Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 12:45:45 PM EDT
Here is the scenario:

I have a group of church kids that I take camping and hiking.  In the next few weeks I would like to take them "survival" camping.  They will build thier own shelters ect....They will prepare thier own foods.  They have to come up with 3 SIMPLE /EASY menu ideas for the camp.  But they have to pack everything they need in.  NO CARS.  

So I am asking for ideas that I can help them with as far as simple Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner menus.

One of the smaller kids wanted to build an oven out of rocks to make pizza.  I like the idea but I know it would be a lot of work.....maybe.  Anyway, all ideas will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe some MREs.....you can cook eggs relatively easy with a small camp skillet just get one of those hard plastic egg holders......tortillas thrown in a skillet with some eggs make a breakfast burrito hats
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
MREs are the easy way out .  Instant rice is good.  So is ramen.  I also like dehydrated potatoes.  A slab of bacon will hold up pretty good for a day or two.  Jerky is always good to have.  You can just eat it or you can put it in stew or whatever.  Trail mix is a must, too.  I usually just make my own.  Just put some raisins, peanuts and pretzels or cheerios into little baggies and eat them on the go.  It's good, easy and cheap.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
taking a cooler? (milk, eggs etc)

if not, a dutch oven or stew kettle?

dried beans,
dried beef,
salt pork and/or fish
dried/cured sausages

depending on how much you are carring, you could google some cowboy/chuckwagon/muleskinner type recipes using the above ingredients or more

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
When my boy's scout troop goes camping, for breakfast they make omelettes in plastic sandwich bags and boil them. They actually turn out pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When my boy's scout troop goes camping, for breakfast they make omelettes in plastic sandwich bags and boil them. They actually turn out pretty good.

That's a clever idea, thanks.
Top Top