Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/3/2020 5:41:21 PM EDT
First time hummingbird feeder here. We have seen them flying about several times in the evening, so decided to buy a glass feeder. Filled it with the mixed clear hummingbird food, and hung the feeder from second floor balcony rail via an angled bracket. We have not seen ANY hummingbirds since putting the feeder up - a week ago. I figured we’d see them at the feeder a lot. So, are they being wary of a new feeder? Maybe it’s too close to the house? We spend time on the balcony. I’m beginning to wonder what the deal is.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It will take a while to notice it, once they do they'll come around.  I just put up a second one in the back of my house, they haven't found it yet.  This guy came by this morning.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice pic. Yeah I’m thinking it will take some time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Same boat. Put one in two weeks ago and nothing.  The reason I put one n because I saw two in the backyard.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
We hang them on the porches and they were on ours as soon as we put it up. I think we have some of the same birds as last year, one sits on the same branch and attacks any other that comes to it, like last year. We didn't put up the second one and the birds still go to the location and it looks like they are thinking WTF where is the feeder?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like distance from house/windows isn’t an issue. The first evening it was up, one hummingbird flew to it and hovered a few seconds, then split. Shattered dreams LOL. Nothing seen since.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know why the one who found it the day you put it up didn't drink, but now that it's been up a week it's time to wash it out and put fresh juice in it.

I just use plain sugar and water.
I put a 1/4 cup of sugar in a cup of (chlorine free) water, bring it to a boil in the microwave, and wash the feeder while it cools down.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xtrastout:
We hang them on the porches and they were on ours as soon as we put it up. I think we have some of the same birds as last year, one sits on the same branch and attacks any other that comes to it, like last year. We didn't put up the second one and the birds still go to the location and it looks like they are thinking WTF where is the feeder? 
View Quote

Had one come and chastise me yesterday for not putting ours out yet.
Put them out about an hour later. One just finally stopped by for a drink.
They buzz me when I'm outside doing yardwork and the feeders are empty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're putting a garden out, scarlet runner beans are like hummingbird crack.  They're a trellis bean with have a bright orange flower.

Last year while working in the garden, I had about eight birds on the beans at once.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I put one out about 3 weeks ago . It took a week to be noticed , I had Hummingbirds show up for a few days . Then they were gone ,  I read you should replace the suger water evey 5 days or or so because it starts to ferment .

I changed it they came back . Since it has gotten hotter ( 98 to 103 ) I haven't seen them .
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll just throw out a few hummer pics.

DSC_8556-Chitter by FredMan, on Flickr

Hummer Hover Wings Back by FredMan, on Flickr

Female Ruby-Throated Hover by FredMan, on Flickr

Ruby-throated Hover by FredMan, on Flickr

Speed Brakes by FredMan, on Flickr

Singing In The Rain by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#11]
We live in the woods. I had 4 feeders out last year and they all got mobbed. I’ve got the first two out now and refilled them once already, there are a ton of males but no females here yet.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m just here for the pictures!

Still no activity on my feeder.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Rocklock:
I put one out about 3 weeks ago . It took a week to be noticed , I had Hummingbirds show up for a few days . Then they were gone ,  I read you should replace the suger water evey 5 days or or so because it starts to ferment .

I changed it they came back . Since it has gotten hotter ( 98 to 103 ) I haven't seen them .
View Quote

It’s been mid 90’s here lately. The juice has to be damn hot till the sun goes down. Maybe they don’t want to burn their tongue LOL.
ETA: I’m cleaning and refilling feeder shortly. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I get tired of ours chewing me out because the feeder is empty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is one . Not the grearest picture .
But there it is .
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Sigh.....
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bollocks44:

It’s been mid 90’s here lately. The juice has to be damn hot till the sun goes down. Maybe they don’t want to burn their tongue LOL.
ETA: I’m cleaning and refilling feeder shortly. Fingers crossed.
View Quote

Try putting the feeder in some shade. Ours are under the eaves and only in direct sun for a few minutes after sunrise.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Try putting the feeder in some shade. Ours are under the eaves and only in direct sun for a few minutes after sunrise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It’s been mid 90’s here lately. The juice has to be damn hot till the sun goes down. Maybe they don’t want to burn their tongue LOL.
ETA: I’m cleaning and refilling feeder shortly. Fingers crossed.

Try putting the feeder in some shade. Ours are under the eaves and only in direct sun for a few minutes after sunrise.

Same here, all of ours are under our eaves. In the hot part of summer they get cloudy in about 3-4 days so I clean, bleach, and fill them twice a week.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

It’s pretty much shaded until about 3 pm when the sun is on the west side of the house. Sun is down around 8 pm. There’s plenty of shade on the feeder the rest of the day but the temperature is 90’s. Can’t change that LOL
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Saw my first of the year at the feeder today (Shenandoah Valley VA).

Hit and run, probably passing through.

It's been a very damp and chilly spring thus far.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#24]
If you still have spring flowers around they will just about ignore your feeders.

They don't hit ours until mid May even though we see them in the yard.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

This is my feeder. No wasps/bees/hornets/anything ever around or on it.
Item Description From seller:
Enjoy this dual purpose hummingbird feeder day and night! The beautiful thick hand blown glass feeder is sure to attract a variety of hummingbirds and the decorative basket and hanger has 3 built-in perches which encourages longer feeder times from your winged visitors. The feeder transforms into a decorative hanging lantern at night with the LED lights in the lid.

Beautiful, thick, hand blown glass in vibrant colors
Extra wide opening enables easier filling and cleaning; all parts easily remove and glass pieces are dishwasher safe
Gaskets on lid and flowers provide a tight leak-free fit
LED light with rechargeable battery
Decorative hanging basket with perching rings allows hummingbirds to perch for more comfortable feeding
Series Name: Garden Glass Illuminated
Number of Ports: 3
Primary Material: Glass
Depth (Inches): 6
Width (Inches): 6
Height (Inches): 11.5
Manufacturer Color/Finish: Spring Rain
Color/Finish Family: Multiple colors/finishes
Warranty: None
's Exclusive: No
Nectar/Water Capacity (oz.): 16
Type: Hummingbird feeder
Mounting Type: Hanging
UNSPSC: 10121600
Built-In Ant Moat: No
Bee-Resistant: Yes
ETA: Tonight I watched a hummingbird fly right past the feeder and out of sight. Crazy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks. Yeah it’s pretty cool looking. See my edit above.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Saw our first fly by this am and the feeder went out in < an hour.
Had a couple skittish hit & runs on it that we saw..
Ruby Throated is all we've see here.
Tough little bastards when another bird comes to the feeder.
Had one light on the "bean" on my ball cap last year..
Of course "I" couldn't see it & the SO didn't have a camera...FML
That woulda been a cool shot.
@FredMan.. Awesome photos.. much jelly of your cam & skillz!!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Wife is going to hopefully dig out a big red bow and I’ll hang it on the hook above the feeder tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:21:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Baby Rufous hummingbirds life cycle. Chapter 1
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Y'all, we need to pay attention in the next few days--if you are anywhere near the transition zone where I'm located.

Been  80 degrees.  Hummers everywhere.  They're nesting for certain.  Mamas sitting on tiny little eggs.

And it's gonna be 33 f****ng degrees Saturday night, and again on Sunday night.

Food needs to be available for sure.  They will be sitting to keep the eggs from getting damaged.  

Food nearby will help. 

View Quote

Yup, not going to be quite as cold here but cold enough. We saw a male doing his mating dance yesterday so I know there are girls here building nests.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I think it has something to do with your feeder. Too crazy looking. We run these and they work pretty good and are easy to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Perky-Pet-8109-2-Hummingbird-Feeder-16-Ounce-Capacity/dp/B001UU01US/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=perky+pet+8109&qid=1589249744&sr=8-3
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe you should learn the words to the tune.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Bump for hummer report! 
View Quote

Welp, a few nights ago about 8:30 we were sitting on the balcony when one flew up to the feeder. Hovered there a millisecond LOL but my SO reached over and tapped the arm of my chair to alert me and the bird vanished, then came back for a quick fly by of the feeder before splitting. That’s been it so far. Today we attached a fake flower to the feeder. The red bow has been there since last week. We shall see what happens LOL.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Good call. I just changed the juice even though it was changed on Friday or Saturday.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Try cheap feeders from Amazon.  Myself and family members have tried some of the fancy ones with not much luck.  Birds seem to prefer the cheap plastic feeder.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Bump for hummer report! 
View Quote

3 out of 4 of our feeders are out and filled. The near freezing temps haven’t killed them all off. There was a ton of activity today, lots of dogfights. I think the cold has them really working hard for survival.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Hummer update , its been in the hi 90s here .
I go out at about 5 in the evening , the last few days they have been very busy .

Usually only one at a time , they will come and dance around in the air going from one ...flower...to another .
Then piff it's gone , then it comes back over and over .

There was two a coouple days ago but one chased off the other one .
Mine is in the shade , but it is hot .
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Question - at what level should I fill the feeder back up? The liquid is below the flowers to the point that I wonder if the birds can reach it. Can their tongues reach? And as I’m typing I just had one land on the feeder for about 5 seconds. Then fly off. We think it was feeding. Finally some activity
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Sound logic LOL. I just topped it off.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Sound logic LOL. I just topped it off.
View Quote

I change the juice once a week whether they are empty or not. During the hot months I change it every 3-4 days or it can spoil and grow mold/fungus. I also keep a spray bottle of bleach solution (maybe 10%) and bleach every feeder every time. We have 3, will probably put out our 4th soon as well. All are under our eaves and the birds love them. They drank all 3 almost dry in the last week.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

I change the juice once a week whether they are empty or not. During the hot months I change it every 3-4 days or it can spoil and grow mold/fungus. I also keep a spray bottle of bleach solution (maybe 10%) and bleach every feeder every time. We have 3, will probably put out our 4th soon as well. All are under our eaves and the birds love them. They drank all 3 almost dry in the last week.
View Quote

I’m definitely going to keep it changed at least once a week if not more. I’m learning from this thread.
I’m just now starting to see activity. First-time feeder.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top