Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2008 10:53:40 PM EDT
Well mom and dad put up about 70 kings done into strips and slabs. About another week to 1.5 of smoking and they will be done. The slabs will fill about 3  five gallon buckets. They just get tastier as they age. Makes a good survival foog that stores easy. We store them at fishcamp in the ground. Wish you all could taste some real alaska dried salmon.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 1:34:45 AM EDT
[#1]
send some down to us less fortunate salmon fishing is has been bad in my neck of the woods
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 2:12:16 AM EDT
[#2]
yum yum..... i'd settle for leftovers......
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#3]
yum yum..... i'd settle for leftovers......
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:35:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#5]
After they are cut into slabs and strips they are soaked in a brine for up to 5 minutes. Then they are dried under cover outside till they get a good hard crust on the outside for up to 5 days then they go into the smokehouse.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Man...this post got my mouth watering....

And...you know what you could get down in the lower 48 for 70 King's right now...

The price of fish is INSANE...and that is for farm raised crap. When you do see anything wild it is typically at least $23.99/pound
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah we bring some down for my sister in montana and the relatives also. It cost us a lot to get the fish but it is worth it. Mom and dad also put about 10 frozen. The baby sister took a bunch back to syracuse last fall when she went back to collage. They couldn't belive the difference in taste. We fish the easy way with a 300 ft drift net.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
You're killing me!

I remember a few years ago, I had a field engineer that I hired.  I let him go home for the 4th of July long weekend since things were slow.  He came big with a huge slab of smoked King.........
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah we bring some down for my sister in montana and the relatives also. It cost us a lot to get the fish but it is worth it. Mom and dad also put about 10 frozen. The baby sister took a bunch back to syracuse last fall when she went back to collage. They couldn't belive the difference in taste. We fish the easy way with a 300 ft drift net.

you should take more back for your baby sister and stay a bit..........
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#10]
She will be going to Bozemen,MT for her PhD in biomedical engineering so she will be closer. My dad is from Montana and we were all born there. The fish go quick when we send some down. The nieces love strips the best. They get smoked with cotton wood,alder and another type of wood. Sometimes some punk is burnt to give a different flavor but not very much.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The only salmon I've had is in the form of Jewish lox. Good stuff. I eat it on a bagel with creamed cheese and a slice of tomato.

Quoted:
After they are cut into slabs and strips they are soaked in a brine for up to 5 minutes. Then they are dried under cover outside till they get a good hard crust on the outside for up to 5 days then they go into the smokehouse.
From the day you start to the day you brine the fish, comes out of the smoke house, approximately what is the elapsed time?

Quoted:
Well mom and dad put up about 70 kings done into strips and slabs.
That is a lot of salmon.  In So. Calif we get the Peruvian farmed salmon, and it something like $9/lb at the local super when it is not on sale, on sale it is around $5-$7/lb.

You are truly a fortunate soul, to have 70 king salmon. Right now, there is a moratorium on salmon fishing because there is a good possibility of the collapse of the salmon fishery because of low number of salmon going up the Columbia River for spawning, which is not good for anybody.  The salmon fisherman are pratically destitute because they can't work, but they still have to pay for their boat.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
It takes about a month from start to finish. Same thing on the commercial fishing up here. This was the first year in 6 yrs we have not had days closed for both subsistance and commercial fishing. For subsistance we had 3 days closed and 4 open. Over fishing in the 80's and intercept fisheries are to blame. There are familys that put up over 200 fish a summer to eat.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It takes about a month from start to finish. Same thing on the commercial fishing up here. This was the first year in 6 yrs we have not had days closed for both subsistance and commercial fishing. For subsistance we had 3 days closed and 4 open. Over fishing in the 80's and intercept fisheries are to blame. There are familys that put up over 200 fish a summer to eat.
I hope the salmon fishery is not about to collapse that would be very very terrible. I visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium and they spoke about over fishing in many regions of the US and the world and the possible collapse of the fishery. I love salmon and blue fin tuna, but if it means collapse of the fisheries then I will pass.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The salmon would bee in the mess they are in if state and fed's would listen to locals.
THey kings were slow this year but will know more at the end of season this month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top