Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2009 3:44:36 AM EDT
I can't believe the heavenly taste of wild persimmon.  It is sweeter than honey.  It is sweeter than the sweetest sugar I have ever tasted.  Anyone know what these register on a brix scale?  Dear Goodness Gracious I cannot BELIEVE the sweetness.  I thought about freezing them and coating them in chocolate, but the chocolate would pale in comparison.  And every time one falls off the tree chickens and turkeys come a runnin!!!!!

Anyone else got persimmons?
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 3:53:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine was just as sweet. So sweet, that I had dinner guest every night till they were gone. (Deer)
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone else got persimmons?

I've got a couple of trees that drop them every year.  One year a squirrel or rat packed the top of my truck's engine FULL of persimmons overnight, from the heads up to the breather.  Hundreds of persimmons.

I like the taste of persimmons in cookies, etc. and it doesn't take a lot, usually about a cup of pulp added to a recipe.

Does anyone have hints on how to gather the pulp?  It seems such a pain to get all of the seeds out...
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]
best fruit, ever. bar none. I want 3 persimmon trees for my future BOL and nothing else I'll survive on the bark and leaves in summer!
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
best fruit, ever. bar none. I want 3 persimmon trees for my future BOL and nothing else I'll survive on the bark and leaves in summer!

For anyone who has access, this month's Missouri Conservationist has an article on them.  Very interesting.  

I sadly don't have access, enlighten us?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For anyone who has access, this month's Missouri Conservationist has an article on them.  Very interesting.  

Quoted:
I sadly don't have access, enlighten us?

Try this Link

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome article.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to do a survey every year where there was a patch of trees, and EVERY year, I'd pick a new summer kid to "introduce" to the joys of unripe persimmons.

Heck, I was ruthless. If I had too, I'd pick one and pop it in my mouth, just to reassure them that they were GOOD!

And of course, whoever got tricked would talk some other new kid into it the following week.
But none of them would go as far as chewing one up, just to get a newbie to do it.

I'd always heard it took a hard frost, but they are dropping like crazy, and we haven't been that cold yet.
Might try to grab some and make jam/jelly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes––sorry to not get back to you.  

no biggie

They just ripen by waiting, nothing to do with frost, select some reasonably hard (unripe) persimmons next time you're buying them. Put them on a windowsill or a countertop away from direct sun light or moisture. Those horribly bitter things will ripen and will be as delicious as buying them ripe.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#14]
great info, thanks for the link!!  Maybe frost has nothing to do with it, but cold weather makes  apples sweeter, so perhaps cold helps persimmons too?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Good info, thanks for the link Skunkum.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
OH I LOVE persimmons.  Haven't had any in years.  Not since we moved here.  No trees around that I know of.

FordGuy I bet if you got a really high-quality extra-dark chocolate you would not be disapponted.  The bitter juxtaposed with the sweet and that intense persimmon flavor should work great!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Time to tell my persimmon seed story, I guess . . .
.....snip...

Beekeeper, that's a great story.

For anybody wanting to propogate with no coon required, you should be able to duplicate the animal digestive tract with mild acid scarification.

My manual says you can stratify the seeds in peat for 60-90 days at 41 degrees (I suspect anywhere in the fridge compartment would do as long as it wasn't right beside the light, where it might be warmer).
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I wish y'all were here to help clean up our driveway. Our tree drops TONS of those things. As others have said, they taste great. We usually have hundreds of little saplings come spring time, have to mow them down.

If anyone wants a few seeds, let me know. The fruit, at least here in TX, doesn't require a frost to be sweet.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I have two large trees on my place-they are just now getting soft enough to eat. These are the small American type, and we have been trying to find a hardy large Korean type. Every catalog I get says the asian types of persimmons are not hardy enough for Michigan weather-but I know they are growing in South Korea up by the NK border. No one here seems to have that type though. I've got several small trees of the asian type growing right now,and they have survived several winters here-we will see if they can make it. We want the large asian kind that we can dry,and also don't need to soften up to be sweet. here is one of my trees,from another thread here:

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Had one in back yard that was about 50 feet tall, and was always full of fruit.

Wife made me cut it down, was fed up with the flies, and bees when it started dropping fruit. You couldn't get within 20 feet of the tree without stepping on fruit, and then getting swarmed by flies and bees.

The deer sure miss it. almost like hunting over bait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top