Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2008 7:56:44 AM EDT
Zuchini is on!  I'm picking 4 to 6 small/med. zuchini's a day.
Recipes?  How do you use it?  Tips on getting friends & neighbors to take it?

We do make some zuchini bread, a chocalate cake w/ brown sugar/chocolate chip topping and sliced long ways w/ Ital. dressing, grilled as a side dish (very good, but usually takes longer than the meat to cook).

Other recipes / ideas for the zuchini?
This should be a must in a survival garden - early and bountiful harvet.
RRA15
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
stir fry, sautee, slice it thin bread it and deep fry
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Zuchini is on!  I'm picking 4 to 6 small/med. zuchini's a day.
Recipes?  How do you use it?  Tips on getting friends & neighbors to take it?

We do make some zuchini bread, a chocalate cake w/ brown sugar/chocolate chip topping and sliced long ways w/ Ital. dressing, grilled as a side dish (very good, but usually takes longer than the meat to cook).

Other recipes / ideas for the zuchini?
This should be a must in a survival garden - early and bountiful harvet.
RRA15

you can check this thread,,.CHEFS THREAD.or try the following

INGREDIENTS
8 medium yellow squash or zucchini, shredded
1 onion, shredded
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS
Place the squash and onion in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and drain about 30 minutes, until no longer moist.
In a bowl, mix the squash and onion, flour, cornmeal, egg, and cheese. Season with pepper.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Drop squash mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls into the skillet, and cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

Ratatouille

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
salt to taste
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 zucchini, sliced
1 large onion, sliced into rings
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 green bell pepper, sliced
2 large tomatoes, chopped

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat bottom and sides of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until lightly browned. Mix in parsley and eggplant. Saute until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
Spread eggplant mixture evenly across bottom of prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Spread zucchini in an even layer over top. Lightly salt and sprinkle with a little more cheese. Continue layering in this fashion, with onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes, covering each layer with a sprinkling of salt and cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
you can sub the yellow squash for the eggplant..

SW SQUASH CASSEROLE
INGREDIENTS
2 pounds yellow squash, cut in 1/4 inch slices
2 sweet onions, quartered and separated
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup crushed tortilla chips

DIRECTIONS
Lightly grease a large casserole dish. Arrange the squash, onions, and red bell pepper in the dish. Place in the microwave, and cook on High 10 minutes, stirring once, until tender.
Gently mix the mushrooms, green chile peppers, jalapeno peppers, cheese, and sour cream into the dish. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips. Cover dish, and cook in the microwave 10 minutes on Medium-high power, or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through

Stewed Tomatoes with Dumplings  

INGREDIENTS
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup biscuit/baking mix
3 tablespoons milk

DIRECTIONS
In a saucepan, combine the tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. In a bowl, combine the biscuit mix and milk. Drop batter in four mounds onto the tomatoes.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).

also..

seach Zucchini bread, Zucchini cake etc..adds lots of fiber to some tasty goodness similar to bannana bread but not as sweet,,,I really like it with good rich french roast coffee...

CHEF

heres some more..

zucc is a great filler to alot of things as you have discovered,,of course shares the basis of Ratatouille with other mass producer, Eggplant, ad some pepper, mushrooms. tomato and onions it is a great side but even more so a main entree.

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
salt to taste
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 zucchini, sliced
1 large onion, sliced into rings
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 green bell pepper, sliced
2 large tomatoes, chopped

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat bottom and sides of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until lightly browned. Mix in parsley and eggplant. Saute until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
Spread eggplant mixture evenly across bottom of prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Spread zucchini in an even layer over top. Lightly salt and sprinkle with a little more cheese. Continue layering in this fashion, with onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes, covering each layer with a sprinkling of salt and cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.

and my only other addition are fritters mentioned in an earlier post and

Zucchini Pancakes..
INGREDIENTS
4 eggs
2 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
Preheat grill to 425 to 450 degrees F (220 to 225 degrees C).
In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, add shredded zucchini and mix well using a fork. Add flour, sugar, salt and vegetable oil and stir to blend well. Finally, add baking powder and mix well using a large spoon. The batter's consistency should be like heavy whipping cream.
Spoon batter on hot grill (about 2 tablespoons) for each pancake. Cook until there are no longer bubbles forming in the pancake about 2 minutes; turn over and cook for 2 minutes longer. Rub pancakes with melted butter and serve immediately.

you can serve with applesauce instead of butter..as well as subsitute for oil in the recipe
also can be used with carrots, potatoe, summer squash and other, shreadable vegetables..

zucchini is a great way to add FIBER to your diet currently, very filling and grows in abundance should SHTF and..grows well unattended it you were to plant in a hidden garden

GOOD COOKING

CHEF

Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
tagscribe for harvest time
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Easy way to grill it. Brush both sides with olive oil and season both sides with Cavenders. When put on the grill with Burgers or Brats they will pick up some of the flavor of the meat. I don't like Zucchini but its good like this.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Here two ways we burn up some zuchinni, the first Mom always made, I don't know where the recipe came from. I made it tonight and can get it on the table in 45 minutes. (my personal tips in parenthesis)

Zucchini Crescent Pie

Preheat oven to 375

Ingredients:

4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (I halve it)
1 cup diced onion
½ stick butter

2 eggs
2 cups mozzarella cheese

1 8oz can crescent rolls
1-2 tbsp mustard (WARNING - don't skip the mustard - try different kinds - I like plain yellow spread on thick)

Seasoning:
2 tbsp parsley flakes
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp basil
¼ tsp oregano

2 eggs

Stir fry zucchini and onions in butter for 10 minutes, add seasoning and mix well.
Combine beaten eggs and cheese, stir into zucchini mixture.

Separate crescent rolls into flats and press into 8”-9” pie pan to make a crust on bottom and up the sides of pan (I use an 8” square Pyrex casserole dish) Spread mustard over the crust (Use the mustard for lube when spreading the crust to fit).
Pour the zucchini mixture over the crust and bake for 18-20 minutes or until center is set, cover with foil for the last 10 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

This is from Martha Stewart, still good.

Barbecued Chicken Pizza

Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 40 minutes

If you have a pizza stone, place it in the preheating oven; after assembling the pie on the baking sheet, slide it onto the stone, and bake as directed. Look for ready-made pizza dough in your grocery's freezer section; it is usually sold in packages of two one-pound balls. Or, ask your local pizzeria for a pound of fresh dough.

Ingredients:

Olive oil, for baking sheet
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1 pound store-bought frozen pizza dough, thawed
1/2 cooked chicken, (about 1 1/4 pounds), shredded (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup store-bought barbecue sauce
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly oil a large baking sheet; set aside.
On a lightly floured work surface, use a rolling pin and your hands to roll and stretch dough to a 15-by-10-inch oval, if dough becomes too elastic to work with, let rest a few minutes. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
In a medium bowl, combine chicken and barbecue sauce. Leaving a 1-inch border, scatter chicken mixture evenly over dough; sprinkle with cheese, then zucchini and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake until crust is golden and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Either will feed my family of four (me, wife, 2yo, 4yo), with leftovers rare.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Leave on neighbors doorsteps in middle of the night. Hide plant under camo tarp to keep them from figuring out it was you.

Seriously, though, great recipes on here. Zotero'ing this page, will print off recipes for MrsBikes
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks and keep them coming, as the Zuc's will keep coming at least until the squash bugs show up.

I'm trading some today for cabbage.
RRA15
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
When they get big you can grind them  up and make some pretty good relish!

When they get way too big the are fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Was talking to a friend and he said his grandmother used to pickle it. Thought it sounded interesting to can at some time in the future, but I don't have any specific recipe for the pickles. You might try adding into chicken soup.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I like stuffed Zucc, Pick it when its not too big for this. I halve it, scoop out the pulp in the middle and save it. Cook the halves in a covered skillit for three or four minuted each side in some watter to make it softer. Then mix the pulp with your favorate shreeded cheese, some chopped up peperonni, chopped onion and anything else you want and fill the scopped out center of the halves. Put into pan and bake covered in the oven for about half an hour at 350. uncover and broil the last two or three minutes to brown. It's great.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
My Dad put in some zucchini plants one year. (Everyone avoided him when he told them he had SEVEN plants!)

Mom used to cut them lengthwise, butter them, then bake them. VERY tasty!
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#13]
A friend uses extra zucchini to make seedless raspberry jam with. You could make any kind of jam, not just raspberry, you are only limited to flavors available.

Apparently it uses peeled and grated zucchini, and flavored Jello, hence the seedless.

I know that the smaller the zucchini, the more flavor they have, so you can use the larger ones for making your own jams.

Sugar free or not, off brands, True Lemon, Lime or Orange.

There are many recipes that come up with a Google search, but I have no experience with them. I'll try to find and post the recipe, but I am sure there are many to be found searching online.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I always either peel em or not peel em and slice em up roll em in egg and then flour and put up about 25 sandwich bags in freezer - just enough for me to get that good taste of summer when the cold winds and snow blow around outside - then i fry em up in a little oil and have a winter time summer time snack. works for me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#15]
feed the pigs.
pigs love squash.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Cut them in half lengthwise. Coat with olive oil. Sprinkle everglades seasoning on the flat side. Grill on high heat or in cast iron pan for 5 minutes on each side. You want them el-dente. Even the kids love it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Slice them and soak them in a light salt water for about 30 minutes, dredge them in flower then egg, them italian seasoned bread crumbs, fry them, and top them off with a slice of tomato, mozzarella cheese and a basil leafs.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#18]
The wife slips it into her lasagna to trick me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Right now, Iron Chef America is having "Battle Zuchini"
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Good ideas and suggestions in this thread. I'll have to try some.

Based on some info posted here, I threw one on the grill tonight. Sliced it lengthwise, put some olive oil, pepper, season salt and then at the end melted some Parmesan on it. Came out tender and very good.

My favorite is chocolate zucchini cake.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I usually put zuccinni, squash, red onion, garlic, baby carrots, green/red peppers, kosher salt, ground black pepper and some parsley and a tablespoon of water in an aluminium foil bag (fold foil in half, fold up sides to seal, add ingredients, fold last side closed).

Then put on grill while cooking chops, chicken or whatever.  GREAT veggies for side dish.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Zucchini relish as listed in The Blue Book of Canning is awesome!
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#23]
We LOVE Zucchini Fries!

This particular recipe calls for Panko bread crumbs which I never have...I use the Italian seasoned ones....YUM!  Be sure you get the oil hot enough though.  If it is too cool, your Zucchini will soak it up.  Patience, Grasshopper.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll have to try out some of these recipes because I have more zucchini than I know what do with.

Link Posted: 9/14/2008 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#25]
One of the easiest kickass preparations...

- Zucchini
- olive oil
- bread crumbs
- red pepper flakes
- Romano or Parmesan

1. slice and begin saute of zucchini in thin layer of olive oil.

2. add red pepper flakes and turn zucchini

3. toss in bread crumbs and cheese (a little goes a long way, same with the flakes above), saute 1-2 min more

Works well with any white or creamy pasta (will even work with red), chicken, or veal dish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top