Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:58:13 PM EDT
I've got some venison that I need to make into jerky. Does anybody have a good jerky recipe that they'd like to share? I'm wanting to make some "plain", terryaki (sp?), and some hot. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
50/50 brown sugar/salt, add some garlic powder. Season all over. Let sit in a ziplock overnight.

For hot, add cayenne.

For teriyaki, add pineapple marmalade, and ground ginger.

Don't over dry.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if this helps because I try all kinds of things when I make mine.  But in general I would agree with James above for getting the spices right. I did make a dinner thread on here about this a couple years ago and linked it below.  I wing it everytime, but it always gets consumed so fast it makes your head spin and I never write down the exact ingredients I used.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=841527
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't know if this helps because I try all kinds of things when I make mine.  But in general I would agree with James above for getting the spices right. I did make a dinner thread on here about this a couple years ago and linked it below.  I wing it everytime, but it always gets consumed so fast it makes your head spin and I never write down the exact ingredients I used.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=841527

I try to keep my 'ingredients' to four or less for jerky.

Black pepper, teriyaki/soy sauce, BBQ spice blend, garlic powder.

I add red pepper flake when I want it spicier and/or vary the other four ingredients to get a variety of flavors.

Simpler is best.  I have some jerky recipes that have 15-20 ingredients, and while tasty, are not worth the trouble compared to a simpler approach.

TRG

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I am lazy, but get a bottle of dales steak seasoning at walmart.....slice meat thin, marinated overnight, I like to start my dehydrator at 8 am and pull the meat right at 5.  Got called out on my last batch and didn't pull it till 9pm......wasn't hardly worth eating.

Oh yeah, I add black pepper to mine while loading the dehydrator and the meat is wet and the pepper will stick.  Nothing like fresh ground black pepper venison jerky!!

Doc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top