Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2007 8:28:53 PM EDT
i'm curious.
if you have hunted on a guided hunt. US, North America, Africa, it doesnt matter.
did you guide carry a gun??
what kind and what caliber if you remember?

i have always wondered about that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
My African guide didn't.

My Idaho bear guide carried a S&W 44 mag, when we went to get the bear I shot.

I always go on bow hunts, and unless you are hunting a bear or cat, or African Big 5 they most likely aren't going to be packing unless there is an animal that needs to be trailed. At least none I have hunted with have.

Link Posted: 8/2/2007 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was a waterfowl guide, I always brought a shotgun.  I would always ask the sports if they wanted me to 1) not shoot 2) back up their cripples 3) shoot with them.  

On archery bear hunts in Canada, the outfitter will generally bring a 12 gauge pump stoked with slugs for the recovery.

In Hungary, the gamekeepers had stalking rifles, but they only came out if an animal (boar) was wounded.

Mexican guides had no guns that I saw.  But the American outfitters had guns there that stayed in country for use by the clients.  

Most of the guides I've used in Texas wore a pistol or revolver.

Link Posted: 8/2/2007 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Of the calibers I remember most the first which comes to mind was back in Spring of 1991 in the Chewore North concession of Zimbabwe.  The PH was carrying a Rem .416 and was involved in a firefight with poachers.  The .416 was up to the task.  He also carried his Fathers .577 double on occasion.  (Buffalo stopper)

In Alaska the Eskimo carried a beat Model 70 .270 Win.  

On another Alaskan hunt the guide carried a .416 Rem.

In B. C. the guide carried a .280 Rem mountain rifle.

For one reason or another those stick out.  I have not and never would allow a guide to carry my rifle for me, nor would I recomend it to anyone, anywhere.

Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
On numerous western hunts for pronghorn and muledeer the guide never carried a gun. On a bear hunt the guide did not carry a gun but I wished he had. It was not needed, my first shot broke the bear's neck, but the whole thing would have been less of a pants shitter if he had been carrying a rifle.

On my first African safari the PH carried a push feed open sighted 458 for the first part of my safari. That was for cape buffalo. Then he left it in the truck for the plains game part. On my second safari the young PH carried a push feed 416 every day. He never used it but he always had it with him. On safaris number three, four and five, the PH did not carry a rifle.

On several Texas guided hunts the guide never carried a rifle except one who had an old beat to shit SKS on the dashboard of his jeep when he took us to and from the stands.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I guided caribou for a while up in Quebec and I carried my 300win mag.  I never had to shoot a clients animal but I did have one guy shoot thru his magazine and the left overs in his box of twenty then I gave him my rifle and he finally hit it.  He swore up and down he didn't need to sight his rifle in when he flew in to camp.  He was pretty quiet when the guys were ribbing him when we got back.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
i have guided a bit for ducks and always carried 2 extra shotguns. an 1100 and an 870 as a insurance gun.

i never shot until everyone else had limits or they invited me to shoot.
since i handled everything from dog handling to making sure coffee was poured.

i was lucky, the few i guided for were excellent about their experiences. i am glad to say that i never had a negative moment.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 3:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i have guided a bit for ducks and always carried 2 extra shotguns. an 1100 and an 870 as a insurance gun.

i was lucky, the few i guided for were excellent about their experiences. i am glad to say that i never had a negative moment.

I presume you didn't guide for very long?  

I "worked" in Southern Illinois at a high volume goose camp, and also for *1* season in Michigan.  I had a lot of good repeat customers and word of mouth new ones, but there were times I wanted to buttstroke a bitch in the blind...

- Like the time I had four sports from Chicago show up, all with ported 10 ga. guns.  Have you ever heard what a ported gun sounds like in a pit blind?   To top it off, I would put flocks in their lap....you could have killed these birds with .410 skeet loads, but they never cut a feather with their goose guns.  

- The time a guy accidentally dropped a couple shells into the salamander stove and didn't mention a thing 'cause he was embarassed.  Oh they blew up and showered us with hot cinders.

- The myriad of ass's who thought it would be a good idea to bring a 12 pack of Bud out to the pit.

- The "I've only got lead" guys...two years after the switch and right outside a federal refuge.  

Most were good sports, and I especially liked taking kids out for their first big hunt.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I presume you didn't guide for very long?  

I "worked" in Southern Illinois at a high volume goose camp, and also for *1* season in Michigan.  I had a lot of good repeat customers and word of mouth new ones, but there were times I wanted to buttstroke a bitch in the blind...

- Like the time I had four sports from Chicago show up, all with ported 10 ga. guns.  Have you ever heard what a ported gun sounds like in a pit blind?   To top it off, I would put flocks in their lap....you could have killed these birds with .410 skeet loads, but they never cut a feather with their goose guns.  

- The time a guy accidentally dropped a couple shells into the salamander stove and didn't mention a thing 'cause he was embarassed.  Oh they blew up and showered us with hot cinders.

- The myriad of ass's who thought it would be a good idea to bring a 12 pack of Bud out to the pit.

- The "I've only got lead" guys...two years after the switch and right outside a federal refuge.  

Most were good sports, and I especially liked taking kids out for their first big hunt.  
i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/PAS48329/img009.jpg

i guided for about 6 years, but i had a private clientele. owners of the company my father worked for were from back east and they would come in several times a year and bring friends.

i dont think i could waterfowl guide with the general publik.
i would probably drown them..

ported guns of anytype are banned with me..those are minions of the devil.
not in my boat or blind. haha
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Never had a guide carry a gun (in Wyoming or Montana), even on a Bear hunt in B.C. (kinda expected it for bear).  Actually had the guide take the gun away from a hunter who repeatedly missed a wounded bear and was down to his last round. (guide walked up to bear and gave him a neck shot).
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Hunted with a guide for caribou in Alaska.  The guide had a rifle, but he never carried it out of camp.  It always stayed in his tent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top