rigs for under $300!
Most if not all were Not HRD compatible, or compatible in the sense that it made good sense to purchase some crazy interface to make it work in a ltd fashion.

If you could increase your budget about $150 you'd be on target (maybe just $100 but that may be a  stretch).  The Icom IC 718 can be found for $450+/-.  
the IC 718 is Full Power, and works with HRD, past that ARFCOMM has proven it is a reliable low cost rig..

Try Craigslist, your Local Club and QTH Swap Link

You will find a large selection of older Kenwoods in the $350-$450 range, the discussion rages on whether it's worth that for a 25+ y/o radio vs. a late vintage IC718....I have yet to come to a conclusion

again YMMV!
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I lucked up and got my FT-100D for $400 and my FT-857D for $500....but it was being in the right place at the right time with a little spare cash. Don't limit yourself to $300 and be in a hurry-save a 'little more' and wait for that really good deal. And if in a few months you haven't found a good deal and have a good wad of cash saved up––-buy yourself an IC-7000
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]
if you didnt want HRD then the Ten-Tec Scout 555 would get the job done.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Save more and get a FT-857D or FT-897D.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#8]

I do not know how old that rig is but my guess is that it might need a recap job which a lot of us can not do for various reasons.

I would steer clear of that.  YMMV

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:27:05 AM EDT
[#9]
There are several nice older Ten Tec rigs on Ebay that might end in your price range.

I have always used older equipment.  I just can't see spending a thousand bucks on a radio. My first HF rig was an HW101 I bought at a hamfest for $100 or $150 bucks I can't remember exactly. I bought it because that is what a friends dad had and I had used his a bunch and knew how to run it. I made a lot of contacts with that radio.  My second radio is the one I have now I bought from a Ham my dad knew it is a Ten Tec Triton 2 I think I paid $200 for it at the time this was 15-20 years ago. They sell for close to that now on Ebay.   The older rigs are fine if you get a good one but there is always some risk but keep in mind you can talk anywhere in the world on 100 watts (or less) and some wire.  

If you want to work digital and don't want to mess around making or buying a bunch of cables you are going to have to spend more money I suspect.

ETA: Talk to some of the other local guys sometimes guys have radios they aren't using that they will sell for a reasonable price to someone they know rather than hassle with online sites and shipping and all that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the info. The next hamfest in the state isn't till the second weekend in August, and I don't know if I'm going to drive the 3-4 hours it'll take to get there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info. The next hamfest in the state isn't till the second weekend in August, and I don't know if I'm going to drive the 3-4 hours it'll take to get there.

where is that? check when the next timonium Md fest is. then you have "frost fest" but that is in feb. where are you located in the state?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#12]
If you have a 2 meter rig, get on the local nets and check in. When they make the rounds to you for comments let the net know you are looking for an inexpensive HF rig to get back on the air with, and tell them you will standing by after the net if anyone can help. I bet you can find a couple of options in your price range.

There are quite a lot of old timers with a lifetime of equipment acquisitions, that do not do internet trading.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I second the save a few more bucks and get a 718.  Not feature filled which makes it simple to use.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I picked up a IC 718.  They started out at $499.99 and have gone up in price since it's release.

It was new, and needed NO repairs or cleaning!

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top