Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2021 8:59:55 PM EDT
Any gotchas on a 2002 log cabin? Does not appear to be a "kit" home.  Its roughly 2300 sq foot and very nicely done.  In concerned about termites/wood issues though. Thoughts?  I can PM a link if someone knowledgeable wants to take a look.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My house is an early 90s log cabin. All the wood is still in great shape. The south end of the house gets sun baked and requires a lot more staining. I spray for termites in the spring and haven't seen any evidence of them.

My only complaint is that is drafty, all the seams are well caulked but I can still feel cold air coming in by the outlets. My home was built before house wrap was common, the one you're looking at may have it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure where you live, but wood boring bees can be problematic and cause damage pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a member here that builds them. Canoe guy or something.

My parents have a 7200-7400sq ft log home built in 2007. Kuhn brothers was the package builder. 60% 8in D logs, 40% stick frame with log siding.

We’re having issues with some of the outer lodge pole pines being rotted from the inside out.  Error on wood selection.

Otherwise, keep up with monthly bug spraying.

No mulch within 20 yards of the building. Certain plants also help keep bugs away - be prepared for “simple” landscaping.

We stain the wind / sun side every 3 years or so.  Entire house every other time. There are stains that are much better than others in terms of bug protection.

Birds are an issue. So are carpenter bees. Be prepared to fill holes ASAP.

Any exposed wood that’s not heavily treated you’ll probably want to wrap in metal.

Link Posted: 10/26/2021 1:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't own a log home.  They look great if cared for but they require a LOT of maintenance.  They are expensive to heat in a cold environment.  Run away.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd want to go look at it when its raining and see if there is water splashing on the logs anywhere, especially if there are any decks attached. I'd also be looking for ~24" overhangs with gutters and good drainage. Some rain blowing on the logs during a bad storm is one thing, rainwater coming off the roof and splashing up on the logs every single time it rains is another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top