Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2012 4:02:07 PM EDT
I saw some on Craigslist. Are they mean?
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if serious.

Yes, the males can be.

They prefer warmer weather.

They are loud as fuck.

Why do you want one?
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
No, but any nearby neighbors will be dangerous animals once you have some peacocks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like it would be a neat "pet".  

We are going to buy my wife's grandpa's place.  It's about 4 acres and I've been looking through Craiglist for goats, chickens and other things I might need and saw the Peacocks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Loud as hell, they sound like children being tortured from a distance, males can get mean, they will chase hell out of coyotes and run them off.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
lol

Maybe they're not the bird for me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if they'd make good chicken guards against 'possums and such...
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My neighbor used to have them.  I thought they sounded neat.  like the backgroud noise from an old jungle film.  If your not used to them they will scare the crap out of you when they cut loose with a scream.  I never had a problem with them though, mean or otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in Cincinnati and they are all over my neighborhood.  Feel free to come snatch some up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
We've got a pair.  I enjoy watching the male do his antics and they are fun to watch.  They are loud, but not really any louder than our guineas.  They can scratch your cars up if you don't have a garage.  They also like to look at their reflection in the window and glass doors, which is fun to watch but they will crap there too.  All in all though I enjoy them and would probably get another pair if something happened to these.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#10]
We owned several.
As stated, they're loud as can be.  Great watchdogs.
Very fast runners and tend to wander.  We always had a problem keeping them around.
They were kept at 8000+ in elevation with snow and ice.  Their feet got cold but so did the Turkey's.

After raising Geese and Turkey's, I'd say no, they're not mean.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top