Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2011 5:04:43 PM EDT
Okay, so out in the garden today and noticed thousands of these striped beetles all over every plant we have.  Cucumber beetles!  Yuck.  So, what is the best way to get rid of these pests?  The chickens are so fat from eating bugs, they aren't much help at this point.  Prefer not to use chemicals but will if need be.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You could use garlic spray or Mosquito Barrier.  I have never used this stuff but you could try some Diatomaceous Earth.  I would probably go with Dipel Dust myself.  If those don't work and you want to go the chemical route let me know.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Dipel won't effect them, it is a worm thing. Soapy water might work on the exposed beetles you spray. DE, as already mentioned might help but needs to be dry to work.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a spray with pyrethrines in it.  seems to work very well.  Will also kill stink bugs and squash bugs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Here toy go:

Been there...still doing that

1)Clove oil/dental disclosing tablets mix- Concoction Info Clove Oil from Amazon and disclosing tablets from POH
2)Kaolin Clay aka Surround WP - Kaolin Clay Info purchased from Johnny's Seeds
3)Hand Vacuum - I make a pass thru the garden every morning before the flowers close to suck the bugs up.  The vac is powerful enough to get the bugs but doesn't disrupt the pollen too bad.  Small learning curve but I swear by it now.  Just don't suck up the good bugs! Cordless Dirt Devil

Items 1 and 2 will be new to me this year so we'll see how they work.  Item 3 was a great success last year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Try a misting bottle with alcohol...........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top