Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Best lighter? (Page 1 of 6)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/25/2022 10:04:23 AM EDT
I've tried several fancy "survival" lighters, and they were all expensive, bulky and unreliable - utter disappointments.

I've tried piezo-electric disposables, and they were unreliable.

Lighters that use lighter fluid have evaporation and leakage problems, and they smell.

Everyone seems to use BICs, but they are cheap, fragile, and difficult to use with cold hands.

I've been using DJEEPs - higher quality and better ergonomics - but they seem unavailable since BIC bought them out.

Translucent Clippers get some good reviews, but none of the convenience stores I've checked carry them. Before I order some on Ebay, any suggestions?

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
I've tried several fancy "survival" lighters, and they were all expensive, bulky and unreliable - utter disappointments.

I've tried piezo-electric disposables, and they were unreliable.

Lighters that use lighter fluid have evaporation and leakage problems, and they smell.

Everyone seems to use BICs, but they are cheap, fragile, and difficult to use with cold hands.

I've been using DJEEPs - higher quality and better ergonomics - but they seem unavailable since BIC bought them out.

Translucent Clippers get some good reviews, but none of the convenience stores I've checked carry them. Before I order some on Ebay, any suggestions?

View Quote

I don't buy into the special survival lighter thing...  Use regular lighters with spares or enhancements.

My #1 go to emergency lighter is a regular Bic (always tested) in an Exotac case.

https://www.exotac.com/products/firesleeve

Shop around because you can find the Exotac cases on places like Amazon & Midway.

My #2 go to and what I pocket carry when out is a good old Zippo with a spare flint or two inside it.  I always fuel them up if I am headed out into the woods, or if they sat around and dried out.

My #3 go to is a Clipper lighter.  It's a refillable, and re flintable version of a Bic if you will.  I pocket carry one of these if I am not carrying a Zippo.

If I am headed outdoors or off grid in actual wilderness, I add a pack or vile of storm matches.  My backup/ emergency SAK is a Victorinox Walker (blade/ saw/ can opener) with a fire steel toggle lanyard.

I don't usually bring an actual full size ferro rod or fire steel when hunting or participating in active outdoor activities as I view that as more of a fun bushcraft thing.  If I am going to be miles away from anything I always go out prepared with redundancies so the chances of me needing to use a ferro rod to build a fire in an actual emergency is slim to none.  I will use a lighter or matches for that.

I recommend UCO storm matches for emergency use/ backup.  I often have a regular book or two of paper matches in my emergency kit along with a small regular style candle for fire starting (not tea light kind.)  Modern strike anywhere matches suck so treat them like regular paper matches.

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thederrick106:I don't buy into the special survival lighter thing...  Use regular lighters with spares or enhancements...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:I don't buy into the special survival lighter thing...  Use regular lighters with spares or enhancements...
MeToo#

Originally Posted By thederrick106:
My #1 go to emergency lighter is a regular Bic (always tested) in an Exotac case.
They are too cheaply made for my taste. Occasionally they leak, if you step on one it's likely to break, and the childproof thing makes them difficult to use with cold hands.

Originally Posted By thederrick106: My #2 go to and what I pocket carry when out is a good old Zippo with a spare flint or two inside it...
They're heavy, the fuel evaporates even if you don't use them, they need to be refilled frequently, and they stink up your hunting clothes.

Originally Posted By thederrick106:... I recommend UCO storm matches ...
I bought a ton of these on sale once and was hugely disappointed. They frequently break when you strike them, there are lots of "duds", and the striker strips wear out way before the box of matches is empty. They weren't even good for lighting the indoor woodstove. And woe to you if even a single snowflake falls on either a match or the striker strip out in the woods, you may as well just throw it away.

Originally Posted By thederrick106:  I don't usually bring an actual full size ferro rod or fire steel when hunting or participating in active outdoor activities as I view that as more of a fun bushcraft thing...
The one (huge) advantage of ferrocerium is that it can't get too wet to spark. I usually keep one in a pocket.

I frequently fly at low altitudes over big woods. My idea of survival gear is what you have in your pockets when you crawl out of wreckage, and my philosophy is to have three ways to start a fire with one hand. In other words, three lighters.

BICs would almost certainly be good enough. But I'm wondering if Clippers or some other brand would be better.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#3]
MeToo#

They are too cheaply made for my taste. Occasionally they leak, if you step on one it's likely to break, and the childproof thing makes them difficult to use with cold hands.

They're heavy, the fuel evaporates even if you don't use them, they need to be refilled frequently, and they stink up your hunting clothes.

I bought a ton of these on sale once and was hugely disappointed. They frequently break when you strike them, there are lots of "duds", and the striker strips wear out way before the box of matches is empty. They weren't even good for lighting the indoor woodstove. And woe to you if even a single snowflake falls on either a match or the striker strip out in the woods, you may as well just throw it away.

The one (huge) advantage of ferrocerium is that it can't get too wet to spark. I usually keep one in a pocket.

I frequently fly at low altitudes over big woods. My idea of survival gear is what you have in your pockets when you crawl out of wreckage, and my philosophy is to have three ways to start a fire with one hand. In other words, three lighters.

BICs would almost certainly be good enough. But I'm wondering if Clippers or some other brand would be better.
View Quote

Sounds like you know what you need then.  

You can remove the child thing on a Bic in about 10 seconds & I never thought a zippo was too heavy.  The Exotac case fixes the stepping on a Bic issue.  

I never hunt much more than ~8 miles from my vehicle so the chances of me ending up in a situation where I spend several nights in the woods is minimal and easily handled with what I carry.

We put our wall tent about 4 miles from where we park this year and hunt another 4 or 5 beyond that.  We leave a propane torch in the tent for starting fires in the woodstove.
I do the same at home.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I haven't gone hunting out west since pre COVID but when we head to MT again next year, I will add a ferro rod to my hunting kit as I will be in unfamiliar territory.  Where I live and hunt in the Northeast one can walk over 20 miles without hitting a road but don't consider that "big woods" but it could definitely put a non-outdoorsman/ unprepared individual in a bad situation quick.

Two is one, one is none.

ETA/ I see your in NH, which is only one state over from me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The Exotac sleeve solves most of the shortcomings of a Bic. I wish they’d make one for the Bic Mini.

A lighter, matches, a ferro rod, and a couple Pull-Start Fire blocks should guarantee you get a fire going when needed.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tigglesworth:
The Exotac sleeve solves most of the shortcomings of a Bic. I wish they’d make one for the Bic Mini.

A lighter, matches, a ferro rod, and a couple Pull-Start Fire blocks should guarantee you get a fire going when needed.
View Quote

It would be neat to have one for a mini bic!  That would make it much more "pocketable."
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Looks like they are still available on Amazon...  Pricey but available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VFCWY8H?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't buy into the special survival lighter thing...  Use regular lighters with spares or enhancements.

Shop around because you can find the Exotac cases on places like Amazon & Midway.

My #2 go to and what I pocket carry when out is a good old Zippo with a spare flint or two inside it.  I always fuel them up if I am headed out into the woods, or if they sat around and dried out.

My #3 go to is a Clipper lighter.  It's a refillable, and re flintable version of a Bic if you will.  I pocket carry one of these if I am not carrying a Zippo.

If I am headed outdoors or off grid in actual wilderness, I add a pack or vile of storm matches.  My backup/ emergency SAK is a Victorinox Walker (blade/ saw/ can opener) with a fire steel toggle lanyard.

I don't usually bring an actual full size ferro rod or fire steel when hunting or participating in active outdoor activities as I view that as more of a fun bushcraft thing.  If I am going to be miles away from anything I always go out prepared with redundancies so the chances of me needing to use a ferro rod to build a fire in an actual emergency is slim to none.  I will use a lighter or matches for that.

I recommend UCO storm matches for emergency use/ backup.  I often have a regular book or two of paper matches in my emergency kit along with a small regular style candle for fire starting (not tea light kind.)  Modern strike anywhere matches suck so treat them like regular paper matches.

View Quote
That is a nice cover for the bics.

Will get a few for the boat and snogo as it will keep them a bit better. Orange will be the color.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

Will get a few for the boat and snogo as it will keep them a bit better. Orange will be the color.
View All Quotes

I went with orange as well.  I also tied a loop of orange paracord through the top and bottom parts, so they stay connected when using it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
OP:  Have you tried a "peanut" lighter?

I have and have used cheap rechargeable plasma lighters but it's not something I would wasn't to rely on.  I carry one in my EDC bag, so I have a lighter, but it's not really my go to outdoor option.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
OP:  Have you tried a "peanut" lighter?...
View Quote
Yep, I have one. It's a neat little gadget, but not as convenient and not as much bang-for-the-buck as, say, the DJEEP disposables I've been using for the past few years.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:... Where I live and hunt in the Northeast one can walk over 20 miles without hitting a road but don't consider that "big woods"...
View Quote
You are way out of my league, in Rodent-World, 20 miles without a road is true wilderness.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]

I went with orange as well.  I also tied a loop of orange paracord through the top and bottom parts, so they stay connected when using it.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:03:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#13]
You are way out of my league, in Rodent-World, 20 miles without a road is true wilderness.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:... Where I live and hunt in the Northeast one can walk over 20 miles without hitting a road but don't consider that "big woods"...

I wouldn't say that...  My 20 miles without an actual road would be the max worst case scenario, and to be fair you would probably hit a river and or logging type road in 10 unless you are incredibly unlucky, and hopelessly lost without any idea which direction to go.  I hunt in the Adirondacks.  There are two regions above and below where we frequent that are even larger but you're talking ADK high peaks region which is pretty remote, and the deer are fewer and far between in those areas.  With all that said Montana and Colorado are whole different ball game, and pretty impressive.  I can't even fathom what Alaska would be like other than looking at maps and reading or watching TV about it.  When out west remote hunting I carry a spare GPS (etrex 20 with local topo loaded on it) in my hunting pack.  Back in 2016 I was in the Zirkle MTN wilderness area, and its remoteness is incredible.  I have since upgraded my Rino 120 to a Rino 650.  I would like to get a Rino 750 but they are ~$500 still and waiting for a deal.

Pic from 2016:

Attachment Attached File

11K ft elevation is a killer!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I need to get back in the shape I was in back in 2016

Back on the lighter topic I have always found value in having a fueled-up Zippo in my pocket.  If you can accept the fiddly hassle of keeping it fueled with a spare flint the chances of it letting you down is far less than a plastic lighter.  A Zippo is not a leave in the pack type of lighter if it's not in your pocket with attention paid to it, it's useless.

If you like the DJeep I would order some online and use what you know.  I have used them, and they are a bit more robust than the bic, but I like the bic paired with the exotac case for a stick in my pack emergency thing.

I will follow up with another post with pics from my current kit/ hunting pack.

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:14:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#14]
I have found the Thunderbird single "Jet" insert into a solid Brass case Zippo lighter useful for everyday use.

Re-fillable (and re-flintable) Cricket Clipper lighters also entirely useful for everyday use, and possibly useful for uncommon tasks that the Thunderbird is not well-suited.  IDK how long fairly newish Crickets will retain their fuel charge but have not yet seen any noticeable fuel leakage.  Same for TB insert.

Thunderbird Zippo lighter "Jet" insert likely more wind-resistant than Zippo or Bic lighters.  OTOH, TB insert has FAR less fuel capacity than Clipper refillable lighters, which seem to have similar fuel capacity as do the larger Bic lighters.

Some campers might be interested in a lighter that runs off same 90% alcohol fuel as their Trangia stoves.  Probably some form of Zippo.  IDK, and suggestions most welcome.

For me, Bics are a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesn't take much weight or space to have redundancies.  Over the years I have minimalized my hunting survival related gear to the bare minimum I feel comfortable with to date.  Personal skill level also plays a role in gear selection and comfort.  I can start a fire with a ferro rod in most conditions, but the comfort and ease of a lighter in emergency conditions is worth it.

Heck, I have successfully started a few bow drill fires in optimal conditions but what we deal with in the northeast is not that.  I know it would be impossible for me to do in damp, never mind wet conditions.  I found it so difficult and time consuming in my AO to make a bow drill fire that I gave up trying to get better at it.  If I was in a dry aired climate, I have no doubt I could do it in a pinch, but not where I live and recreate.  Thats why I always pocket a lighter or ferro rod...  Matches are the backup to that.

I have two different packages in my pack.  The larger one is general/ first use stuff.  The smaller ziplock package has more or less emergency last-ditch gear that is stored in a different pocket in my pack.  Zippo rides in my pocket, or the hip pocket of my pack depending on the pants I wear as some have deep pockets and stuff in the bugs me when covering miles.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By raf:
I have found the Thunderbird single "Jet" insert into a solid Brass case Zippo lighter useful for everyday use.

Re-fillable (and re-flintable) Cricket lighters also entirely useful for everyday use, and possibly useful for uncommon tasks that the Thunderbird is not well-suited.  IDK how long fairly newish Crickets will retain their fuel charge but have not yet seen any noticeable fuel leakage.  Same for TB insert.

Thunderbird lighter insert may be more wind-resistant, but not by much.

Some campers might be interested in a lighter that runs off same 90% alcohol fuel as their Trangia stoves.  Probably some form of Zippo.  IDK, and suggestions most welcome.

View Quote

I am guessing Cricket lighters are the same thing as Clipper lighters?  I have and use them as well.

Thunderbird Jet... Never tried or handled one but they look good!
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:15:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#17]

I am guessing Cricket lighters are the same thing as Clipper lighters?  I have and use them as well.

View All Quotes

Re-fillable (and re-flintable) Cricket lighters also entirely useful for everyday use, and possibly useful for uncommon tasks that the Thunderbird is not well-suited.  IDK how long fairly newish Crickets will retain their fuel charge but have not yet seen any noticeable fuel leakage.  Same for TB insert.

Thunderbird lighter insert may be more wind-resistant, but not by much.

My apologies, and you are correct; revised my post above to state "Clipper" lighters.  Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Some Clipper lighters have adjustable flame, likely useful in high altitudes.  All are re-fillable, re-flintable, and can have new striker wheels installed.

In my experience, installing a new flint is all but impossible in the field, so strongly suggest removing the striker/flint assy and re-installing a new assy.

Flints can be replaced (with common Zippo flints) on the workshop table, with good light, correct tiny screwdriver, and steady hands--maybe a magnifying glass.  In the field, yank out the entire flint/striker wheel assy and shove in a new one.

I bought multiple lighters, and multiple flint/striker wheel assys. So far, no regrets.

That's part of the "beauty" of the Clipper lighter.

I have found that opening the Zippo case (with TB insert) then pushing down the thumb-plunger just a little bit, to allow initial gas flow, and then, maybe 1/2 second after fully depressing the thumb plunger to actuate piezo-electric ignitor often gives a much better first-time flame ignition.  Perhaps my individual TB insert.

I mention this as the Piezo-electric ignitor on TB inserts may be a "failure" point, so the fewer times it is actuated, the longer it will last. IDK how many actuations the Piezo electric actuator on any TB insert will last, just generally speaking.  In short, without un-repairable Piezo electric ignitor, all such "inserts" are useless.

Thunderbird (Zippo) inserts available in different types, some being "Jet" and some "Open" flame.  "Jet" inserts may have single and dual "Jets".  Single, adjustable "Jet" seems to work OK for me even in windy environments, in no case any worse than a traditional Zippo, and in most windy cases as good or better. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]
My apologies, and you are correct; revised my post above to state "Clipper" lighters.  Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Some Clipper lighters have adjustable flame, likely useful in high altitudes.  All are re-fillable, re-flintable, and can have new striker wheels installed.

In my experience, installing a new flint is all but impossible in the field, so strongly suggest removing the striker/flint assy and re-installing a new assy.

Flints can be replaced (with common Zippo flints) on the workshop table, with good light, correct tiny screwdriver, and steady hands--maybe a magnifying glass.  In the field, yank out the entire flint/striker wheel assy and shove in a new one.

I bought multiple lighters, and multiple flint/striker wheel assys. So far, no regrets.

That's part of the "beauty" of the Clipper lighter.

I have found that opening the Zippo case (with TB insert) then pushing down the thumb-plunger just a little bit, to allow initial gas flow, and then, maybe 1/2 second after fully depressing the thumb plunger to actuate piezo-electric ignitor often gives a much better first-time flame ignition.  Perhaps my individual TB insert.

I mention this as the Piezo-electric ignitor on TB inserts may be a "failure" point, so the fewer times it is actuated, the longer it will last. IDK how many actuations the Piezo electric actuator on any TB insert will last, just generally speaking.  In short, without un-repairable Piezo electric ignitor, all such "inserts" are useless.

Thunderbird (Zippo) inserts available in different types, some being "Jet" and some "Open" flame.  "Jet" inserts may have single and dual "Jets".  Single, adjustable "Jet" seems to work OK for me even in windy environments, in no case any worse than a traditional Zippo, and in most windy cases as good or better. YMMV.
View Quote

Thanks for the info!  I bought a case of 48 Clippers back in 2016 for $34.99.  I am still using my original two I took out of the pack and replaced the flint on one, once.  I gave one or two away but still have plenty, and they seem to be taking to longevity better than expected.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Thanks for the info!  I bought a case of 48 Clippers back in 2016 for $34.99.  I am still using my original two I took out of the pack and replaced the flint on one, once.  I gave one or two away but still have plenty, and they seem to be taking to longevity better than expected.
View Quote
This is an example of how we can learn from others.  Respectful comments respectfully replied-to is a wonderful thing.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#20]
zippo with extra fuel and flints.

bics are cheap so carry those as well.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
This is an example of how we can learn from others.  Respectful comments respectfully replied-to is a wonderful thing.
View All Quotes

Ditto.  This is one reason why I love arfcom SF.  Best forum people left in the wasteland of the world wide web.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Arfcom GD has always been the cesspool that allows Technical Forums to operate properly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#23]
My Trekker Stormproof lighter is 10+ years old (company bought over by UST, but it looks like the same thing).

I don't smoke, so it's only used for backpacking/camping. There have been years where I wasn't able to make it out, so the lighter literally sat in my pack untouched for 12-18 months. Still had 3/4 of the fuel left, and lit right up on the first click, like it always does.

Only used Vector quintuple refined butane in it, and as mentioned, it lights up first time, every time. The orange rubber armor is dirty and grungy now, but hasn't cracked or peeled, and the lighter's been dropped on rocks with no damage.

For backpacking though, I also carry a Blastmatch as a backup Firestarter.

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I find Bics to be pretty damn durable and reliable. Water is about their only weakness and even then they're generally still usable with a little effort.

I've tried several other lighters trying to get more robust or fancy but the simplicity and durability of the Bic makes them stand out at the top of my list.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#25]
In this peculiar instance of lighters being reliable and also wind-resistant, suggest that smokers who use various lighters under all rain/wind conditions are most likely to be able to evaluate such lighters.

Fair-weather and occasional lighter users' reports might not be so reliable as reports from folks using lighters day in and day out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#26]
In this peculiar instance of lighters being reliable and also wind-resistant, suggest that smokers who use various lighters under all rain/wind conditions are most likely to be able to evaluate such lighters.

Fair-weather and occasional lighter users' reports might not be so reliable as reports from folks using lighters day in and day out.
View Quote

That's another thing I like about the Trekker. It's a jet lighter, so wind doesn't faze it. If the wind is strong enough to blow that out, you're trying to start a fire in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 8:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#27]

View Quote
I thought of that, too. I don’t know any heavy smokers to ask, and I can’t find any pertinent online forums. There are forums for potheads, and they seem to prefer Clippers for reasons other than durability. There are forums for cigar smokers, and they tend to go for high-end status-symbol lighters. I’d like to know what people who use a lighter a hundred times a day think.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 9:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kskvetski] [#28]
Here are my most commonly used items in order form the least BTUs per second and the most. This is also a scale of least reliable to most reliable.

BTUs per second is the name of the game. A champion of that is ferro rods onto cotton ball vaseine firestarters. That is the heart of this article.

Starting on the left the little paper matches don’t burn very hot nor very long. In extreme cold it would almost be best to burn the whole sleeve of matches to get a sufficient fireball. The next is the little strike anywhere match made of wood. It’s nicer but still not great. Next  is the full size match, strike anywhere. These can make decent 2 minute candles if wrapped in paper towels and dipped into hot candle wax. The flame the modified version is not very wind resistant but it does burn warm and is relatively small to carry. Next is the UCO stormproof match. These are decent but not always 100% to ignite. But they will be 100% windproof and 100% waterproof when lit. They burn for at least 20 seconds. It is important to be somewhat cynical and therefore a realist with burn times so you don’t overestimate your burn time like a goofy fool. Next is the mini bic lighter. It is a decent lighter for its size. The volume of fuel is fair and not great but sufficient of you use it sparingly and pair it with a small birthday cake candle to immensely extend the lifespan of flames. Then you have the clipper lighter which holds more than a small bic lighter but less than a full size bic lighter. I bought one of those to see how they work and the only real advantage is they are refillable. Other than that I see zero results based benefits over a bic.The lighter has a removable center so you can spark the ferrocium onto anything flammable such as cotton balls. Be realistic here, if your hands are very cold you will not be doing that. It’s a good lighter but it won’t be the best you can get, in fact far from it.

Now we are getting to the place where you should focus on. Forget about the pussy ultralight kits. This is about starting a fire and to do that reliably you want to start to get into the territory of overkill to be goddamn sure you get a fire going. The full size bic lighter is a good size overall because it holds a lot of fuel and is very easy to use. Make sure you remove the silly safety strap over the wheel. Pair it with birthday candles for an effortless fire that lasts a long time. All butane lighters excel in being used quickly so long as the temperature is above 40 degrees Fahrenheit. If minutes count for warming your body use a match or ferro rod instead as they are impervious to temperature changes.  

Next is in my opinion a very good design but not a perfect one. This is the peanut lighter XL by county comm. This uses a wick like a zippo and does not suffer from the needing to warm the butane to light issue the Bics do. The downside is it requires 2 hands to open which can be an issue in cold. So with the pros and cons it’s about equal to a bic in the most dire of circumstances.

Next we have a magnesium ferro rod combination. It’s a good combination but all you really need is the ferro rod. Magnesium flakes will burn if wet and they will burn at a magnificent rate when wet, just be careful as it is dangerous. The danger is a nice thing because now you’re getting to a point of absolutely no bullshit, ignition.

The last item on the top is a .5” x 6” ferro rod. This is the be all end all short of flares or propane torches for reliable ignition. This takes some practice, knowledge and skill to properly use to maximize it but it is easy. You will never worry about any weather or temperature ever with one of those and the perfect knowledge of how to employ it in the best way. In a ferro rod you want something that has a lot of material, a lanyard hole, a medium soft material. You want a ferro rod capable of starting a fire from a spark at waist high dropping onto tinder on the ground. If you do not have a ferro rod capable of that you do not have a true ferro rod in my mind, you have little toy.
Ferro rods will dissolve in jungle wet environments so it’s advisable or get one that fits inside a case such as a pvc pipe to keep it out of the elements if it’s in a wet area.

Now that the ignition sources are out of the way the next thing to look at and be knowledgeable about is tinder selection. Starting off with wax paper. Wax paper is water and humidity resistant, very slim and takes a flame or spark very easily. It does not burn very long but it does burn well enough to ignite something else on fire. I highly recommend it. The wax also slows the rate the paper burns giving it slightly longer than uncoated paper. Next is jute twine. Jute twine is useful as a tinder and can be made into a candle if dipped into molten wax or Vaseline. Next is dryer lint which can be used just like jute twine except it’s a little better because it’s free. Next is a flat cotton face pad. The flat pads can be easier to handle cleanly than jute twine or lint and can be dunked into molten wax or vaseine, beeswax for a combination of a fuel and a tinder. Next is a piece of fatwood which is pine resin thickly packed into a piece of pine that has hardened into a totally waterproof and also flammable material. It can be scraped off the edges as a very fine and easily combustible from a ferro rod spark or be used as a minutes long burning fuel fire starter. It is very light and floats. The last items are vaseine, Vaseline cotton balls in a small Parmesan cheese container and beeswax. Vaseline corron balls can burn for ab absolute minimum of 1 minute of 4” high flames and heat output of equal to at least 3 bic lighters at the same time. They are not windproof but they get into the territory of overkill for fire starting which is exactly what you want.

The metal item below looking like a tube is a cheap telescopic magnet handle from harbor freight for the purpose of a telescopic bellows to blow onto the fire for more oxygen to make it burn hotter. If you crimp the end and make the opening very narrow it will increase the pressure and magnify the airflow.

In the orange UCO stormproof match container I have at least 15 strike anywhere matches, a spare piece of sandpaper inside, a mini bic lighter, and two birthday candles. Why one lighter and not 2? If I happen to want an immediate fire and the bic is too cold to use I will still have immediate flame.

Ok so this is gear but what about the how to carry and use it?

Well now we get into the thinking of worst case scenario. A failure to plan is a plan to fail and remember if it can go wrong it will. With that in mind the old philosophy of first line gear second line gear of the SOG teams of Vietnam is very useful.

The most useful piece of gear? The stuff you have on you. Ok so that means the ferro rod on a hi viz, strong cord lanyard, tied long enough to use and keep it permanently attached to the belt at all times without exception, period. You take off that lanyard and set it down once and lose it, well we plan for that with a hi viz lanyard. Why do things get planned so ridiculously worst case scenario? Because they always invent a better idiot to out idiot the most comprehensive idiot proof ways of thinking. The little jar of Vaseline cotton balls should be carried in ones pockets too and preferably in a waterproof container attached to that lanyard that, again, absolutely never comes off, period. Then second line gear can be all of the other lighters you want in a backpack or somewhere else but so long as you simply never remove the most critical piece of gear, the ferro rod lanyard, you’ll always have the smartest and most versatile and reliable, high volume fire starter on the planet short of a propane torch or flare.

The third and final picture is what I would carry when I needed a fire under any and all circumstances from the normal hike to if I had to go live in Alaska in the middle of winter.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought of that, too. I don't know any heavy smokers to ask, and I can't find any pertinent online forums. There are forums for potheads, and they seem to prefer Clippers for reasons other than durability. There are forums for cigar smokers, and they tend to go for high-end status-symbol lighters. I'd like to know what people who use a lighter a hundred times a day think.
View All Quotes

I thought of that, too. I don't know any heavy smokers to ask, and I can't find any pertinent online forums. There are forums for potheads, and they seem to prefer Clippers for reasons other than durability. There are forums for cigar smokers, and they tend to go for high-end status-symbol lighters. I'd like to know what people who use a lighter a hundred times a day think.
All the smokers in Bush AK use bics

All use their coats or sweaters to block the wind.
We do have pretty good access to birch bark except on the coastal areas.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:13:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#30]
Any "decent" ferro rod should arrive with a coating on the rod material, which protects it during storage.  If the rod has been used, and long-term storage is desired, simply spray it with some paint.  Having an air-tight tube for field use is also a wise idea. Thinking PVC and "O" rings in the caps.

Zippo flints used to have this coating, and some may still have it; red, IIRC.

The "bellows" tube pictured above is a surprisingly useful device.  Purpose-made units available on Amazon.  Search "pocket bellows".
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:25:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#31]
I have a waterproof bag full of Bics and Bic knockoffs in the car and in my pack, I pocket carry a Bic everyday for burning loose threads off my uniform and what not. I really wanted to like Zippos but the fuel evaporating thing was a no-go, they were fine for fidget toys after I filled them up.

I bought one of these Ronson Jetlites in the checkout line at Walmart years ago and liked it well enough, but if you think a Zippo is heavy you wouldn't like it, but it has a jet flame and is a sealed canister and seems to hold fuel much longer than Zippos (I need to buy one and test longevity, I fidget with them and use them and haven't let one just sit for a long period to see if they leak gas over time). You can buy Ronson butane refills to refill them with. I seem to have misplaced mine somewhere I should probably get another, I liked that it was a jet flame so you could angle the lighter downwards and not burn your fingers or melt the lighter like with a traditional flame. The button is extremely stiff to press, I may try to remove the childproofing spring like in the video below.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#32]
On the topic of man made/ pre prepped tinder my go to choice is regular jute twine (doubles as cordage) and waxed jute twine.  Other than some birch bark I have picked up with in the woods I never felt the need in my AO or other areas I have been to carry anything more.  When I get home from being in the woods I will take and post a pic of my small belt fire kit that I don't go without when out of my familiar AO.  Altoids tin with jute, waxed jute, mini bic, mini Ferro rod, sail needle, razor blade, p38.  Wrapped in a hank of Paracord and stores in a alice style compass pouch that goes with me when my pack doesn't.  This is a backup and supplement to whatever primary lighter is in my pocket and / or Ferro rod in my pocket or in / on other gear.  Some of my fixed blade sheaths have a loop some don't so it varies.   I don't EDC this stuff it's only goes with me when headed into the woods beyond my own back 40.  I do EDC a lighter often, and always in the winter.  What type of kind depends on my mood and what gear I happen to be testing or interested in at the time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#33]
All the smokers in Bush AK use bics...
View Quote
Is it because it's the best lighter, or is it because that's all that's available? Years ago BIC crushed the competition with its famous "Flick my BIC" ad campaign, and has the only game in town in a lot of North America ever since.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought of that, too. I don’t know any heavy smokers to ask, and I can’t find any pertinent online forums. There are forums for potheads, and they seem to prefer Clippers for reasons other than durability. There are forums for cigar smokers, and they tend to go for high-end status-symbol lighters. I’d like to know what people who use a lighter a hundred times a day think.
View Quote

Zippo for me  because wind driving an open Jeep. Have to pull over with a bic to get a light. Other than that functionally a bic has never let me down except when they are empty.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
Zippo for me...
View Quote
Non-starter for me. I won't even put gas in my car when I'm wearing my hunting clothes, I'm not about to carry a Zippo around. And even if they didn't stink, they're high-maintenance.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Is it because it's the best lighter, or is it because that's all that's available? Years ago BIC crushed the competition with its famous "Flick my BIC" ad campaign, and has the only game in town in a lot of North America ever since.
View All Quotes
Availability but some places do carry better lighters.
Sometimes the hazmat shipping is impossible.

A cousin was up in the mountains hunting during winter.
Had to warm up the Bic lighter before they could use them.
Even the coleman fuel and stove was having trouble.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

I can't recall ever seeing Clipper lighters in my AO nearly as often as I see Bics and other cheaper brands of lighters.

Clipper>> Bic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Junk lighters.  Butane lighters, all.

Any lighter using common butane fuel is going to need to be kept warm enough to use.  Even propane needs a certain ambient temp in order to evap within the tank and be useable.  Inside your pants pocket and next to your skin is usually sufficient for all but the most extreme cold temps.  The more insulation between you and your butane lighter, the colder the lighter gets.

IIRC, Butane will vaporize down to 30 Deg F, and Propane will vaporize down to -10 Deg F

High altitude/extreme cold weather campers who insist on using gas fueled stoves (as opposed to liquid fueled stoves) use a more expensive gas mixture in their fuel cannisters.  Not sure such fuel is available in any other form than the small cannisters for camping stoves, etc.

Kinda makes the case for burying large Propane fuel tanks for home heating/stoves, etc.--at least in some places.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#38]
Non-starter for me. I won't even put gas in my car when I'm wearing my hunting clothes, I'm not about to carry a Zippo around. And even if they didn't stink, they're high-maintenance.
View Quote
Liquid fueled Zippos are notorious for leaking fuel just sitting there.  IMHO, mostly fuel evap from the wick.  Carefully trimming the wick length may reduce evap fuel loss, but possibly to the detriment of overall utility/reliability of the Zippo.  Many attempts made to reduce such commonplace Zippo internal fuel evap issues, most of which involve bulky add-on cases, some of dubious worth, and most of considerable added expense.

Part of the utility of the Zippo is to flick it open and ignite it with one hand.  Many add-on cases make this a more difficult process.

The Zippo with Thunderbird insert solves most of these problems, IMHO.

FWIW, I keep some Zippos around (with flints uninstalled) as "backup" items, since they will burn lots of fuels.  If I'm ever forced to use them, it will be hard times, indeed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:32:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#39]
I still think Bic lighters are far more robust than given credit. I've never had one fail, other than out of fuel; which is also why I carry a second.

While bulky, I've had the Exotac Titan light, which is basically a very expensive Zippo, for a couple year. It still have the original Zippo lighter fuel I put in it and I light it up a few times a week just to check...and it's still going strong and no leaking:

Just adding more fuel to the fire

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:55:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#40]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
I still think Bic lighters are far more robust than given credit. I've never had one fail, other than out of fuel; which is also why I carry a second.

While bulky, I've had the Exotac Titan light, which is basically a very expensive Zippo, for a couple year. It still have the original Zippo lighter fuel I put in it and I light it up a few times a week just to check...and it's still going strong and no leaking:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.bwm42PTBOab3pRp0xCFG4gHaHa?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

ROCK6
View Quote
Zippo lighters are very robust, especially the thicker "Armor" cases which seem to be made with more care than the common case.

The Exotac lighter suggestion is a good one, as it is robust and solves the fuel evap issue common to Zippo lighters.  Unfortunately, it is a two-handed job to open it, so not suitable, IMHO, for everyday use or when one arm/hand is injured and unavailable, although a slotted rod or the like can be inserted into the cap loop, if need be.  I also don't like that the cap is not tethered to the main case, but some duct tape and suitable very thin cordage can fix that.

FWIW, just went to Exotac and spent about $160 (at 20% off) for some items.  Good kit, especially when on sale.  Reminds me of County Comm.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TribunusSanGeorgii] [#41]
I dont have a problem with bic lighters.

I EDC one and it lasts 6months or more (I dont smoke) without anything special to keep gas from discharging accidentally.

If accidental discharge is a concern there are cheap ways of stopping that too. (Not my pic but I do the same thing)

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I have source of ponderosa pine fat wood
I use a hand plane to make shavings. I keep these
In a 177  screw lid pellet can .
They burn fiercely .  I glued a ferro rod to a piece of fat wood and put
Orange lanyard on it so I would always have tender. All I need is a sharp knife
To scrape shavings off.
They will be stocking stuffers this Christmas
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#43]

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.bwm42PTBOab3pRp0xCFG4gHaHa?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

ROCK6
View Quote

I have been eyeballing them for a bit, but they are pricey, and I am not so sure I would end up pocket carrying it as I don't like bulky items.  I even find a regular zippo a bit bulky once I add my other gear.  I use a Bic in the Exotac case as a backup in my pack only.  I usually put a regular lighter in my pocket or sometimes move it to the hip belt pocket when covering miles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 5:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kskvetski] [#44]
There is a market for a zippo type case with a simple flip latch and a waterproof o ring seal. The biggest problem with a zippo is evaporation. The biggest positive is it does not require any temperature range to operate perfectly. The biggest problems with the exotac Titan and the peanut XL lighters is they require fine motor skills, two hands to unscrew the cap. There is absolutely no reason other than demand why there isn’t a clasp type zippo case flip lid with a one handed operation and an O ring. It would essentially be a perfect zippo and function easier than an Exotac Titan. While we’re at it you could make it rubber coated or a special delrin polymer body to make it conduct little heat or cold to the case when you hold it. Why this hasn’t been made is beyond me

A design like this style for a zippo case, it would be so easy to make

Attachment Attached File

Edit, here is a design of what I am talking about that is already out there. This is a perfect lighter in my mind. Here is why:

Not temperature dependent at all
No fine motor skills needed
It’s big and easy to hold onto of you have extremely cold hands
Does NOT conduct cold to your hand
The fuel is cheap and abundant
Fuel doesn’t evaporate

* I’m gonna order one and test it to see how it holds fluid

Attachment Attached File

And when you abso-fucking-lutely positively need 2000% chance of a fire….well….there are these bad boys. A thermite wand that is match activated:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 9:55:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#45]
Originally Posted By Kskvetski:
There is a market for a zippo type case with a simple flip latch and a waterproof o ring seal. The biggest problem with a zippo is evaporation. The biggest positive is it does not require any temperature range to operate perfectly. The biggest problems with the exotac Titan and the peanut XL lighters is they require fine motor skills, two hands to unscrew the cap. There is absolutely no reason other than demand why there isn't a clasp type zippo case flip lid with a one handed operation and an O ring. It would essentially be a perfect zippo and function easier than an Exotac Titan. While we're at it you could make it rubber coated or a special delrin polymer body to make it conduct little heat or cold to the case when you hold it. Why this hasn't been made is beyond me

A design like this style for a zippo case, it would be so easy to make

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/253058/20629946-F164-4723-8FCB-3ABBA9316D35_jpe-2617043.JPG

Edit, here is a design of what I am talking about that is already out there. This is a perfect lighter in my mind. Here is why:

Not temperature dependent at all
No fine motor skills needed
It's big and easy to hold onto of you have extremely cold hands
Does NOT conduct cold to your hand
The fuel is cheap and abundant
Fuel doesn't evaporate

* I'm gonna order one and test it to see how it holds fluid

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/253058/C165839F-0F5F-426C-A3C6-88517BC30D79_jpe-2617050.JPG

And when you abso-fucking-lutely positively need 2000% chance of a fire .well .there are these bad boys. A thermite wand that is match activated:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/253058/CA758FEC-F4C8-487A-A283-53D2F0D5C44B_jpe-2617428.JPG
View Quote
The Thyrm Pyrovault 2.0 seems to have a much wider range of options for insert lighters (vice original case), and a redesigned clasp for easier one-handed ignition of the lighter insert.  Just ordered one for the spare Zippo insert I have lying around.   Having a liquid-fueled Zippo which is resistant to stinking and fuel evaporation might be useful, IMHO.  Will report after some use.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#46]
A mini-Bic rides in my pocket every day (I don't smoke) and every pack has a full sized Bic and usually a mini as well and some storm matches and a ferro rod along with some tinder.  I still have some more expensive lighters including a Brunton Helios, several Zippos including with the butane insert, etc and don't find any of them to work any better than the cheaper, lighter weight Bics- and I can get the Bics in obnoxious colors in case I drop them.  The little screwdriver bit on a Leatherman is about perfect for popping that stupid child safety strap thing off and a loop or paracord, electrician's tape, whatever under the button will keep it from being accidentally depressed.  

I have a Djeep somewhere in the truck, probably under the seat, and they work fine as well but they're more expensive than the Bics.  If you can't find one at your local stop and rob hit up the smoke/vape shops, that's where I got mine after reading about them here or one of the hiking forums.

I keep full sized road flares in the truck and a mini "firestarter" version in each pfd along with one in my main backpack.  The small ones can be hard to find though.  Example: https://www.orionsignals.com/project/signal-flare-fire-starter-2-pk/
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
A mini-Bic rides in my pocket every day (I don't smoke) and every pack has a full sized Bic and usually a mini as well and some storm matches and a ferro rod along with some tinder.
View Quote

Same. I really haven’t any Bic failures other than running out of fuel. I did find one that I’m not sure how long it was exposed for and while it had fuel, the flint had corroded to dust. Ironically, I could still depress the button for fuel and ignite with my Bic. They’re pretty robust.

I normally keep two Bics in my packs. One with a dedicated fire kit and one in my cooking kit. I backpack with a Mini-Bics and I also carry one daily.

For just about any outdoor activity, I’ll stick to my P.A.C.E. system for fire (to include tinder and accelerants). Ironically my primary isn’t always a lighter, it’s mostly my Firesteel as it forces me to really concentrate on tinder, fire prep, and shielding my fire from the weather conditions. That said, when tired, wet, hungry, cold, and miserable, I’ll likely use a Bic or matches and if really bad, it’ll be the flare:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Same. I really haven’t any Bic failures other than running out of fuel. I did find one that I’m not sure how long it was exposed for and while it had fuel, the flint had corroded to dust. Ironically, I could still depress the button for fuel and ignite with my Bic. They’re pretty robust.

I normally keep two Bics in my packs. One with a dedicated fire kit and one in my cooking kit. I backpack with a Mini-Bics and I also carry one daily.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20220601_195308.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

For just about any outdoor activity, I’ll stick to my P.A.C.E. system for fire (to include tinder and accelerants). Ironically my primary isn’t always a lighter, it’s mostly my Firesteel as it forces me to really concentrate on tinder, fire prep, and shielding my fire from the weather conditions. That said, when tired, wet, hungry, cold, and miserable, I’ll likely use a Bic or matches and if really bad, it’ll be the flare:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/Fire_(2).jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

To date I have had exactly one Bic flint/ mini ferrocerium rod striker disintegrate with age.  Lighter was my first lighter as a young hunter several decades ago.  Just a few years ago I was testing my hunting gear and one year it wouldn't strike.  Still had fluid.  Since I double check all my lighters when packing them in my gear.  Two is one, one is none.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:43:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#49]
There are small screw-on BUTANE adaptors which will allow users to re-fill their refillable lighters from typical camping stove fuel cannisters.  These Camping stove fuel cannisters usually have a small threaded "Lindal" type fuel output.

Search amazon for "SOTO Fill Adapter for Butane Gas".  User will need a separate adaptor in conjunction with aforementioned adaptor to use common cylindrical 8-oz Butane fuel bottles used in some non-camping Butane stoves.  Search amazon for "Camp Gas Converter for Butane Canister to Screw Gas Cartridge/Lindal Type Valve Adapter".

The first adaptor might be useful in order to "drain" partial Butane camping fuel cannisters for cig lighter use.  Might also allow use of cheaper straight Butane in warm temps.  I would NOT refill a refillable lighter intended for emergency use with straight butane, but for everyday lighters in warm temps, might be useful.

Second adaptor (in conjunction with first adaptor) useful might allow using cheap 8 Oz Butane fuel bottles either as lighter fuel, or for running camp stoves.  These Butane bottles have a different type of fuel output connector than the Camping cannisters, hence the adaptor.

Note that the Butane camping fuel cannisters are usually "IsoButane" which is formulated for use in cold temps.  Straight Butane, such as found in 8 Oz fuel cylinders will vaporize down to about 33 deg F.   IsoButane (Camping stove fuel cannisters) will vaporize down to 11 deg F.  Propane will vaporize at temps down to -40 deg F.

There are other adaptors that will adapt common 1# propane bottles to the Lindal style of threaded outlet found on most camping stoves and suitable for the first-mentioned adaptor.  This might allow filling re-fillable lighters with Propane (although there are pressure/safety concerns), and/or running common camping stoves on Propane--if the stove's jetting will allow it.  Search Amazon for "Propane to Butane Adapter Propane Adapter Camping Stove Adapter Gas Adapter Converter 1Lb Outdoor Propane Small Tank Input EN417 Lindal Valve Output"

Discussion of Various Gaseous Fuels   This is an exceptionally useful article.

Disclaimer:  I have not yet tried out any of the adaptors mentioned above, but will report back, most likely in a separate thread.  The adaptors I mentioned above are on their way to me.  

Use due caution when running devices with Propane, as it is usually under higher pressure than is Butane.  Be SAFE!
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:01:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#50]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
A mini-Bic rides in my pocket every day (I don't smoke) and every pack has a full sized Bic and usually a mini as well and some storm matches and a ferro rod along with some tinder.  I still have some more expensive lighters including a Brunton Helios, several Zippos including with the butane insert, etc and don't find any of them to work any better than the cheaper, lighter weight Bics- and I can get the Bics in obnoxious colors in case I drop them.  The little screwdriver bit on a Leatherman is about perfect for popping that stupid child safety strap thing off and a loop or paracord, electrician's tape, whatever under the button will keep it from being accidentally depressed.  

I have a Djeep somewhere in the truck, probably under the seat, and they work fine as well but they're more expensive than the Bics.  If you can't find one at your local stop and rob hit up the smoke/vape shops, that's where I got mine after reading about them here or one of the hiking forums.

I keep full sized road flares in the truck and a mini "firestarter" version in each pfd along with one in my main backpack.  The small ones can be hard to find though.  Example: https://www.orionsignals.com/project/signal-flare-fire-starter-2-pk/
View Quote
Unfortunately, the Brunton Helios lighter does not seem to be in production, and uncommon even as a "used" item on ebay
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Best lighter? (Page 1 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top