Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2012 5:11:11 AM EDT
http://www.iaru-r2.org/wp-content/uploads/IARU-WRC-Rpt-3.pdf

Do we get a new band?

Can we operate with more than 5W?

How long does it normally take for the FCC to OK this?

ETA:  Me fixey
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

No.

Have no clue. I should know but I don't. Being we are bound by this radiotelecommunications treaty we ratified nearly 100 years ago when a change like this happens I'm not sure of the process.

What we're talking about is that Amateur Radio has been allocated on a secondary basis spectrum on the 600 meter band. 472 to 479Khz. Forget homebrew dipoles as it would be nearly 1000 feet long. What I've researched is that a somewhat suitable antenna can be made as a loop with a matching network.http://www.500kc.com/WA1ZMS/index.htm Modes probably will be CW and narrow band digi.

The local club was asked to monitor the freqs of the experimental stations as we have a couple nearby. I don't know of anybody that bothered. Nonetheless, I am curious as this band seems to work very well in the 100 to 300 mile range which is a tough nut to crack on HF. I can vision the mad scientists of the ham community already at work cooking up antennas and transverters for our existing rigs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#2]
"The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded."

?????

But copy/pasting it in another tab, it opens.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes.

No.

Have no clue. I should know but I don't. Being we are bound by this radiotelecommunications treaty we ratified nearly 100 years ago when a change like this happens I'm not sure of the process.

What we're talking about is that Amateur Radio has been allocated on a secondary basis spectrum on the 600 meter band. 472 to 479Khz. Forget homebrew dipoles as it would be nearly 1000 feet long. What I've researched is that a somewhat suitable antenna can be made as a loop with a matching network.http://www.500kc.com/WA1ZMS/index.htm Modes probably will be CW and narrow band digi.

The local club was asked to monitor the freqs of the experimental stations as we have a couple nearby. I don't know of anybody that bothered. Nonetheless, I am curious as this band seems to work very well in the 100 to 300 mile range which is a tough nut to crack on HF. I can vision the mad scientists of the ham community already at work cooking up antennas and transverters for our existing rigs.

Of course the FCC is going to have to adopt this as well.

According to the people with experimental licenses right now the power regulations are EIRP, since the antenna's are so huge most, of the guys are running some serious loading coils. Because of the size of the antenna's they are running much more power from the rig since the efficiency of the antenna may be 1 or 2 percent.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded."

?????

But copy/pasting it in another tab, it opens.

The hotlink was created incorrectly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top