Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 9:34:16 PM EDT
Hey I need a radio capable of running police freqs. in the 2m range for SAR. Anyone know of a good online retailer to get one from? Also, what would be a good radio? It needs to be able to store 16 freqs., be weatherproof, and I would like it to have a screen too. I have Yaesus for all my amateur radios so I was thinking maybe a Vertex VX350? Thanks.

http://www.vertexstandard.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=75&encProdID=A007AB249308C87704C353798252CBE0&DivisionID=64&isArchived=0
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Icom has a couple of waterproof models which might be a good choice for you.  The F50 is small, lightweight with lithium battery and waterproof, and plenty of channels.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume that its all conventional and not on a trunked system.

If you like Yaesu, take a peek at the HX370s. They're really popular around here, and they're made by Yaesu's marine sub-group. They're a great price, too:  http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Standard+Horizon+HX370.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay thanks guys I'll take a look at those. The radios that we have now that we can check out on searches are Icoms I believe. But I want my own so I know it works and that it is going to be reliable. And yes, it is conventional and not trunked.

Edit: Damn, that Icom is EXPENSIVE!! The Yaesu is a great price but it looks like its primarily a marine radio and you have to have the channels programmed by a dealer? I want something that I can program in the field if need be.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Bottom of page 7

I have mine set up with Sheriff SAR frequency.  Yes you have to program it yourself, not real hard and a solid radio.

[ETA  Most SAR frequencies are set so there shouldn't be a need to reprogram in the field.  WIth 40 channels available you'll have plenty left over for MURS or 2M use. /ETA]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have heard of people opening their amateur radios to work on SAR freqs too. Could I just do that instead of buying a whole new radio and just using the one I have?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bottom of page 7

I have mine set up with Sheriff SAR frequency.  Yes you have to program it yourself, not real hard and a solid radio.

So you can't program the radio from the actual radio? YOu have to do it from the software? I LOVE the price of it and it seems to have good reviews.

Edit: So after reading that whole thread that seems like the perfect radio for my uses. It is rugged, waterproof, has a good display, is cheap, and seems easy to program if I can get my hands on that software (if anyone knows where I can get it that would be great).
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have heard of people opening their amateur radios to work on SAR freqs too. Could I just do that instead of buying a whole new radio and just using the one I have?

In a word, No.  You can't use a radio typed for Amateur use out of band unless it is an emergency.  You can use the HX370S for both, legally.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a word, No.  You can't use a radio typed for Amateur use out of band unless it is an emergency.  You can use the HX370S for both, legally.

So where did you get the programming software for the radio? Does it come with it or do you have to buy it? I can't seem to find it online. THanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So you can't program the radio from the actual radio? YOu have to do it from the software? I LOVE the price of it and it seems to have good reviews.

Correct, only via the software.  Again, I doubt there would be any change in SAR frequencies since that would require changing the local LE radios that most likely require programming as well.  Bring your laptop and at the briefing, if there are new frequencies to be used you could program them in before you depart.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

in a nutshell...
radios for SAR applications must be FCC type accepted.
FCC type acceptance does not permit in-the-field, front panel programming. (*)

ar-jedi

(*) some high end FCC type-accepted Moto HT's –– with the right programming SW and non-trivial codeplug gymnastics –– can be set up for front panel programming.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like I'm just gonna pull the trigger on this HX370. Seems like the perfect radio for what I need to use it for.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Kenwood TK2180 :)  

I use it for Ham, Police and as an expensive scanner

It's a commercial radio with lot's of features.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top