Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 7:05:45 AM EDT
My logbook has evolved since I got my ticket.
The only contact I havent written down was my very first...I was too excited to be having a conversation to write down the guys callsign After that I made a point to capture as much info as possible. These days I make sure to note the frequency, name, callsign, location of the other station, location of any repeaters or relay in between, the signal report, and even a notes section for info like if they are mobile, portable, Tx power, etc.

I've started playing with echolink and I log those as well.
Basically I keep a record of every time I make a contact using my callsign.

Is this SOP, am I over-documenting, or do some of you even record more info that what I mentioned above?

The whole thing is in excel, so 90% of the time (when Im in the shack) I just type as I make the contact, verify the call on qrz / ULS, and I'm good to go.

It's kind of a pain when I'm mobile using the HT....I keep a pen and pad in the cup holder in my truck to note callsigns, etc.

It's fun to go back over my logsheet and peruse all the dx contacts....lotsa countries
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#1]
i usually log freq, PL, repeater location, and call signs(names if i remember) when propagation is up on 2m. if im using the local repeaters i dont log anything. i dont have a HF rig yet so no logs for that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes,  most of my contacts are made by digital modes so I keep them in the HRDlogbook then upload them to HRDlog.net, eQSL.cc and LoTW. The rest I keep track of on an Excel spreadsheet. I made several DX contacts in the past month.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I log every HF and 6m contact. For 2m unless it's a SSB contact I don't bother. I'm looking at JT65 on 2m and if that gains a foothold I'll log those. Routine repeater or FM simplex, no.

QSL via LoTW, eQSL(ag), bureau, and direct.

(Taking a break from filling out QSL cards and wanted to see what was happening at ARF.)
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't log mobile 2m contacts.  But I do everything else.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]
so...what happens if you do not log a contact ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Nothing.  AFAIK you used to have to log every contact.  Nowdays it's optional and really just for personal records.  They can be used to help you get QSL cards which can net you all kinds of awards, most notably Worked All States (WAS) and DX Century Club (DXCC).

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1 What AFM said.  No 2m unless it's really unique, but everything else.  Usually recorded with HRD logbook.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the things I like about excel is that I built a conditional format that lets me know when I have a duplicate callsign....so when I work a station that I've worked previously I can see it immediately and then see the last contact (and all the notes associated with it....like band conditions, signal report, etc)

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing.  AFAIK you used to have to log every contact.  Nowdays it's optional and really just for personal records.  They can be used to help you get QSL cards which can net you all kinds of awards, most notably Worked All States (WAS) and DX Century Club (DXCC).

I believe you have to log 60M contacts.

Technically, what you log on 60m is the calculated gain of a non-dipole antenna multiplied by your amplifier power. You can't transmit on 60m with more than 50W. If your antenna system produces a gain you need to account for that and remain under 50W.  (And document it)

I just use a wire dipole and dial up 50 Watts. ( but I still log and qso's)
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]
In the beginning, 1991, I was an avid logger (paper of course), but I haven't kept a good log for quite a few years. I'll log interesting DX contacts and new countries, Field day of course, but no logs other than that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I log everything except repeater contacts. I do log repeater contacts in a seperate log when hunting repeaters when the tropo is working. I.ve hit over 300 repeater on 2 meters from my house with 75 watts and a vertical moxon
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I log all HF..

But I also keep a separate paper log that is much more thorough..

When I am listening I  take notes about who I hear..
Conditions, which antenna I am using, etc
For stations I hear, I record  Where they are, signal strength, the gear and antenna if they share it

Over time, it helps me understand what my antenna is doing.. Or more importantly,  what it is not doing
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't been real good about logging it's something I need to work on to get in the habit of doing it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I log all HF..

For stations I hear, I record  Where they are, signal strength, the gear and antenna if they share it

Over time, it helps me understand what my antenna is doing.. Or more importantly,  what it is not doing

What I have figured out after a while of doing this is that this is the whole point of the signal report (at least to me)....after several contacts in a short period of time I can look at my globe and begin to see what the propagation looks like, and get a good idea of where my signal is going.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I log all HF..

What I have figured out after a while of doing this is that this is the whole point of the signal report (at least to me)....after several contacts in a short period of time I can look at my globe and begin to see what the propagation looks like, and get a good idea of where my signal is going.

Problem is a lot of people have no idea how o give a signal report or just give you a 59 because it easy to log. I hear people give others a 59 or 5 something then ask them to repeat seveal times. If its a 5 you should have got it all. I dont think any logging software should have an automatic 59 entry. If I was in charge of scoring a contest I would toss out any entries that where all 59 contacts.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I log all HF..

Problem is a lot of people have no idea how o give a signal report or just give you a 59 because it easy to log. I hear people give others a 59 or 5 something then ask them to repeat seveal times. If its a 5 you should have got it all. I dont think any logging software should have an automatic 59 entry. If I was in charge of scoring a contest I would toss out any entries that where all 59 contacts.

Agreed - I hear a lot of DX stations trying to fish guys out of the noise, then give a 5x9 report....they might be an S9 against S8 noise, but then be honest about the readability. I think you have to take contest reports with a grain of salt...their priority is quantity, not quality. I'm more likely to use feedback from a ragchew (or even better, a good net)

A signal report isnt much help without knowing the other stations operating environment...their antenna system, power, etc. Maybe they hear me clearly because I have an awesome signal....or maybe they have a 200' tower with an 11 element beam and a pro-audio DSP. It helps to know what everyone is using.....and you dont get that during a contest, at least not usually.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Ha - the usual 5-9 report is a joke.  I don't contest but I will give contesters a call from time to time.  Always barefoot, I KNOW I'm almost never S-9 at the other end but after I repeat my call and location a couple times (which is absolute proof my readability is less than 5) they always say I'm 5-9.

Logging - in my early Ham days (1978) I bought a logbook and I put maybe three entries in it then tossed it in a drawer somewhere.  I think it was still required then, but I never was all that scared of the Radio Cops.  If a particular contact is memorable I will remember it without a logbook.  Documentation is a thing I do at work, all day, every day - and when I go play radio it is for fun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 What AFM said.  No 2m unless it's really unique, but everything else.  Usually recorded with HRD logbook.

I do log the local 2m ARES Net on Sunday evenings, and other 2m contacts made from the base station, but just not mobile.  I don't think it would be safe to drive, talk on the radio, and make notes for the log.  I have, on occasion, pulled over and made notes to contact another ham later, jot down his call sign.  I do this sometimes when out of my usual area and repeater range.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I only log HF contacts. I either use Winlog32 or the logbook in fldigi. I used to use HRD but I run Linux at home now and it's way too busy on the netbook.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top