Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2019 10:33:06 AM EDT
Wanted to pick up a couple for the pontoon boat damn they are kind of pricey

and reviews on $80 ones are really hit and miss, I think a couple cannon manual ones will work for the number of times they will be used

any advice? It will be for lake use
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Kind of ancient history as I havent used mine for a while.  I have 2 cannon manual downriggers for my boat.  They worked well for suspended fish. I used to troll rapalas at various depths and did well on trout.  I'd let out plenty of line to get away from the boat and then clip it to the down rigger and drop it to whatever depth, even if only 10 or 15 feet.  It worked really well to get fish on light line without a bunch of weights on it.

They don't work all that well for bottom hugging fish like mackinaw.  Ok, but not great.  Let them down till they bounce bottom, up a crank or so to not foul on bottom, drop it down to make sure your on the bottom, crank it up, repeat endlessly.

You have to watch for slack when the line comes out of the clip, I tried to use a lot of line behind the clip if fishing shallow, and closer to the clip when fishing deep. Think triangles and try to keep the hypotenuse as similar to one leg or the other as you can.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for info
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:07:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top