Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2018 5:45:00 PM EDT
We bought about 160 acres last year and are getting ready to start working it. Will be mowing, filling and planting food plots on about 70 acres, the rest will stay Bermuda and will be used to support some livestock. Tractor would be used for other farm duties, clearing, post hole digging for tree planting, ditch digging for irrigation, etc. We're looking for a solid, reliable tractor that can do more than we need it to without going overkill on size. Basically, if 35 horse would handle the work we'll likely get 40-45 horse.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]
With livestock I assume you will be handling round bales?  I would say a 5 series Deere or equivalent for the loader capacity. That puts you at 50-100 horse.  Exact HP will depend on what you're going to pull or run off the PTO.  70 ish HP would be a good middle ground in that frame size.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The biggest one you can afford-then get one bigger than that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The biggest one you can afford-then get one bigger than that.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I cant imagine trying to manage 100 acres with my 35 HP Kubota, I would want double that and maybe a little more.

If your handling round bales you will need the weight, lifting power.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I would want a minimum of 70hp.  If you can find an 85-90hp tractor you would still be good to go.  No one ever says I wish I would of bought a smaller tractor.  You can buy a smaller tractor in the future if you want.  Buy once cry once.  Also buy a name brand machine John Deere, Kubota, Case, Massey Ferguson.  Don’t buy something that’s an oddball that you can’t find parts for if it breaks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
110-120hp minimum for tilage and planting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Two is one and one is none.  You are going to try and work more ground than one tractor can comfortably do in a timely manner. If you insist on one I would suggest something bigger than you think and front wheel assist. You will thank me later.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
60 to 70 HP but if you are going to row crop it needs to be 4WD.  I have a Pecan orchard and run a small round baler so I have no need for the 4WD and use a M6040 Kubota.  62hp.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
60hp, no lower.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Two is one and one is none.  You are going to try and work more ground than one tractor can comfortably do in a timely manner. If you insist on one I would suggest something bigger than you think and front wheel assist. You will thank me later.
View Quote
Front wheel assist?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seriously?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
JD 4066
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Seriously?
View Quote
My Dad owns 130 acres, 100 tillable. My grandfather farmed it with horses, my Dad did it with a 40hp gas tractor then later bought a 70hp diesel tractor with a loader. Front wheel assist would be nice if you use it for plowing snow or mowing uneven ditches, or loader activities but you don't have to have it.

I think the new diesels have the same EPA crap diesel trucks have. Might was to check on that and consider an older used tractor.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Mowing, oddly enough, is going to drive your decision. I have a Kubota L6060 (60 HP) and it's nice for mowing with a Landprice RC2512 (12 feet wide, winged cutter) if the speed is slow enough and the grass not overly tall or cut too low. Do get anything done fast I move to a 20 feet wide brushhog and 145 HP tractor. The little tractor is fine for grass, but light for anything but minimal brush. For 100 acres you could get by, but what you really want is about 100-120HP minimum for mowing. A compact track loader is way better than a tractor for all sorts of utility work. So, ideally you have a mowing rig with a 100+ HP tractor and brushhog, a track loader / skid steer for utility work, and a compact tractor for garden work. But, for one tool for all jobs, I would probably stick with something in the 60HP range and just mow a little slower, etc.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think the new diesels have the same EPA crap diesel trucks have. Might was to check on that and consider an older used tractor.
View Quote
They do and you should.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]
early 70's FORD 5000 can be had for less money then the equivalent green tractors

the 8 speed model is pretty bomb proof, but no powershift or syncros

look for the diesel model

simple power, no emissions, easy to work on...  prob already beat up some so you wont be worried that it's "new"

look for one that has 2 remotes

should find something decent looking for around 5k

check FB marketplace for a deal in your area
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My Dad owns 130 acres, 100 tillable. My grandfather farmed it with horses, my Dad did it with a 40hp gas tractor then later bought a 70hp diesel tractor with a loader. Front wheel assist would be nice if you use it for plowing snow or mowing uneven ditches, or loader activities but you don't have to have it.

View Quote
We'll be tilling and planting on about 40-50 acres and filling in the rest with fruit and nut orchards.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mowing, oddly enough, is going to drive your decision. I have a Kubota L6060 (60 HP) and it's nice for mowing with a Landprice RC2512 (12 feet wide, winged cutter) if the speed is slow enough and the grass not overly tall or cut too low. Do get anything done fast I move to a 20 feet wide brushhog and 145 HP tractor. The little tractor is fine for grass, but light for anything but minimal brush. For 100 acres you could get by, but what you really want is about 100-120HP minimum for mowing. A compact track loader is way better than a tractor for all sorts of utility work. So, ideally you have a mowing rig with a 100+ HP tractor and brushhog, a track loader / skid steer for utility work, and a compact tractor for garden work. But, for one tool for all jobs, I would probably stick with something in the 60HP range and just mow a little slower, etc.
View Quote
With livestock we won't be mowing much...
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They do and you should.
View Quote
How old?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
early 70's FORD 5000 can be had for less money then the equivalent green tractors

the 8 speed model is pretty bomb proof, but no powershift or syncros

look for the diesel model

simple power, no emissions, easy to work on...  prob already beat up some so you wont be worried that it's "new"

look for one that has 2 remotes

should find something decent looking for around 5k

check FB marketplace for a deal in your area
View Quote
Two remotes?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Front wheel assist tractors have the option of being 2x4 or 4x4 with a flip of a switch. If you're going to have a loader on the tractor or get into any wet spots they a godsend.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Front wheel assist tractors have the option of being 2x4 or 4x4 with a flip of a switch. If you're going to have a loader on the tractor or get into any wet spots they a godsend.
View Quote
It's right on the washita river so heavy rains, real heavy can get wet sometimes. :)
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#23]
60hp minimum with front wheel assist.

Not sure of your location but if your in any area where it’s not a desert front wheel assist (4x4) will make your life so much easier. All of our tractors but one has front wheel assist. The one that doesn’t have it seldom gets used.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I have 46 acres and a 94 hp (85 pto) JD 6405.  I had to borrow my buddy's 4450 to pull his 14' Krause disc for a light discing of a coastal field after I spread oats.  It seems like around 90 hp is the minimum for larger round balers.  If you're on a budget a JD4020 is just about the most popular tractor there ever was.  Consider what implements you will be using and then look up the hp required to pull them.  If you're just going to do auger work, shredding once per year, and loader work a ~60 hp would be fine.

This tractor is a little more than I need, but I'm hoping to buy/lease neighboring land one day and I value my time too much to spend days on end in a tractor.

I also bought a little Kubota BX2350 to mow and spray the fence lines.

If I were you I would look for a 110 hp.  I don't know if it is psychological that 110 hp is just a little more than what I have, or if 110 hp would really handle everything I want to do.  If money is less of a consideration, try a JD 7210.  It has a very low powered 6.8L.  Should run forever.

A tractor thread!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seriously?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously?

Dead ass seriously.

5 shank chisle plow.  16ft disk.  11ft mower.  The above pictured baler.  Even a 10ft brush hog all require alot of HP.

If you got days and days to fuck around, sure go smaller. And it will take you 10 days to plow 90 acres. I'm not even a big farmer. We had 200ish at acres at peak.

My "main" use equipment:

Deere 6410 - 105hp - use: hay mower, baler, disk and chisel plow
Deere 5425 - 82hp - feeding bales out. 10ft heavy duty bush hog
New Holland TN60 - 54hp - hay rake, hay Tedder, light brush hog. But really, my dad won't let me get rid of it.
Deere 317 skidloader with tracks - cleaning barn, gravel work, etc.

All 3 tractors have loaders on them. Mostly because they all came with them. Not that we need them. It's handy when needed.

All the tractors are 4wd.  We have a little 2wd massy that basically never gets used.  Spins out in wet grass. My dad... Dislikes getting rid of things.

Edit

Cab vs no cab

You probably* don't want to use a discbine in an open station tractor.  Unless you intend to wear a football helmet.

On the flip side, you typically don't want to take a cab tractor into the woods, around trees, etc. Because windows are expensive.

Also my 6410 doesn't fit through my cattle barn height wise. So I can't use it to feed cows out.  (Another fantastic planning job by my father, lol...)

*Probably meaning I have broken rear windows with discbines. It sucks. I can only imagine if it was the back of my head.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#26]
two sets of hydraulic outlets in the back

so you control 2 functions..

like fold mower wings up
and
lower mower to mow

or

on a wheel hay rake

make rake skinnier or wider
and
lower wheels to ground
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
some of the other larger tractors suggested are great choices!

depends on OP's budget..  if you got 50k or more to spend ..why not

we have everything from ford 3000 and ford 5000 up to Deere 7920 and 8325 and some in between
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#28]
You guys are a goldmine. I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't have two tractors for different tasks. Giving the type of farm we want and the uniqueness of the property it might make sense. I don't suppose any of you are Okies?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148484/20180602_145413-563596.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148484/farming3-560955.jpg

Dead ass seriously.

5 shank chisle plow.  16ft disk.  11ft mower.  The above pictured baler.  Even a 10ft brush hog all require alot of HP.

If you got days and days to fuck around, sure go smaller. And it will take you 10 days to plow 90 acres. I'm not even a big farmer. We had 200ish at acres at peak.

My "main" use equipment:

New Holland TN60 - 54hp - hay rake, hay Tedder, light brush hog. But really, my dad won't let me get rid of it.

All 3 tractors have loaders on them. Mostly because they all came with them. Not that we need them. It's handy when needed.

All the tractors are 4wd.  We have a little 2wd massy that basically never gets used.  Spins out in wet grass. My dad... Dislikes getting rid of things.

Edit

Cab vs no cab

You probably* don't want to use a discbine in an open station tractor.  Unless you intend to wear a football helmet.

On the flip side, you typically don't want to take a cab tractor into the woods, around trees, etc. Because windows are expensive.

Also my 6410 doesn't fit through my cattle barn height wise. So I can't use it to feed cows out.  (Another fantastic planning job by my father, lol...)

*Probably meaning I have broken rear windows with discbines. It sucks. I can only imagine if it was the back of my head.
View Quote
Technically, we do have days to fuck around, as in, this isn't going to be a money making venture. If we do, fine, but that's not what we're looking for.
I get what you're saying though. Never been a big fan of wasting time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
two sets of hydraulic outlets in the back

so you control 2 functions..

like fold mower wings up
and
lower mower to mow

or

on a wheel hay rake

make rake skinnier or wider
and
lower wheels to ground
View Quote
Got ya.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Technically, we do have days to fuck around, as in, this isn't going to be a money making venture. If we do, fine, but that's not what we're looking for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148484/20180602_145413-563596.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148484/farming3-560955.jpg

Dead ass seriously.

My "main" use equipment:

Edit

Cab vs no cab

Our big problem is weather.. in Ohio it rains alot and often. So we will only get 3-4 days in a row with no rain, are most.  Thus especially cutting hay is a hurry issue...same with plowing fields in the spring.  When you need to it,  gotta do it now and fast.

The 6410 is a 2002ish tractor. They're fairly affordable, it had 2600 ish hours on it when I bought it.   Brand new loader on it and it was 50k.  You can probably get one without a loader for less, or another brand for less.

It's smaller brother the 5425 was significantly less because it's an open cab. And it only had 700 hours on it.

If I had to pick one tractor, it would be the 5425. At 82-85hp you could still pull a 9ft haybine (note not discbine), pull a 4x5 or 5x5 baler.  Probably a small 5 shank chisle plow and a 10ft disk. But that would be all on the upper end of what the tractor wants.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I like you have a hobby farm.  I am an engineer and live on 40 acres (aunt and uncle own the 67 acres next to me). I take care of it on the weekends since I don't have a lot of daylight time during the week.  My land is sandy loam and stays moist all winter.  About a third of my land is in a creek bottom.

I bought a used 1993 Massey Ferguson 362 (62hp) with a heavy duty loader and a 6' mower.  With water in the rear tires it can easily carry a full bucket of moist dirt.  The only thing I wish I would have done different is gotten 4wd.

I would describe it as adequate, It is small enough to use around the trees but big enough to get work done without wasting too much time.

If I were to do it again I would get a similar size tractor, maybe bump up to the 70-75hp range and 4wd, and get an 8ft or 10ft drag mower.

eta... if you get a loader, it is best to have one that you can take off easily because it is a lot easier to mow with it off.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's right on the washita river so heavy rains, real heavy can get wet sometimes. :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would start going to the Idabel auction and watching what equipment is going for. I’m assuming you’re in Oklahoma. I'd look for a low hour 5520 75hp equivalent tractor and maybe a small 35 hp subcompact tractor to get under trees and do the smaller jobs.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I run a cow calf operation on a little over 150 acres.  I have owned a 65, 75 and 85 (my first) hp tractor.  I now have 115hp 4x4 and pull 12' disc, 15' mower.  It's almost too big but I would never trade down.  What you need is a minimum 55 hp tractor with 4 wheel drive and a loader to start with.  I said minimum and I would consider starting with a 65hp tractor.  You buy something small you will work it to death, spend too much time doing it and probably discourage yourself in doing it.  Stay away from the off brands, find your nearest JD or Kubota dealer and talk it over with them, tell them what you want to do and listen to their recommendations.  Do not buy a tractor without 4 wheel drive!  It's like have extra horsepower and you won't tear up your property trying to get around.  It will handle more front end weight as well.  A cab is your call.  I would not have one without it.  Bail hay a couple of years without a cab, you'll see...
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#35]
On a serious note, can I get a massive flame thrower attachment on these?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
On a serious note, can I get a massive flame thrower attachment on these?
View Quote
Third point OK?

Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
That's a start!
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I use my 5085M for hay duties only.  My Kubota L4600 gets used for 99% of everything else.  If I didn't do hay, I wouldn't have the JD.  I might, however, trade up slightly into a 55-60ish HP tractor if I could only have one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I have 25hp for a 6 acre plot and if I had 100 or so acres I would definitely look in the 75-100 hp range.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I use my 5085M for hay duties only.  My Kubota L4600 gets used for 99% of everything else.  If I didn't do hay, I wouldn't have the JD.  I might, however, trade up slightly into a 55-60ish HP tractor if I could only have one.
View Quote
@big97redtj

I'm buying a grain drill over the winter. Just trying to find a decent one, if you ever wanted to reset your fields.  Also my corn planter is open for next year to make your life easier..
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We bought about 160 acres last year and are getting ready to start working it. Will be mowing, filling and planting food plots on about 70 acres, the rest will stay Bermuda and will be used to support some livestock. Tractor would be used for other farm duties, clearing, post hole digging for tree planting, ditch digging for irrigation, etc. We're looking for a solid, reliable tractor that can do more than we need it to without going overkill on size. Basically, if 35 horse would handle the work we'll likely get 40-45 horse.
View Quote

Bigger. Unless you want to spend all your time on a tractor. Get one to pull at least a 6 ft mower and nine foot harrow. I have a 70 hp and want bigger.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Also a lot more to go wrong.

Feeding livestock depending on how soft the lots get FWA might be nice.  Remember it will get you into a lot more trouble than a 2wd will though.

Watch twine/netwrap, it is murder on axle seals front and rear.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm a Massey Ferguson man, I've had 5, each one progressively bigger.
I now have a 4 wheel drive 283, with a front end loader.
It has been the perfect tractor on my 110 acres.
I can mow with a 10 foot cutter, push brush, haul dirt, burn piles, whatever.
It has been in deep mud, but is the only motorized vehicle I have ever owned that I've never stuck.

Having said that, if it was a choice between 4 wheel drive or more horsepower, I'd take the 4 wheel drive every time. It is invaluable with a heavy load in the bucket.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Seriously look at a used John Deere 7410, don’t be scared of the hours, they’ll go to 13-15k hours before a need for engine rebuild.

Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#45]
After reading thru all the great advice offered, we've decided to get a medium size (30-35 hp) tractor first. That will do a lot of what we want and some things that a large tractor cannot.  By next spring we should be more educated on how big to go based on what the initial tractor does for us. We're gonna get two anyway, so this seems like the smartest way to approach it.

Any comments or thoughts on LS tractors? We have a local dealer and from what I've read so far they seem gtg.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
After reading thru all the great advice offered, we've decided to get a medium size (30-35 hp) tractor first. That will do a lot of what we want and some things that a large tractor cannot.  By next spring we should be more educated on how big to go based on what the initial tractor does for us. We're gonna get two anyway, so this seems like the smartest way to approach it.

Any comments or thoughts on LS tractors? We have a local dealer and from what I've read so far they seem gtg.
View Quote
JD 3 series can be had new for 20k w a loader/shredder package. Mid teens lightly used. 3038 would be a great choice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Currently looking at a JD 5065.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought a B3200 Kubota...

has been the cat's meow.

I have 170 acres and plan on a 70-xx in the future as well.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:Any comments or thoughts on LS tractors? We have a local dealer and from what I've read so far they seem gtg.
View Quote
They tried selling Montana tractors a few years ago.  Dealers were everywhere... until they weren't.  Parts supply was however long the boat ride from India was.  We rebuilt the trans in one during that time (8ish years ago), closest dealer to us was in Oklahoma and parts were a month out.  FWIW it was a cheesy made POS transmission (not a hydrostat)  Shop manual was very poorly translated to the point of almost being useless, I think they straight up did it with a computer translator and never had anybody that actually spoke English look at it..

Now they are coming back with their own name painted blue.  If doesn't stick this time you will be back to waiting for boats.

Personally I would pass.

Deere, Kubota, CNH and even Massey have much better/reliable dealer networks, free online parts lookup and just overall better support IMO.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I have 40 acres and a New Holland TC55 DA. 55hp diesel, 4 wheel drive with front end loader. It  meets my needs, but it’s right at the edge.

Anything smaller and I would work it to death, anything bigger and I would loose some much needed ability to work in small spaces(narrow gates and yard work around the house). It handles two large round bails just fine and works well with a 10foot mower.

If I ever need to replace it I would look for a similar size with a cab and AC!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top