Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2019 10:21:46 PM EDT
I’ve gotten into these little bastards many many times. Last year I had over 2 dozen stings at once. Hurt for 20-30 min no big deal.   Today while on the tractor I provoked a nest. I got off the tractor pretty fast a back peddled.
Suddenly it was like I got punched in the ear.  One sting 10 times worse than what the two dozen felt like.
It’s been about 5 hours and it still hurts. Anyone get hit in the cartilage have pain like this?

I’m not even joking this one hurt worst than a cow killer ant.

Anyway I just felt like ranting because it feels like a awl got shoved through the top of my ear.

Yellowjackets got a couple cups of diesel and are no more
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I sprayed a bunch of those bastards today that built a nest in our range table and kept buzzing our guns.  Fortunately none stung me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#2]
We have a particular downspout the wasps/yellowjackets tend to take a liking to, have since we moved in a few years ago.  This year I got tired of it and bought that insecticide concentrate stuff that is microencapsulated.  Sprayed it 3 months ago...haven't seen one since.  Best $40 I've spent on this house.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 1:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a hollow core door on my chicken coop.  I never put in a knob or deadbolt leaving the yellow jackets wonderful places to nest.  After getting nailed, spray foam killer, brake cleaner, followed up with expanding foam in all the openings got rid of that problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I never narrowed it down to location but I was stung one time and it was no big deal. A few months later... DAMN. New sting felt like someone drove a red hot poker through my arm with a sledge hammer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 1:40:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen one flying around the backyard the last couple of weeks, early morning, circling plants, but it never bothers me. I do want to try a wasp trap because I have no use for the bastards. Bees, yes, wasps/hornets, no.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been hit by many wasps that hurt just a little, like a little more than giving blood.
Once I got hit on the side of my head by one and it felt like I got hit by a baseball bat.  It literally knocked me down.
I think it has much to do by how close to a nerve they hit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been hit by many wasps that hurt just a little, like a little more than giving blood.
Once I got hit on the side of my head by one and it felt like I got hit by a baseball bat.  It literally knocked me down.
View Quote
That is exactly what happened
I’ve been stung so many time but nothing even close to what happened yesterday
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:16:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Their success in injecting venom probably varies from sting to sting, too.

Thickness of clothing, reaction time, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:26:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’ve gotten into these little bastards many many times. Last year I had over 2 dozen stings at once. Hurt for 20-30 min no big deal.   Today while on the tractor I provoked a nest. I got off the tractor pretty fast a back peddled.
Suddenly it was like I got punched in the ear.  One sting 10 times worse than what the two dozen felt like.
It’s been about 5 hours and it still hurts. Anyone get hit in the cartilage have pain like this?

I’m not even joking this one hurt worst than a cow killer ant.

Anyway I just felt like ranting because it feels like a awl got shoved through the top of my ear.

Yellowjackets got a couple cups of diesel and are no more
View Quote
Try adding some oil for a longer burn.

Asphyxiate the ones that don't burn if it's a deep hole.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup I ran into a nest during a tree removal.

Basically just had to take it while struggling to remove my safety line and burn out of the tree.

I jumped in the nearby river to get them off me.

I was hit over 50 times. Worst ones by far were the face shots. Ears, nose, lip were 100/10 on the pain level. They burned for two days.

Turns out they had packed the hollow trunk section, the nest was the size of a basketball.

Went through 15 gallons of spray from a hydraulic sprayer (nest was 20ft up)

Never so happy to watch those bastards die
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I have found my greatest success fighting Yellow Jackets is with early trapping in the spring. I purchased numerous traps and set them out in various places around my property and bait them with attractant and sugar/soap solution, I have heard raw meat works well too but never tried it. We suspend a cottonball soaked with the attractant and hang it inside the trap allowing the lure to be more effective.

In the spring the Queens are the first Yellow Jackets you see, they are looking for food and a place to make a nest. Eliminate the queen and you just eliminated 1000's of pesky workers. The queens are larger and easily identifiable once in the trap.

We set our traps along the wood line of the property. There is nothing behind us for a mile but a creek, woods and a 100 ac. soy field. The first years we started setting the traps we set them out in late Feb. because for us the temps can start to rise into the 70's during the daytime. It is amazing how many queens we trap. By May we stop seeing many trapped queens and the actions dwindles and then workers are showing up, but not many. We keep the traps up through the summer to hopefully trap any remaining workers.

The best part is how much of a reduction in the yellow jacket population the trapping of the queens makes. It used to be a constant reminder about how heavy of an infestation of yellow jackets we had. Then it was not even a thought. We rarely saw any and forgot of the past issues we had. I have to be vigilant about removing the traps in the winter and rebaiting in the spring because we simply do not have the reminders, aka stings, buzzing, robbing hummingbird feeders, ect. If you have issues, then try the traps they really work.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#16]
The house I bought years ago had been sitting idle for a long time. Had fricking nests EVERYWHERE! Once I cleared all the old fencing and bull crap the previous owner had left lying around I still had a bunch of those little jerks flying around. For the nests under my deck I spread diatomaceous earth and swept it between the deck boards. Along the fence I hang these traps and bait them with turkey ham from Walmart. Just this week I found a few nesting in my grill. Scraped the small nest into a bucket of charcoal ash and hit it with a bunch of starter fluid and burned the crap out of it. They haven’t returned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top