Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 5:03:40 PM EDT
I hate to say it, but my wife and kids don't like any of the pickle recipes that I've tried over the years.  They like Vlasic kosher dills, and that's pretty much it.

Anyone know how to make a home made pickle that tastes like a Vlasic Kosher Dill pickle?  I've got a bunch of cukes coming in, and they don't want me to make them like I did last year!

Thanks!
Kevin
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife used to make really good dill type pickles using small pickles. She had best results with pickles 3" or shorter. Its been a few years but I remember her recipe was very simple and easy to do. I'll hit her up and see if she still has the recipe.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Reigning Arfcom favorite:

Quoted:

Y'all owe me

Best damn dill pickles ever

Brine: 1 Quart apple cider vinegar (not apple cider flavored)
3 Quarts water
1 Cup pickling salt
Boil 5 minutes - Keep hot

Wash and cut off both ends of pickles.
Cut large ones in half lengthwise.

Drop
1 clove garlic
1 piece dill
1 little red pepper
Into bottom of sterilized jar and pack pickles into jar upright. Place in hot water to heat jars (very hot!) Fill with hot brine. Heat lids and seal. Turn the jars upside down for a little while so that the lids stay hot. Turn right side up and make sure they seal.

Wait 3 weeks

Eat.

KILLER
View Quote

ETA:  Found the link to the original post.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, people tend to pre-judge some things based upon preconceptions.

Try the Bozeman recipe and put the pickles in a Vlasic jar.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's my wife's recipe. Simple enough even I could do it....if I tried.

For this you'll need 8 lb of small pickles; 2" are ideal but no bigger than 3". Also need a BIG pot.

1 qt hot water
1 cup pickling salt ---- dissolve in the hot water and bring to a boil
Add 2 qts cold water
Add 1 qt vinegar (should be cool)

Put pickles in Mason jars (quart size) then add fresh dill and one fresh garlic clove (garlic is optional, wife LOVES it)

Pour your water solution (brine) into the jars so the brine covers the pickles. Then seal the lids.

Set the jars in the oven at 225 F for 1 hour. We set the jars on cake/bar pans to: 1) protect glass from heat; 2) contain spills if a jar cracks.

After the 1 hour is up, remove from oven and let cool at room temp.

Once cooled they will be ready to eat. This recipe makes 8 qts.

When I was a kid we raised pickles for the Gedney company (in addition to our mountain of farm work). After a few years of back breaking hoeing, spraying, picking carrying bushel basket I started to hate the sight of pickles!!

But I have to admit I like my wife's and not saying that because I have to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top