Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2018 2:36:18 PM EDT
I am looking for a larger caliber that can take larger game like elk, black bear, and maybee moose but with lghter recoil. Will the 6.5 creedmoor do the job?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Creedmoor is a good caliber. Another option I would look at is the 7mm-08 Rem for hunting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on the distance. Have taken several whitetails out to 400 yards without a issue using 147 eld match. For the size of game your talking I'd go Barnes or accubonds. Ever look at the prc?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm assuming this regarding a large frame AR?

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor (a 6mm Creedmoor as well) It's a great round.  The 7mm-08 was what I was originally going to go with.  Only problem is that with the magazine length restriction,  use of the heavier projectiles with high BC was pretty much ruled out.  Bullets would have to be seated deep affecting case capacity so it would never really reach the capabilities.

If you are not planning on reloading or pushing the 7mm-08 and using factory ammo,  it would be a good round to go with. I was kind of bummed when I found that in my planning stage. I like the 7mm-08 round.

Both Creedmoor's are pretty nice. The 6mm is milder on recoil.  Both are very accurate. I've got about 400 6.5mm through mine, but only about 20 through my 6mm. It's new and just got it finished last weekend.  But from those,  I'm pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the 7mm but heard there are some accuracy provlens in the Ar platform. Also, I am trying to get as close to as effective hunting balistics as a .308 but with the least recoil and I hear the 7mm is almost the same recoil as a 308. Basically big enough to humanely drop almost all US game if shot well but also light enough to get a very accurate second shot if need be.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in AK and the 6.5 Creedmoor is my primary rifle for moose.  More than adequate for moose with decent bullet placement.  If brown bears are in the area, I carry a .44 magnum too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the 7mm but heard there are some accuracy provlens in the Ar platform. Also, I am trying to get as close to as effective hunting balistics as a .308 but with the least recoil and I hear the 7mm is almost the same recoil as a 308. Basically big enough to humanely drop almost all US game if shot well but also light enough to get a very accurate second shot if need be.
View Quote
6.5 Creedmoor would be a great choice, recoil isn't bad at all and is very effective on game animals. The 143gr Precision Hunter ammo would be a great factory choice for that task.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I live in AK and the 6.5 Creedmoor is my primary rifle for moose.  More than adequate for moose with decent bullet placement.  If brown bears are in the area, I carry a .44 magnum too.
View Quote
What is your bullet of choice for moose? How does it do on something that big?
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Swedes have been shooting moose with the 6.5x55 for over 100 years, so the 6.5 Creed is fine with proper a proper bullet for penetration and shot placement.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Swedes have been shooting moose with the 6.5x55 for over 100 years, so the 6.5 Creed is fine with proper a proper bullet for penetration and shot placement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not arguing it won't do the job, just wondering what bullet you use for moose.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Something bonded and heavy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hornady Precision Hunter 143 grain ELD-X

Proper placement (it's a big heart/lung target) and you have dinner for a year.  Moose die pretty easily when shot in the right place.  Some people shoot the .243 for moose.  Adequate with the right placement of course.

I don't shoot much over 300 yards, mostly because of vision limitations, not equipment issues.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Man that's nice to hear about the 143 eldx, been wondering how this bullet would work on large game. Currently running 129 ablr at 2800fps and debating on switching to eldx if I can get the speed up. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#13]
The Creedmoor is entirely up to the task of taking deer, bear, hogs, elk and yes, moose....

The old 6.5 Swede has been doing all of that for 100 years and more.  It isn't a big cartridge, but it works....  The Creedmoor is basically identical, from a ballistic standpoint.  Same 6.5mm bullets....  And the Creedmoor is definitely a "low recoil" cartridge...

The effectiveness of the cartridge is going to depend largely on the specific bullet used.  I think its best used with 140 grain bullets.  There are two things going for a 140 6.5mm bullet in the Creedmoor:

1) Sectional Density. Its got a lot of weight behind a small frontal area.  As a result, the bullets penetration VERY deeply, even though they aren't being pushed to super fast speeds.  Need an example?:  two men, both weighing 180 lbs.  Both stand on waist deep snow.  One has snowshoes, the other doesnt.  The fella with snowshoes sinks in 6 inches or so.  All 180 lbs are 'spread out" over the larger surface area of the snowshoe.  The other guy sinks waist deep.  All 180 lbs are being placed on smaller surface area of two size 10 boots.  Smaller area + decent weight + good penetration.

2) Moderate speeds.  This initially seems counter intuitive.  Faster seems better.  But faster stresses bullets harder.  They open faster and wider (see snowshoe example above) and this limits penetration, especially when the bullet scrubs off the front half of itself.  With modest speeds the bullet opens a bit more slowly, and less explosively.  Bullets often plow deeper....

The 6.5 Creedmoor is getting it done on elk as we speak.  And the 6.5 Swede has been dropping moose for 100 plus years.  Choose your bullet carefully , and you do your part, and its going to work.  No.  Its not an across the canyon 850 yard elk rifle.  And no, it likely won't stop a charing bull moose in its tracks.  But stick a 140 through the heart and lungs and that moose or elk are going to drop in 75 yards or less.

Personally, I'd look at using a Nosler Partition on  the bigger critters.  They open a bit more reliably at lower speeds than the TTSX and some of the other tougher bullets.  A Nosler Ballistic Tip or Hornady SST would be ideal deer medicine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top