Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2017 5:11:00 PM EDT
Can someone recommend a big game cartridge that doesn't have a lot of bad, punishing recoil?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Take take this as a smartass response. What game animals? 7mm-08 is perfect for whitetail but not moose.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Recoil is subjective.

What level of recoup can you tolerate now?

What kind of big game?

Personally I don't find the recoil of my 375 H&H, my 416 Taylor nor my 470 Noteo Express objectionable. I find them quite delightful to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can someone recommend a big game cartridge that doesn't have a lot of bad, punishing recoil?

Thanks!
View Quote
what are you hunting? there isnt much i wouldn't feel comfortable shooting with 6.5 creedmoor
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Well not that I will ever hunt dangerous game but I was thinking something along those lines.

I grew up in a world of .30-06s.

Just something different and cool.

I know recoil is subjective but there are some calibers out there that just freakin hurt.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
6.5 Creedmore
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, context is everything here.

If your area has small to medium sized whitetails in the woods and swamps (no real long shots) a .243 will work fine and is a real pussycat .

If you have larger animals and /or long ranges the "work fine" part of the above statement starts to go away.

Keep in mind standing up and taking a couple of shots while wearing a thick jacket is one thing and sitting at a rifle range bench in August with a tee shirt trying to zero can be something else all together.

If recoil is a problem consider if a lever gun in 30/30 , 44mag or even 357mag could work for your expected hunting.

I am of the opinion that many hunter folks do themselves no favors and fall for the whole bigger is better thing and are lousy shots because of it. Start with a easy to handle gun and land the bullets where they need to be.

I have a cousin who decided she wants to harvest a deer or two and the guy at the gunstore sold her on a 270. This was likely the only youth size gun he had for sale but the kid (who is 30 something and is in good shape) is several inches shorter than 5ft and couldn't weigh more than 90lbs. I can tell that .270 rings her chimes .
I found her a nice compact youth model .243 that I believe will work much better.

Here in CT private land hunting is generally 40 or 50 yards and the whitetails don't get real big so it should work fine
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
.375 Ruger in my Ruger Alaskan is quite pleasant. I trust that is a combination of muzzle brake,recoil pad and stock design but 270gr is not bothersome at all and will kill anything on the planet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I've a Sako 75 in .375 H&H that when not loaded to nuclear level isn't bad at all and capable of downing the largest game.

The case being tapered and not having 35-40 degree shoulders keeps the recoil impulse down.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#9]
They don't hurt when you're pulling the trigger on a big'un.  I had a Browning A bolt 300wm that hurt like hell at the range, but I never felt it in the field.  It was too much caliber for white tails.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#10]
9.3x62mm Mauser
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, context is everything here.

If your area has small to medium sized whitetails in the woods and swamps (no real long shots) a .243 will work fine and is a real pussycat .

If you have larger animals and /or long ranges the "work fine" part of the above statement starts to go away.

Keep in mind standing up and taking a couple of shots while wearing a thick jacket is one thing and sitting at a rifle range bench in August with a tee shirt trying to zero can be something else all together.

If recoil is a problem consider if a lever gun in 30/30 , 44mag or even 357mag could work for your expected hunting.

I am of the opinion that many hunter folks do themselves no favors and fall for the whole bigger is better thing and are lousy shots because of it. Start with a easy to handle gun and land the bullets where they need to be.

I have a cousin who decided she wants to harvest a deer or two and the guy at the gunstore sold her on a 270. This was likely the only youth size gun he had for sale but the kid (who is 30 something and is in good shape) is several inches shorter than 5ft and couldn't weigh more than 90lbs. I can tell that .270 rings her chimes .
I found her a nice compact youth model .243 that I believe will work much better.

Here in CT private land hunting is generally 40 or 50 yards and the whitetails don't get real big so it should work fine
View Quote
I shot my fist couple deer with a .22 hornet, neck shots were the rule, and very effective out to say 75 yards

Moved up to a .257 roberts, that was a better sniper up to 100 yards plus, no recoil to speak of, and did wonders on a neck

When i got my 30:06 , I tried a chest shot, knocked the deer over like a howitzer, I thought "what a Cannon"
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
9.3x62mm Mauser
View Quote
Yes. Adequate (with the correct bullets) for elephant, Cape buffalo, lion, leopard, grizzly, elk,....
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I like 257 Roberts. If I need more,  would look toward 6.5 x 55 or 7x57. If you can't tell,  I like the classics. 
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#14]
.270 WSM
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
.270 WSM
View Quote
LOL.  No.  

130gr at 3300FPS+ does not equate to light recoil.

Compared to 3006 load and my 308win gas gun.  I have a 270WSM.  It will slap you.  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes. Adequate (with the correct bullets) for elephant, Cape buffalo, lion, leopard, grizzly, elk,....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9.3x62mm Mauser
Developed by German Settlers of South West Africa (modern day Namibia) with the primary goal of having it use a standard commercial Mauser action and not have punishing recoil.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#17]
458 SOCOM.

All you need is an upper.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well not that I will ever hunt dangerous game but I was thinking something along those lines.

I know recoil is subjective but there are some calibers out there that just freakin hurt.
View Quote
35 Whelen. 8MM Mauser in an 8 lb rifle. 358 Winchester. Of the three I would choose the 35 Whelen as I can reload the crap out of it, up or down, depending on my game of choice. Brass can be made from almost (for the literalists on here notice I said ALMOST) any cartridge that has as its parent the 30-06 Spfd.

The only real advantage is a slight speed edge the Whelen has with heavier bullets. Is it enough to warrant another rifle? DOES NOT MATTER. Go getcha another gun.

ETA: Did not see the later post. For a very mild shooting game gun, I do not think you can do any better than a 7x57 mauser bolt gun. This cartridge has been used on every continent to kill everything from the smallest antelope up to and including Elephant. See "KDM Karamojo Bell". I shoot a Winchester Featherweight in 7x57 among other calibers, and would not hesitate to use it on anything with the exception of the big bears. (not that I will ever be in a position to shoot a Kodiak or the like).

And as with the 35 Whelen, it is a hand loader's delight, that also has a decent range of factory ammo available to use
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]
None of them kick when there’s hair in the scope
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I find it usually has more to do with weight of gun, stock geometry and fit than the caliber.

The physics behind projectile weight and velocity are well understood.  My .458 Lott Ruger bolt action shooting a 500 gn bullet should hurt more than my .45-70 Marlin lever action shooting a 405 gn bullet, but it doesn't.  The major difference is the stock geometry.

(Both hurt after 5 or so from the bench.)   Standing, I can shoot all day.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Very subjective from person to person.

Generally speaking, I’d probably say 6.5 creedmoor.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Considering the likleyhood of what you might need to shoot on North America I would say you should seriously consider a 45-70 it is a caliber that has had exceptional success against larger bears and only slightly less powerful than a .458 Win Mag but with the ability to hand load and load it down to very reasonable lighter loads while it can still be loaded up to some fairly strong loads.  I notice a lot of difference between a 300 gr and a 350 gr with some loads being even heavier cast lead bullets.  Originally designed to run 70 grains of black powder in a straight wall cartridge it has been around a very long time.  

If however you intend to hunt Africa the .375 H&H is a fine choice and one can hand load for it to make it work for a deer or elk rifle running lighter bullets or crank it up running solids or Nosler Partition bullets for extreme penetration this is a true dangerous game caliber, use it when you need it and buy a 22 mag or 17 hmr to play with.

Option 3:  If by big game you are talking about animals that dont eat people then buy a 7mm08  which is essentially a .308 necked down to 7mm and be done with it as it has way less recoil than a 30-06 but the ability to push bullelts that will kill elk. or go with the new favorite 6.5 Creedmors which is almost the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
45-70.  Infinitely scaleable for the situation.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I hear a lot about that 9.3x62 Mauser. I have posted questions about it before.

Maybe I'm just attracted to it because its exotic and German but I'm curious as to what you guys say about its recoil factor?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:25:33 AM EDT
[#25]
.338 WM. Stock with shotgun pad. Can shoot more like 300wm with 185's or hammer down with 250's.
Except for maybe 3-4 critters on the planet I would not feel under gunned anywhere man can travel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:34:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Maybe I'm just attracted to it because its exotic and German but I'm curious as to what you guys say about its recoil factor?
View Quote
In an 8 pound gun it’s not bad. Especially if the stock fits you. Something with cast off and toed out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#27]
If you’re pursuing North American Big game with an emphasis on deer, then I would choose from this list

6mm Creedmoor
257 Roberts
25-06
257 Weatherby
6.5creedmoor
7mm-08

They will handle anything you’re likely to encounter up to, and including, elk (granted, I’d stay within 200yds or so for elk and the .243/6mm.)
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#28]
.257 Weatherby is a good small caliber and damn near recoiless.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#29]
How does the 9.3x62 Mauser compare in terms of recoil, power, and ballistics to the 35 Whelen?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Very smooth shooting cartridge for the job it can do. 
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How does the 9.3x62 Mauser compare in terms of recoil, power, and ballistics to the 35 Whelen?
View Quote
8% more powder so in every respect it’s close.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#32]
You posted this in the Big Game forum.  So I'm assuming you are looking for something for elk,moose and the like...

Recoil seems to be dependent on a few things.  Rifle weight is one.  Stock geometry is another.  And speed of recoil is a third....

If you hate recoil, but a heavy rifle.  Period.    Forget the super flyweight rifles.  A flyweight rifle, even in something moderate like a 308, can kick HARD.  Heavy attenuates recoil.

Avoid seriously dog legged stocks, those with a lot of drop at the heel.  Think more along the lines of minimal drop at the comb and heel.  And find a WIDE buttplate.  When it comes to girlfriends and wives, wide isn't good.  But you want a rifle with a big wide butt.  

think modest speed.  You can crank a 180 grain bullet up to 3200 fps under a lot of powder in a 300 Magnum.  Or you can come up with a load using a slower, heavier bullet that generates the same sort of energy.  Think along the lines of 225 gr at 2600 fps out of a Whelen.  Although they offer near identical 100 yard performance, the Whelen won't kick as FAST.  To me, they feel more like a big push or shove instead of a vicious kick.

I've read over and over about how the old Remington 600's in 350 Rem Mag were hard kickers.  I bought a Rem 673 in 350 Rem Mag, loaded 225 grain nosler Partitions to 2660 fps.  This is serious medicine.  Recoil was very manageable.  It was a heavier rifle, with the correct stock geometry and a powerful, but slower, chambering.  In all honesty, it didnt seem much different than hot loads in my light Model Seven 308....

If you want a BIG game cartridge with big game power but moderate recoil, forget the magnums and look for a full rifle in something like an 30-06, 35 Whelen, 338-06 or the like.  Think heavy bullets at 2700 fps......

If you want a deer rifle, seriously consider the 6.5 Creedmore.  I've been a big 6.5 fan for years, long loving the .260 Rem.  The 6.5 Creedmoor is better.  It's got much better potential than any 243, it shots wonderfully, is accurate, has very mild recoil, and with all the new high BC bullets, it will perform at ranges that are amazing.  I just bought a Tikka CTR 20" in 65 Creedmoor.  Its wonderful.  I'm not thinking of it on anything bigger than caribou (its not a moose gun in my book), but for anything under 400 lbs, use a good bullet and its in the freezer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#33]
^This guy knows what he’s talking about.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Considering the likleyhood of what you might need to shoot on North America I would say you should seriously consider a 45-70 it is a caliber that has had exceptional success against larger bears and only slightly less powerful than a .458 Win Mag but with the ability to hand load and load it down to very reasonable lighter loads while it can still be loaded up to some fairly strong loads.  I notice a lot of difference between a 300 gr and a 350 gr with some loads being even heavier cast lead bullets.  Originally designed to run 70 grains of black powder in a straight wall cartridge it has been around a very long time.  
View Quote
Put it in a Siamese Mauser.

Load down to .45Colt or up to .458WinMag.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interchangeable.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#36]
D’arcy Echols makes a fine stock for taming recoil.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Somebody please explain the love for an antique German load when other modern cartridges do the job much better and don't come in crappy old rifles.  

A 308Win in a good modern design would be better than a tank of an old Mauser.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Somebody please explain the love for an antique German load when other modern cartridges do the job much better and don't come in crappy old rifles.  

View Quote
Not enough black plastic for you?  

9.3x62  is a classic caliber that balances recoil with down range power.

.308 is just the spoiled little brother of the.300 Savage.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
A 308 has roughly half the bullet weight. I wouldn’t want to shoot buffalo with one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some people are puzzling. I even know some younger guys that are pretty modern with a lot of stuff, but opt to lug around and stock up on silly old relics of rifles. Life is subjective. About the only thing I can stack it up to.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stop carrying 9mm or .45 ACP then and go with .40 S&W. It is modern.

9.3x62mm gives you big game performance out of a standard commercial Mauser length action without the punishing recoil. 

They got it right in 1905 and it is still right today. 
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

9.3x62mm gives you big game performance out of a standard commercial Mauser length action without the punishing recoil. 

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s a silly comparison, IMO.

.40 may be “modern,” but it’s a joke of a cartridge, another IMO. Not everything modern pans out.

308 is not modern either, dude. It’s an older cartridge for sure at this point. People just happen to make modern rifles and cartridges in that caliber today.

Silly comparison. Apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That’s a silly comparison, IMO.

.40 may be “modern,” but it’s a joke of a cartridge, another IMO. Not everything modern pans out.

308 is not modern either, dude. It’s an older cartridge for sure at this point. People just happen to make modern rifles and cartridges in that caliber today.

Silly comparison. Apples to oranges.
View Quote
OP said "Just something different and cool. "

.308Win is neither.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have the action, stock blank, ammo and brass.
One of these days I will buy a barrel and build one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#45]
AR 50 with a muzzle brake.

But seriously if recoil is the only limitation just have whatever you buy fitted with a brake.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Some people are puzzling. I even know some younger guys that are pretty modern with a lot of stuff, but opt to lug around and stock up on silly old relics of rifles. Life is subjective. About the only thing I can stack it up to.
View Quote
What traits are you thinking are modern and why are they better?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Utah, did I not state in the exact quote you referenced that 308 is not modern? I agree it’s not “different,” either. Though, I’d say it is “cool” enough in the right package. So, we seemingly don’t disagree. I was simply pointing out the bizarre comparison Miami attempted to make.

And, Combat, I didn’t even suggest 308 to the OP. If you look back, I suggested 6.5 creedmoor. That is certainly modern. I was just simply pointing out that I’m not personally into big, older relics of rifles. The 308 is at least still made in new “modern” configurations. Lighter, match triggers, suppressor ready, all weather stocks, etc, etc, etc. All from the factory. I’m certainly not going to recommend 308 if the OP is looking to hunt buffalo, as you once referenced. But 308 will also surely take damn near any North American game. I recall even hearing that 308 has regularly taken elephants for many years. You put a bullet where it’s supposed to go, many will work wonders.

I laugh when people act like 243 isn’t adequate for monster deer. Know how many monster deer I’ve seen drop right in their freakin tracks with one shot at 200 plus yards from a 243? Some people need to get over swingin dick calibers, IMO. A good shooter doesn’t need a 50 cal (exaggeration for emphasis).
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Utah, did I not state in the exact quote you referenced that 308 is not modern? I agree it’s not “different,” either. Though, I’d say it is “cool” enough in the right package. So, we seemingly don’t disagree. I was simply pointing out the bizarre comparison Miami attempted to make.

And, Combat, I didn’t even suggest 308 to the OP. If you look back, I suggested 6.5 creedmoor. That is certainly modern. I was just simply pointing out that I’m not personally into big, older relics of rifles. The 308 is at least still made in new “modern” configurations. Lighter, match triggers, suppressor ready, all weather stocks, etc, etc, etc. All from the factory. I’m certainly not going to recommend 308 if the OP is looking to hunt buffalo, as you once referenced. But 308 will also surely take damn near any North American game. I recall even hearing that 308 has regularly taken elephants for many years. You put a bullet where it’s supposed to go, many will work wonders.

I laugh when people act like 243 isn’t adequate for monster deer. Know how many monster deer I’ve seen drop right in their freakin tracks with one shot at 200 plus yards from a 243? Some people need to get over swingin dick calibers, IMO. A good shooter doesn’t need a 50 cal (exaggeration for emphasis).
View Quote
9.3x62mm is chambered in some very modern rifles. HK even made a Semi-Autos for it. 
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#49]
FWIW - Many(most?) of the elephants killed with .308s were poached and shot down with full auto FALs and similar.  It wasn't shot placement, but the number of bullets.

The best known story of a 'light' rifle being used on elephant is Karamojo Bell who used a .275 Rigby (7x57 Mauser).  But the 7x57 was known for its penetration with its original round nose, full patch (FMJ) bullets.  He shot over 1000 elephants.
Karamojo Bell

Also, I don't think of factory rifles as very interesting or cool.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
9.3x62mm is chambered in some very modern rifles. HK even made a Semi-Autos for it. 
View Quote
Haven't seen that one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top