Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 174
Posted: 3/19/2020 12:46:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gyprat]
This post contains the latest and greatest information. It will be edited to reflect any changes, if required.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update (11/29/22):
Propagation has been decent. We have been able to continue the nets on 40 meters only.
Due to winter propagation, we may have to do the net on 80 meters. Look for posts before the net starts to verify band and frequency selected for the net.

ARFCOM (American Radio Friendship Community net), weekly SSB Phone net. Each Tuesday, at 8:00 PM Eastern.

7.213 Mhz primary frequency, plus/minus QRM

7.285 Mhz secondary frequency, plus/minus QRM
. Most of the time we and up on this frequency, 7.285 Mhz.

Exact frequency will be posted (on the last page) before each net starts.
---------------------------------

----------------------------------
FYI. For 80m nets only (when 40m propagation is poor):
Due to the frequent 80m band congestion and multiple "rag chew" nets, it's not practical to use Arfcom frequencies on the 80m band. Net Control Station will find an open frequency and post it here.

We'll try to keep it near 3.861 Mhz, +/- QRM (usually +10, -10 Khz but not always)

We'll keep it within the "General Class" portion of the band.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone is encouraged to participate. Feel free to give us your situation report.
For the newbies: This net is held on shortwave amateur radio frequencies. You need a General, Advanced or Extra class, amateur radio license and all appropriate radio equipment to participate.
Want to become a ham? Read here first. Feel free to ask any questions or post your suggestions.

73!
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Heard everyone really well tonight.  If UPS does their job I should be able to add another 3db+ to my signal next week.  (Before anyone says anything,, I know I don't need to run power to get into the net, 100 watts does it easily, but running power seems to keep the frequency owners at bay.)
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FlatlandBusa:
Heard everyone really well tonight.  If UPS does their job I should be able to add another 3db+ to my signal next week.  (Before anyone says anything,, I know I don't need to run power to get into the net, 100 watts does it easily, but running power seems to keep the frequency owners at bay.)
View Quote

You and Cory have great audio that is easy to understand. You speak slow enough for me to get 99.5% of your transmissions. You are understandable at 100w but depending on propagation, you can peg the meter with power.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Apparently, I STILL haven't sorted out my antenna issues.  I'm kinda getting tired of trying to run wires through trees in the dark lol

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Redneck_in_Texas:
Apparently, I STILL haven't sorted out my antenna issues.  I'm kinda getting tired of trying to run wires through trees in the dark lol

View Quote

What happened?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

What happened?
View Quote

Zero Five vertical 43'
My remote tuner LDG- RT-100 went TU.
Only other antenna I have currently is a 2+ year old Chameleon Emcomm II.  About the size of a beer can.  Has a wing nut for long wire to transmit on the top and a pl259 on the bottom, with another wingnut for a counterpoise.  Drop dead simple for the most part.  
I should have just ran the wire in the tree in the daylight.  But, I thought it might feed the 43' vertical if I just remove the transformer at the bottom of the vertical and feed it from the long wire of the Emcomm.  It would tune remarkably well...on the receive.  Transmit,  SWR less than 1.5:1  on 10/20/40 meters using the internal tuner on my 7300.  .  But VERY poor transmit.  I could hardly make myself out on a shortwave receiver in the shack.  Radiating antenna less than 150 feet away and can't make out what I was saying.  

I have a new remote tuner coming.  I'm gonna try to get the emcomm up in the air tonight. See if pskreporter can make me out.  
I'm not going to try to just throw the wire over a tree this time.  

I figure I can feed it on the ground outside my shack.  Tie about 30' of paracord on the end of the 60' radiator and tie it to the top of the 43' vertical as a sloper antenna.  20' should be enough isolation from the vertical.  

Unfortunately, on my whole 10 acres, the tallest structure is the 43' zero five vertical.  The second tallest is a 25' pecan tree next to my house.   Hence why I went with the vertical.  
I'm still working on my radial system.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I knew enough to offer you advice, but will leave that to the more experienced folks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Zero Five vertical 43'
Only other antenna I have currently is a 2+ year old Chameleon Emcomm II.  About the size of a beer can.  Has a wing nut for long wire to transmit on the top and a pl259 on the bottom, with another wingnut for a counterpoise.  Drop dead simple for the most part.  
I should have just ran the wire in the tree in the daylight.  But, I thought it might feed the 43' vertical if I just remove the transformer at the bottom of the vertical and feed it from the long wire of the Emcomm.  It would tune remarkably well...on the receive.  Transmit,  SWR less than 1.5:1  on 10/20/40 meters using the internal tuner on my 7300.  .  But VERY poor transmit.  I could hardly make myself out on a shortwave receiver in the shack.  Radiating antenna less than 150 feet away and can't make out what I was saying.  

I have a new remote tuner coming.  I'm gonna try to get the emcomm up in the air tonight. See if pskreporter can make me out.  

I figure I can feed it on the ground outside my shack.  Tie about 30' of paracord on the end of the 60' radiator and tie it to the top of the 43' vertical as a sloper antenna.  20' should be enough isolation from the vertical.  

Unfortunately, on my whole 10 acres, the tallest structure is the 43' zero five vertical.  The second tallest is a 25' pecan tree next to my house.   Hence why I went with the vertical.  
View Quote

A sloper should work fine. You don't have to have the transformer up in the air very far, 5' is enough. An efhw was my only antenna and it is still configured as a sloper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#8]

Zero Five vertical 43'

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Emoto:

What happened?

Zero Five vertical 43'

Maybe the 7300 tuned it in emergency mode and reduced your power to nothing.

I have checked into the net numerous times portable with a coil loaded 17' whip, short whip Tarheel and a short endfed random wire lower than 25' in a V.

Anything is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Tonight I am hoping to try out a couple of portable vertical antennas. One is a home made one featuring pex tubing and fittings, the other is a Gabil GRA-7350TC. Going to try them out with 20w and the G90 tonight. They are compromise antennas, and I hope you all can hear me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:24:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redneck_in_Texas] [#10]
Hope to make a few contacts tonight.  It'll have to be on a sloper.  After removing ~ 10' from my 100' coax run due to leaving the coax outside in the weather unconnected and uncovered for almost 2 years.  moisture was wicked up close to 5 feet from either end and corroded the braid.  Cut until I found shiny copper and remade the ends with amphenol's.  Loss is now .6db or less on all bands.  At least according to MFJ 259b.    

However, I am now ~2 feet short of the feed point of the vertical.  I am now limited to the 130' sloper wire I have in the trees to try to get out.  Until I can convince the wife that I just HAVE to order another 200' of davis rf bury flex to make antenna runs with.  

I'm attempting to build a multiband doublet with some ladder line I have laying around.  It'll have to be inverted v with center about 35' in the air, but hopefully I can get that up this weekend.  Weather permitting.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#11]
What’s the noise like tonight? As bad as this afternoon?

We on 40 tonight?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll be on my IC-7200 in my go-box (in my avatar pic), battery power, and using my Chameleon Tactical Delta Loop in the backyard.  We'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
S7 currently at the house, which is about as good as it gets at home.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Turned on my radio in the house, and horrible interference on every band. Thinking ah crap, radio is giving up the smoke. Said screw it, and put it on battery power, and the noise has gone away. My regulated power supply has something going on causing the noise. Guess I will look into that, and see if I can find the issue.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:32:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#15]
I am going to try from the backyard with frankensteeen's OCFD.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Must be nice out everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Do we have a freq yet?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By weaponeer1911:
Do we have a freq yet?
View Quote
pick one, your it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:18:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#21]
as of now7286
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#22]
im monitoring.  Awful lot of noise.  still daylight here for another 30 minutes or so.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#23]
If the net run til 1850 CST I'll make it.  Stuck at work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By FlatlandBusa:
View Quote
It's good to have someone around to chase away bullies.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:29:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#25]
as heard in NNY early check ins with a damn Russian jammer that popped up around 1900 eastern time.

Chris IL 58 s9
John NC 47 came way up on your turn! 59 s9
Bruce TX on battery 35 to 47 s5, went down to a murmur on your turn, good job working out of your go box, things that need to be done once in a while.
David MO 59 s8
Travis VA 59
REO IN 59 s9+
Gerard PA 3-4 up to 5-9 s9
Bob IL 59 s9
Charlie MI 47
Jeff WI 47

1927 hours and the jammer stopped!  I was close to changing to in and out.  Hence my early signal reports.

Gale WI 59 s8
Jason OH 59
Eric NC 59
John NE 59 s9
Dennis 3-3 but an AM radio station popped up right in your check in
Tom TN 59 s8
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#26]
It works.  It really works.  Helped when i swap to lsb lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#27]
im monitoring.  Awful lot of noise.  still daylight here for another 30 minutes or so.
View Quote

I'm copying you up in Central Texas.  Not too strong but full copy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redneck_in_Texas] [#28]

View Quote

I appreciate that.  I'm almost exstatic.  I finally got a signal out.  

What does my audio sound like?  Still setting up my 7300
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

58 in Missouri with a S7 noise floor. So just making the trip with my current conditions.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Just tuned in… band is good tonight
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#31]
And then it turned completely crazy. Noise floor is like 10 over now.  Band scope is almost white
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#32]
As heard in WI S4-S5 noise
Chris IL 59
Gerard PA 58
Jason OH 59
Eric NC 55
Bob IL 59
Tom NY 57
John NC 57
Bruce TX 44
Dave MO 59
Reo IN 59
Jeff WI 57
Bill NC 56
Patric TX 56
Me
John NE 59+
Dennis IN 56
Tom TN 58
William MI 58
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By taliv:
And then it turned completely crazy. Noise floor is like 10 over now.  Band scope is almost white
View Quote

tell me about it.  Was just setting up wfview on my mac hooked to the 7300 so my old eyes can see the waterfall.  I was just fixing to power down and its like someone hit a switch.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Great net tonight. More checkins than normal, some new voices, some people that haven't been here for awhile.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#35]

tell me about it.  Was just setting up wfview on my mac hooked to the 7300 so my old eyes can see the waterfall.  I was just fixing to power down and its like someone hit a switch.
View Quote

I came in late but heard you just as it was getting bad. Caught about 80% of your transmission from the TN/NC border
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:49:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#36]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
As heard in WI S4-S5 noise
Chris IL 59
Gerard PA 58
Jason OH 59
Eric NC 55
Bob IL 59
Tom NY 57
John NC 57
Bruce TX 44
Dave MO 59
Reo IN 59
Jeff WI 57
Bill NC 56
Patric TX 56
Me
John NE 59+
Dennis IN 56
Tom TN 58
William MI 58
View Quote

Your first antenna(s) were very light here in Missouri. Maybe if I was portable with half as much background noise I would have picked you up. I could tell it was your voice though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By taliv:

I came in late but heard you just as it was getting bad. Caught about 80% of your transmission from the TN/NC border
View Quote

Audio sound ok?  Hard to tell what I sound like. I'm still fiddling with mic gain and compression.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

Your first antenna(s) were very light here in Missouri. Maybe if I was portable with half as much background noise I would have picked you up. I could tell it was your voice though.
View Quote

Tonight was probably not the night to try them. When it stays light later, I will try them again in a better location.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Since last week, I have

A)Changed call for vanity
AI8L assigned 2/22/24

B)Cut the end fed long wire by about 15' to try to get it to tune on 80 meters.  130-135' random wire just wouldn't tune well on 80.  120-125' doesn't either.  Still seems to work well on 40 meters.

C)Put up a ladder line fed inverted v with center support at about 28-30'.  Chameleon URT1 remote tuner on a 2" water pipe underneath it.  Tunes beautifully on 6-80 meters.  Even tunes on 160 reasonably well.  I have made contacts on this antenna in the last couple of days on 10 20 40 80.  I haven't managed to make any headway on 160, but even though the swr tunes down to 2:1 or less over the 160 meter band, I think it's just too low to the ground to get out very far.

I'll hopefully be on the net tonight.  Really see how this dipole / doublet works.  

Patrick
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlatlandBusa] [#41]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Looking like S7 noise for me tonight.
https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;y=38.1864;x=-89.6375;z=6;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;
View Quote

I'll be running legal limit, so you should hear me, if it's early enough I'll likely hear you and can relay.

Edit: the lightning crashes are going to make a lier out of me, S9+10 crashes are going to make it tough tonight.

Edit 2.0: HF is surprising, I'm hearing everyone reasonably well despite the static crashes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#42]
SB 7285
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#43]
7285 has a lot of bleedover. Maybe it will go away.

waiting this one out. Bleedover from someone working 3 down on AM.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#44]
High winds here in NW Missouri. But 40M was great about an hour ago portable. Got a guy in southern MO and then all the way to NM and SC with good signal reports. Did not hear crashes from storms yet
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Can barely make anyone out.  Still early here in Texas.  

s7 noise also, so...
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#46]
When are we doing the 15m portion of the net?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#47]
ill be in and out if i dont respond.  Noisy
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
View Quote

Bad noise on the bands with storms across the midwest.

I will give other bands a try though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
View Quote

Did you receive the card I sent your way?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 174
Top Top