Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2019 9:32:53 AM EDT
Well I just ordered my first rod building kit. Ordered a 7' med heavy fast action, with all the kit to build it.
I already have my sights on a 7' light fast for pannies, and I'll probably make a few ice rods too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 12:24:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wingsnthings] [#1]
Link to source?

Found it
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a buddy that builds rods with their kits.  He's made me and my dad some pretty nice rods.  This winter I'm going to have him label my rods for their purpose: Senko, Ned Rig, Drop shot...
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.mudhole.com/kits-bundles/start-up-kits/New-Turn-key-Rod-Kits

This is the link to the turnkey kits, they come with the all the necessary equipment.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've built a rod on their kit.  My buddy bought it and he's built a bunch of ice rods.

For hobby building, I think they're great.  If you're wanting to build for production, you're definitely going to want a bigger drying rack and most likely going to want a better wrapper.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
So, the blank showed up yesterday, in a 1" PVC tube. The rest of the kit shipped from a different location and will arrive today.
I figure the blanks ship from the manufacturer. The blank arrived in perfect condition, if all goes well, I might be wrapping a fishing rod this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 1:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eclark53520] [#6]
Have fun!  It's actually very relaxing and fun activity.  Something that even kids can do if they are into it.

Think my next build is going to be a flipping stick.  OR a big fiberglass catfish rod...I need like 4 of those...
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mnhornet] [#7]
More rod building info as I go. I chose the full size cork handle, my choice. The cork comes full length, with a .25" through hole, a few hours and all 4 supplied reamers later, my cork and reel seat were ready to bond in place.
This wasn't a huge deal, but it looks daunting at first. After bonding the handle etc. in place it's time to layout the guides. I don't think they sent me the correct guide set, or I'm missing one in my kit, it goes from a 25mm od guide to a 16, I think it should transition to a 20, like my Fenwick does.
I sent them an email requesting the parts list of the guide set. I also mentioned the China marker they mention in almost all of their instructions was missing from the kit.
The equipment all seems serviceable, and I managed wrap the hook holder gimmick to the rod, this took awhile, and wasn't as easy as I thought it might be.
So, I'm in a holding pattern until I get the correct guides, or am told it is what it is. Sort of a bummer, I am really stoked to get this new stick out on the water.
I won big bass in my league last week 19.5" on a drop shot wacky, and picked up a one 3 Creed spinning reel with my winnings, so all I need now is to finish the rod.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]
my buddy started building rods as a hobby/side business last winter.  It's kind of addicting to look at various rod blanks and think "hey I can get a custom rod with similar specs as $200-$450 production rods for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost."

I'm up to 6 ice rods and 3 long rods now.  He's building 2 casting rods for walleye live bait rigging for me this week.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I finished the rod last night. It turned out okay for a first attempt. I didn't cut my tags short enough, and some are a little pokey.
Hoping to give the new stick a chance at it this week.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered another spinning rod kit, this one will be 7 foot, light power, fast action. I wanted another panfish rod, current panny rod is a 5 foot ultralight. My thinking is the 2 extra feet will make it easier to pick up the slack when bobber fishing crappies.
Not sure what reel yet, I like the one 3 I just bought, and may look for a smaller version for this rod.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mnhornet:
I finished the rod last night. It turned out okay for a first attempt. I didn't cut my tags short enough, and some are a little pokey.
Hoping to give the new stick a chance at it this week.
View Quote
I've built several fly rods, nothing spectacular.  When I pull the tags I pull them slowly until the tag end is just tight against the wraps and pinned there by the pull loop, then trim it as close as I can to the wraps with a razor blade.  Then give the pull loop a quick jerk - most all the time the tag end is completely under the wraps.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I did shave off the nubs after the epoxy cured, I could re-apply more epoxy, but I'm probably the only one who will notice and care. I'll be more careful burying my tabs this time around.
Top Top