Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 3/23/2020 3:41:17 PM EDT
Made an offer on 10.7 acres with 4 of it being a stocked pond.

HUD house and it needs some work.  Will need new windows and some minor work inside.
Grounds have been neglected for a year or so, but nothing a day or two on a bush hog wouldn't cure.

Has a gas furnace, on demand hot water heater and all gas kitchen. Needs a propane tank. Gas company took it when house went into foreclosure.

Made the offer three days ago, got a call this morning they accepted. Now for the reality of fixing it up, moving and making it a home.....

Is 10+ acres big enough to be considered a Homestead? If not, I will move the thread...

ETA:

Pics

Front
Attachment Attached File

Garage area
Attachment Attached File

Patio/Rear
Attachment Attached File

Patio
Attachment Attached File

Kitchen (Needs new counters. They have Blue tops and blue sinks?~?~?~?~?) I do love the stove.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Pond
Attachment Attached File

Dock
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Less than one acre can be enough

Congrats and good luck
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like nice place, minus the fixing up. I bought my place 5 years ago and it needed work, esp the property itself , lots of brush, briars, downed trees, over grown areas, etc. Just do a lil at a time.

And dont forget the PICS !!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like heaven.  How much was it out of curiosity?   (Round numbers-give or take)
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like nice place, minus the fixing up. I bought my place 5 years ago and it needed work, esp the property itself , lots of brush, briars, downed trees, over grown areas, etc. Just do a lil at a time.

And dont forget the PICS !!!
View Quote

Will post pics when we finalize everything.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like heaven.  How much was it out of curiosity?   (Round numbers-give or take)
View Quote

First time ever buying a HUD house. They asked $350K. Our Realtor told us that HUD opens the bid process for 10 days, whoever bids has to put the bid in in that time frame, whoever has the highest bid wins. We put in a Bid for $400K.  The estimated value is close to $950K as is.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds nice.

I’d bug bomb it before any work and way before moving in. I’d also set out lots of roach motels.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like the dream, Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a score, congrats

Are the countertops concrete?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
That looks like a nice place with tons of potential.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, they look like gray concrete, to me.  Maybe the blue cast just isn't coming through in the photos.

View Quote

Or Soapstone $$$$
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Really nice.  Enjoy it OP.  Hope you have good neighbors.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, they look like gray concrete, to me.  Maybe the blue cast just isn't coming through in the photos.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like a score, congrats

Are the countertops concrete?

They didn't appear to be, will check when I walk through again on Thursday.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Love the look of that pond.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks fucking awesome OP. Congrats.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Rough outline of the property. We do have neighbors, but it is much better than the .5 acre I am on now....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Shes a beaut
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Sold good job you will be away people.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks fabulous!

How is your access road?

Congrats!

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome!  Congrats!   Lol at your pond.  That thing is practically an ocean.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks nice OP.  A couple of years back I bought a house that had sat empty for four years.  It sounds like your's wasn't vacant for as long, but a few suggestions (some were already mentioned): have someone spray for bugs/spiders/creepy crawlers, buy a bulk pack of sticky traps and set them out everywhere, get some dehumidifiers and fans to get some air moving around.  

I worked on my place every evening after work for about three months straight before we moved in.  Walking into the stale smelling air every afternoon was a little soul crushing, but the more the air got moved around, the better it got.  The work was all worth it.  Anyhow, congrats on the new place.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks fabulous!

How is your access road?

Congrats!

View Quote

All paved, serpentine around a few trees. Will have approx 100 yards between house and the S turn.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks nice OP.  A couple of years back I bought a house that had sat empty for four years.  It sounds like your's wasn't vacant for as long, but a few suggestions (some were already mentioned): have someone spray for bugs/spiders/creepy crawlers, buy a bulk pack of sticky traps and set them out everywhere, get some dehumidifiers and fans to get some air moving around.  

I worked on my place every evening after work for about three months straight before we moved in.  Walking into the stale smelling air every afternoon was a little soul crushing, but the more the air got moved around, the better it got.  The work was all worth it.  Anyhow, congrats on the new place.
View Quote

Plan is to stay in our current house for about 3-4 months and clean the place up, get power back on, propane tank in, a few walls knocked down and get the interior to what we want.  Just checked prices for a Skidsteer with grapple bucket and a bush hog. $2600.00 for a week. I can get alot done on the property in a week with that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#27]
beautiful pond
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#29]
That is a bad ass property OP.

What amazing potential. I can think of few more worthwhile projects one could undertake.

Nice!
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sounds like the dream, Congrats!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn!   That's a beautiful house and property.  When you said HUD home I was expecting something VERY different.

Congratulations.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#33]
The place looks beautiful. 10ish acres is doable for homesteading. Especially with a fish crop from your pond.
We had 15ish acres, and Man it was a lot of work. Along with our full time jobs I had goats, up to 40. They kept us busy. Our accountant had us file as a cattle feed lot. Every cent we spent at TSC or Home Depot was a deduction. Be aware of that if you get animals.
My pond was 1/4 the size of yours. Im envious...

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#34]
That is a beautiful house op. We bought our place through a short sale and it took a couple years to get it where we wanted it but it's now worth more than double what we paid.
Have fun and take lots of pictures,  the kids love looking at the pictures from when we bought it to where it's at now. Congrats, that is really a nice looking place.
Dan
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#35]
That looks beautiful op. Congratulations!

I’d like to add a suggestion to the bug spray/trap ideas. This is from personal experience in the HUD/REO industry a number of years ago. Once you have power turned on in your name, consider renting or buying an ozone generator. Property remediation companies would be a good source to look up in your area. While the home is locked up and unoccupied, run it / them and then air out the house. Ozone attacks organic creepies like germs, bacteria, mold, mildew and viruses. It will go a long way towards a good deep cleaning / disinfecting.

A word of caution... exit the house after you turn it on. Ozone is harmful to people, pets, and plants (it attacks organic substances). Remove them before treatment. It will harm your lungs if you stand next to it while it is running (ask me how I know )

Walk away after turning it on. That’s why I suggest you do it early before you begin to occupy the house. That way you can break the house up into smaller areas to treat over a few days if you DIY.

I own a machine and have used it a couple of times this past winter to remove the stale smelling air from a closet or a bedroom. It works great for pet odor too.

Best of luck to you!
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Looks awesome OP, congrats!!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#37]
.double tap
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sweet!  NCHTF Camp and Shoot weekends at your place?

Seriously, very nice!  Roughly where in NC is this?
View Quote

Carteret County.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That looks beautiful op. Congratulations!

I’d like to add a suggestion to the bug spray/trap ideas. This is from personal experience in the HUD/REO industry a number of years ago. Once you have power turned on in your name, consider renting or buying an ozone generator. Property remediation companies would be a good source to look up in your area. While the home is locked up and unoccupied, run it / them and then air out the house. Ozone attacks organic creepies like germs, bacteria, mold, mildew and viruses. It will go a long way towards a good deep cleaning / disinfecting.

A word of caution... exit the house after you turn it on. Ozone is harmful to people, pets, and plants (it attacks organic substances). Remove them before treatment. It will harm your lungs if you stand next to it while it is running (ask me how I know )

Walk away after turning it on. That’s why I suggest you do it early before you begin to occupy the house. That way you can break the house up into smaller areas to treat over a few days if you DIY.

I own a machine and have used it a couple of times this past winter to remove the stale smelling air from a closet or a bedroom. It works great for pet odor too.

Best of luck to you!
View Quote

Cool tip, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nice.  I used to live in Morehead City and was a lifeguard/bartender at the Dunes Club in Atlantic Beach. That was almost 30 years ago though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sweet!  NCHTF Camp and Shoot weekends at your place?

Seriously, very nice!  Roughly where in NC is this?

Carteret County.

Nice.  I used to live in Morehead City and was a lifeguard/bartender at the Dunes Club in Atlantic Beach. That was almost 30 years ago though.

James is still bartending. Best bartender I ever knew.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He's still alive?  Dude was 70 when I was there. LOL

He made a mean Bloody Mary and would sell his mix on the side for extra cash.
View Quote

He retired 2 years ago, the club was damaged during the storm, was rebuilt and they named the bar after him, he came back. He was bored and missed the people. Now he comes in on Wed Bingo and whenever he wants... James flex schedule. That man is awesome. Our kids love him, he bribes them with homemade boiled peanuts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I had a great time working there.  My uncle was exec chef there for many years.  Went back for a visit last fall with my wife.  Morehead city has changed quite a bit.  Beufort and Emerald Isle are pretty much the same.
View Quote

Been here 25 years now. Married a local and don't want to leave. So much better than Southern California...

If your Uncle was the Exc Chef and you worked there, you probably know my inlaws. The owned Capt. Bills.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Congratulations. That place has lots of potential.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Congratulations  nice place. Concrete counter tops are great. Easy to maintain and tough  best remodeling decision I’ve ever made.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The one in Morehead on the waterfront?
View Quote

Yes Sir.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top