Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2021 9:59:18 PM EDT
I don't know where to put this so I'm putting it here.

November hunt, night temps in the single digits (rare but possible) and teens.  Mornings in the 20s and 30s.  Rain possible.  Wind for certain.  

Probably going to put down a foam mat and set up a tent in the bed of my truck to stay off the ground.

Interested in options for a tent and sleeping bag(s).  I don't have a grand to spend on gear.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hog fencing and, tarps.  Make it look like a covered wagon.

Mr. Heater Heater Buddy connected to a 20lbs propane tank.  Use the tank filter or you will trash the Heater Buddy.

Use a cot with your sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:39:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#2]
Originally Posted By tucansam:
I don't know where to put this so I'm putting it here.

November hunt, night temps in the single digits (rare but possible) and teens.  Mornings in the 20s and 30s.  Rain possible.  Wind for certain.  

Probably going to put down a foam mat and set up a tent in the bed of my truck to stay off the ground.

Interested in options for a tent and sleeping bag(s).  I don't have a grand to spend on gear.  

Thanks.
View Quote

With a foam pad under you and a good mummy bag, you should be able to stay warm fine.  Get a bag rated to -20F or thereabouts, because the way they're rated does not match reality.

As for tent... just one that will fit in your bed.  If you expect heavy snow, get a 4-season, otherwise a 3-season is fine.

You can also get a cot with the foam pad, and then not have to worry about fitting the tent in the back of your truck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

Mr. Heater Heater Buddy connected to a 20lbs propane tank.  Use the tank filter or you will trash the Heater Buddy.

View Quote

Dumb question: does the portable heater give off gas?  That is to say, its to be run with a window or two open, in a tent?
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

With a foam pad under you and a good mummy bag, you should be able to stay warm fine.  Get a bag rated to -20F or thereabouts, because the way they're rated does not match reality.

As for tent... just one that will fit in your bed.  If you expect heavy snow, get a 4-season, otherwise a 3-season is fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Awesome info, thank you.

You can also get a cot with the foam pad, and then not have to worry about fitting the tent in the back of your truck.

You mean sleep on cot + pad and forgo the tent altogether?
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I mean, I’m definitely no expert but I did spend a night out in ~20F temps in an improvised c-fly tarp shelter, wearing only ACUs, thermals, and wool socks, with a Snugpak jungle blanket and thermarest pad. It was not fun.

The next night I slept in the truck, still got chilly

I’d recommend a bag rated down to 0 (or below), a good pad, thermals, wool socks, and watch cap.
As far as a tent goes, the USGI ICS (Improved Combat Shelter) is rather inexpensive and should stand up to wind, rain, and some snow very well. The interior footprint is plenty big enough for 1 person + gear, and it should fit in your truck bed with the tailgate down (Assuming a 6’ or longer bed)
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Awesome info, thank you.

View All Quotes

Awesome info, thank you.

No, sorry - I still meant in a tent.  You want the tent to keep rain, snow, and bugs off of you.  But then the tent can be on the ground and you can still be super comfy.

TBH, the foam pad will keep you warm even if you're on the ground - but depending on the lay of the ground, it might not be comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 4:43:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#7]

Dumb question: does the portable heater give off gas?  That is to say, its to be run with a window or two open, in a tent?
View All Quotes

It’s designed for this purpose.
Heater buddy

I’ve used one of these since 2003 in a variety of places.
Tents are naturally vented, but trailers and camper shells need to have their vent or window cracked.

Oh yeah.   Get a piss bottle.  Or two.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 5:18:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#8]
If you are going to be camping out of your car and never plan on having to carry it I would get a rectangular sleeping bag.  

After half a dozen elk hunts squashed inside a mummy bag I got one of the Cabellas outfitters bags.  It is much more comfortable, especially if you toss and turn.  Since the horses were carrying it the fact it weighs a metric ton wasn't a real issue.   It doens't have a hood though which means you will need to wear a cap to keep your head warm.  

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-outfitter-xl-20-sleeping-bag
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
If you are going to be camping out of your car and never plan on having to carry it I would get a rectangular sleeping bag.  
View Quote

This.

Getting a Wiggy’s rectangular (hooded) bag to keep in the truck was one of the best choices I’ve ever made. It’s useless for backpacking but amazingly comfy.

If you’re still in Maine, I’d get a zero degree bag.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#10]
If you’re essentially just truck camping and have space around your truck, you could also just set up a large tarp over the whole truck or bed with some rope. Since you’re not hiking with the gear, just bring the best blanket/sleeping bag you have in addition to the foam pad.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I camped in New Mexico at elevation for a month in 2019. Several nights below zero, couple days it didn’t get out of the teens, and snow at the end. I was as comfortable as I could be with a -20 degree bag I got at sportsman warehouse in Albuquerque and a 2inch inflatable mat.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Hah.  If you're getting up to piss more than maybe once during the night when camping (but you don't at home), it's generally because you're sleeping really shallow, too shallow for your body to do the regular thing of suppressing urine production.  Getting more physically comfortable and/or just getting your brain used to sleeping in a tent usually lets you sleep deeper, and not have to keep getting up.   It happens to me the first couple times camping in the season, then I get used to it and it stops.

Now if you're getting up to piss a bunch at home, too... ask your doctor if flomax might be right for you.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 4:55:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#13]

Hah.  If you're getting up to piss more than maybe once during the night when camping (but you don't at home), it's generally because you're sleeping really shallow, too shallow for your body to do the regular thing of suppressing urine production.  Getting more physically comfortable and/or just getting your brain used to sleeping in a tent usually lets you sleep deeper, and not have to keep getting up.   It happens to me the first couple times camping in the season, then I get used to it and it stops.

Now if you're getting up to piss a bunch at home, too... ask your doctor if flomax might be right for you.  
View All Quotes

Well, then there’s the part about hanging around the campfire drinking beer aspect.

But I get what you’re saying.

I typically wake once to piss, then again around dawn- so it’s nice to be able to use a piss bottle ( with lid )
And climb back into the fart bag for a while.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, then there’s the part about hanging around the campfire drinking beer aspect.

View Quote

Hah, I get what you're saying.  I forget that I'm a bit different than a lot of other campers.  No campfire for me... when I camp, I've been quite active all day, and by the time the sun is getting low, I'm usually BEAT.  I set up my tent, cook some easy-to-fix food, and go the frick to sleep.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 7:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: purevl2] [#15]
Currently "camping" in ME.   Got down to 50 last night, which is great sleeping weather.
Wife and I have been living in this for over a year, and will continue until we find a place we like and prices relax.  We will keep this AWD high for domestic travel, domestic clashes and hunting/camping.   Makes no sense to sell it as we love it.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Hah, I get what you're saying.  I forget that I'm a bit different than a lot of other campers.  No campfire for me... when I camp, I've been quite active all day, and by the time the sun is getting low, I'm usually BEAT.  I set up my tent, cook some easy-to-fix food, and go the frick to sleep.  
View All Quotes

This is my set up for dirt bike/hunting camp when I'm by myself.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By purevl2:
Currently "camping" in ME.   Got down to 50 last night, which is great sleeping weather.
Wife and I have been living in this for over a year, and will continue until we find a place we like and prices relax.  We will keep this AWD high for domestic travel, domestic clashes and hunting/camping.   Makes no sense to sell it as we love it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/215800/20210815_104527_exported_1629229441704_j-2069188.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/215800/20210816_173948_jpg-2069189.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/215800/20210718_091135_jpg-2069192.JPG
View Quote

What do you hunt? Do you butcher your kills? I may have missed the pictures in the other thread.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#18]
If any of you old timers remember the Northeast Campouts in PA, we camped year round in a reclaimed strip mine.  We used a 3.5 season tent with a little Heater Buddy, doubled up sleeping bags and cots with a pad for insulation.  We camped thru rain, snow, wind, etc and we're reasonably comfortable.  I woke up one morning with my boots frozen to the floor...  it was 14 below zero.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top