Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2020 3:52:26 PM EDT
I'm looking for an all around pair of boots, preferably all leather and made in America. I want to something I can do the following in; hike, reload, oil changes, walk the dogs, drive around town, ect...Please make some suggestions. I don't need a safety toe, however, a toe weather its steel or composite wouldn't be too shabby if they are comfortable. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Danner. Select the ones made in USA
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Danner. Select the ones made in USA
View Quote

This^^
After the first week of break-in, the most comfortable boots I've owned.
I got the Bull Run moc toe.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This^^
After the first week of break-in, the most comfortable boots I've owned.
I got the Bull Run moc toe.
View Quote

I've seen the Danner Boots, and I've also considered the Moc Toe Red Wing boots, both have good reviews. Have you personally ever tried the Red Wing Moc Toe's for comparison?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've seen the Danner Boots, and I've also considered the Moc Toe Red Wing boots, both have good reviews. Have you personally ever tried the Red Wing Moc Toe's for comparison?
View Quote

IMHO, All Redwing products are crap now. Their Made In USA products have so much imported stuff in them that they aren't what they used to be. And my whole family is "lifelong" Redwing users. We used to swear by them and 10 years ago I would have challenged anyone to find a better boot. They just don't hold up anymore. I could get 3-4 years of everyday use on the farm, now I'm lucky to get 2-3 years light duty use (I have a desk job now).

ETA, and that is ALWAYS the USA models. We only made the mistake of buying the imported boots once; 6 months hard use and they were falling apart.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm looking for an all around pair of boots, preferably all leather and made in America. I want to something I can do the following in; hike, reload, oil changes, walk the dogs, drive around town, ect...Please make some suggestions. I don't need a safety toe, however, a toe weather its steel or composite wouldn't be too shabby if they are comfortable. Thanks.
View Quote

Insulated, waterproof, all leather?

I wear the crap out of boots.if you are super hard on boots, get redwings or thorogoods..
If you want comfortable boots, get danner.

Im a trucker.  I am hard on boots.  I am constantly at construction sites, gas wells, landfills, farms.  Im in mud and water, on gravel and concrete and metal grate steps/ catwalks.

these boots are Danner Combat Hikers, all USA made. they are discontinued, but the new model is called Crater Rim and are almost exactly the same.  I bought these probably 8 -10 years ago and wear them hiking, to the range and general use, but not hard use.  These were .mil contract boots and were made by Bates too.  The Bates version is available on Amazon in limited sizes.  here  I think this is your best bet.

these are Danner Quarry.  They are my winter trucking boots.  I just had these recrafted after 1 season.  IMHO the soles are not durable, but they boots are super comfy. They feature 400 grams thinsulate, waterproof, no steel toe.  They are  made here with some imported materials.

These are Danner Acadia.  USA made.  400 grams thinsulate, waterproof, no steel toe.  I wore these for 8 years of hunting/hiking/operating skidsteer/shoveling snow, etc and the soles were in great shape, so I wore them for 1 year of trucking and now the soles are junk in the ball of the foot area.  These are awesome boots.... by far my favorite.

These are Red Wing 4200 series, USA made with some imported materials.  No insulation, steel toe, electrical hazard resistant.
These boots wear like iron.  They are not the most comfy boots, but thats to be expected.. they are thick leather.  When I wear these I feel I have the most protection of any of the boots Ive shown.  These are 2 years old. I only wear them in the late spring, summer and part of the fall, so about 6 months a year.  They are due to be recrafted. the soles are hammered.  It took a good 4 weeks to break these in wearing the for half days at a time.

ETA, I have a pair of USA made Bates R.A.T.  boots too.  They are not waterproof and really comfortable... think hot weather boots. I wear in the summer only and not to work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my Carolinas. Most comfortable boot I’ve ever had.

I’ve heard good things about Thorogood, too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve had great luck with Belleville .
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a pair of Thorogoods from Here with 20% off with VET20.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Danner and thorogood for me.

I've completely abused my thorogoods. Still holding up great and feel like I'm wearing shoes.

Danners are still new, not broke in. They're comfortable and look great.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Danner
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]
What about Nicks boot?
Nicks
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Whites, find a good dealer and have them measure you properly.
A heluva lot of money up front, but more economical in the long run.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#13]
If you have reasonably healthy feet, and want a legit pair of around boots, get something that is goodyear welted, and made with a leather (non-removable) insole.  A boot with the construction like a Wolverine 1000 mile, or a RedWing Iron Ranger will be uncomfortable until you break them in, but will act like an extension of your own body once it has molded to your shape.  Resist the urge to buy a boot too large.  You want it tight enough that your foot can stretch and break in the leather.  Once you pay your dues, your feet will love them.  

For heavy duty boots, Whites, Nicks, Wesco boots are the best money can buy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Insulated, waterproof, all leather?

I wear the crap out of boots.if you are super hard on boots, get redwings or thorogoods..
If you want comfortable boots, get danner.

Im a trucker.  I am hard on boots.  I am constantly at construction sites, gas wells, landfills, farms.  Im in mud and water, on gravel and concrete and metal grate steps/ catwalks.

these boots are Danner Combat Hikers, all USA made. they are discontinued, but the new model is called Crater Rim and are almost exactly the same.  I bought these probably 8 -10 years ago and wear them hiking, to the range and general use, but not hard use.  These were .mil contract boots and were made by Bates too.  The Bates version is available on Amazon in limited sizes.  here  I think this is your best bet.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20201119_191220-1692051.jpg

these are Danner Quarry.  They are my winter trucking boots.  I just had these recrafted after 1 season.  IMHO the soles are not durable, but they boots are super comfy. They feature 400 grams thinsulate, waterproof, no steel toe.  They are  made here with some imported materials.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20201119_191318-1692052.jpg

These are Danner Acadia.  USA made.  400 grams thinsulate, waterproof, no steel toe.  I wore these for 8 years of hunting/hiking/operating skidsteer/shoveling snow, etc and the soles were in great shape, so I wore them for 1 year of trucking and now the soles are junk in the ball of the foot area.  These are awesome boots.... by far my favorite.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20201119_191039-1692059.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20201119_191126-1692060.jpg

These are Red Wing 4200 series, USA made with some imported materials.  No insulation, steel toe, electrical hazard resistant.
These boots wear like iron.  They are not the most comfy boots, but thats to be expected.. they are thick leather.  When I wear these I feel I have the most protection of any of the boots Ive shown.  These are 2 years old. I only wear them in the late spring, summer and part of the fall, so about 6 months a year.  They are due to be recrafted. the soles are hammered.  It took a good 4 weeks to break these in wearing the for half days at a time.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20201119_190956-1692071.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20201119_191009-1692072.jpg

ETA, I have a pair of USA made Bates R.A.T.  boots too.  They are not waterproof and really comfortable... think hot weather boots. I wear in the summer only and not to work.
View Quote

Dam my man, you sir have some boots that have truly seen better days! That is defiantly a good thing, and a compliment . I have yet to own 1 nice pair, never had a hands on style job, lots of engineering consulting behind a desk. I landed a job that demands boots and I’m excited.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you have reasonably healthy feet, and want a legit pair of around boots, get something that is goodyear welted, and made with a leather (non-removable) insole.  A boot with the construction like a Wolverine 1000 mile, or a RedWing Iron Ranger will be uncomfortable until you break them in, but will act like an extension of your own body once it has molded to your shape.  Resist the urge to buy a boot too large.  You want it tight enough that your foot can stretch and break in the leather.  Once you pay your dues, your feet will love them.  

View Quote

Point noted, I’ve heard that redwings are about 1 size smaller than your regular sizing. I like the moc toe, lots of other companies have similar styling. I can’t decide between the danner moc toe and the red wing. Both have fantastic reviews and are priced about the same. Maybe a coin flip?
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Point noted, I've heard that redwings are about 1 size smaller than your regular sizing. I like the moc toe, lots of other companies have similar styling. I can't decide between the danner moc toe and the red wing. Both have fantastic reviews and are priced about the same. Maybe a coin flip?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Point noted, I've heard that redwings are about 1 size smaller than your regular sizing. I like the moc toe, lots of other companies have similar styling. I can't decide between the danner moc toe and the red wing. Both have fantastic reviews and are priced about the same. Maybe a coin flip?

you have good taste.  

I bought my redwings in a store that properly sized my foot and recommended a size.  The sales guy said I needed a 10.5 regular width with a bunion stretch that he could do in the store.... but I didnt believe him and got a x-wide... after the lengthy break in period, my $300 boots are a tad too big.

If you can, get fitted and buy in a store.

All my Danner boots I got online and they are fine, except one pair that is a little to wide, but still ok.  I favor Danner for comfort, have the experience to prove it too.
I have 2 more pairs of boots, still in the box.  1 Danner Acadia and 1 Bates Combat hikers I got from that Amazon link.  I buy ahead when I see a good price.

If you can try on the boots, that will be your best bet and I would go with that model, even if you buy online... but IMHO Danner will fit your needs in terms of comfort and you will  be wearing either brand for a long time based on your intended uses.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

heres another pic for your viewing pleasure

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

you have good taste.  

I bought my redwings in a store that properly sized my foot and recommended a size.  The sales guy said I needed a 10.5 regular width with a bunion stretch that he could do in the store.... but I didnt believe him and got a x-wide... after the lengthy break in period, my $300 boots are a tad too big.

All my Danner boots I got online and they are fine, except one pair that is a little to wide, but still ok.  I favor Danner for comfort, have the experience to prove it too.
I have 2 more pairs of boots, still in the box.  1 Danner Acadia and 1 Bates Combat hikers I got from that Amazon link.  I buy ahead when I see a good price.

If you can try on the boots, that will be your best bet and I would go with that model, even if you buy online... but IMHO Danner will fit your needs in terms of comfort and you will  be wearing either brand for a long time based on your intended uses.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20201113_120906-1682585.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you have good taste.  

You need to get sized.  I wear a 9.5 in the 1000 mile, 9.5 in Iron Rangers, 10.5 in RR Moc toe, and 10.5 in a Nike.  RR lower end boots like the 2406 I wear a 10.5.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You need to get sized.  I wear a 9.5 in the 1000 mile, 9.5 in Iron Rangers, 10.5 in RR Moc toe, and 10.5 in a Nike.  RR lower end boots like the 2406 I wear a 10.5.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you have good taste.  

I agree, you should expect superior service and exact fit with good boots. I plan on keeping good boots and having them re-crafted several times over a period of 3-7 years at least.  Poor fit is not acceptable over that period of time, and not wearing a poor fitting boot, that I paid $200-300 for is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Redwing iron rangers
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Point noted, I’ve heard that redwings are about 1 size smaller than your regular sizing. I like the moc toe, lots of other companies have similar styling. I can’t decide between the danner moc toe and the red wing. Both have fantastic reviews and are priced about the same. Maybe a coin flip?
View Quote

This is true. I wear 14EE in Carolina and Thorogood, but 13 wide in Red Wings.

I was relieved that they do make them in men’s sizes.

@VacaDuck
@Subnet

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was relieved that they do make them in men's sizes.

@VacaDuck
@Subnet

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was relieved that they do make them in men's sizes.

@VacaDuck
@Subnet

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/102931/574C0433-3585-403E-98F7-EB81EF462AF1-932632.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51536/B0B8866B-A49B-4C09-A25F-2A24DC90BA82-1664126.jpg

Meanwhile, wearing Carolinas...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#25]
My next pair of Red Wings will be that color.

Have $420 for RW coming from work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Most of the moc toe boots have the same shitty "Christy" sole on them. They don't last if you're walking on rough textured surfaces, barely any tread depth when they're new.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just bought a pair of Thorogoods from Here with 20% off with VET20.
View Quote
Thanks for that link, I am going to get a pair of these...

awesome awesome prices
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Some more boot porn...   These are three years old.  Not every day use, but every weekend, and some days in between.   Vibram mini lug, about 25% left.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Not all the best boots are American made.  The Italians and Germans know how to make some damn good boots.

I enjoy the following brands:

Danner
Meindl
Kenetrek
Ariat

I prefer a hiking style boot to a work boot when on your feet a lot or covering multiple woods miles a day.

I have a few boots in Rocky, Bates etc but they don't hold up.  If ya go Danner don't go low end, the old saying they don't make em like they used to holds true.

Remember one thing with boots, one size does NOT fit all
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuck danner, their boots have gone to shit.

Whites or Hoffman’s. They are built better and will outlast danners.

Have never worn nicks but they are hand built in Spokane like whites.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

What do you recommend for hiking/ backpacking or hunting boots (as in high altitude/ long distance heavy miles) if Danner is shit?

From what I know about whites it looks like they just stepped into the hiking/ hunting sector with European manufacturing...  I would love to try a pair but they seem pretty new to the game.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I still wear red wings to work daily, love them. I do want a pair of Danners for home fun though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What do you recommend for hiking/ backpacking or hunting boots (as in high altitude/ long distance heavy miles) if Danner is shit?

From what I know about whites it looks like they just stepped into the hiking/ hunting sector with European manufacturing...  I would love to try a pair but they seem pretty new to the game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Schnees or Hoffman’s. They are both European made.

Danner hikers are ok. Danner has just started making tons of yuppie hipster boots and has cut back on their line of made in America work boots. They also are not the quality they once were even though they still charge a more then premium price.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Danner hikers are ok. Danner has just started making tons of yuppie hipster boots and has cut back on their line of made in America work boots. They also are not the quality they once were even though they still charge a more then premium price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree Danner has been declining over the past several years.  Their regular models are not what they once were, and their USA stuff is pretty pricey.  I have no idea what my next pair of hunting boots will be, probably https://kenetrek.com/
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I don’t know anyone who buys the high end Danners anymore.  Paying close to $400 for a boot with a synthetic, removable insole is nuts.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yea I don't know anyone who buys the high end Danners anymore.  Paying close to $400 for a boot with a synthetic, removable insole is nuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whites or Hoffman's. They are built better and will outlast danners.

Schnees or Hoffman's. They are both European made.

Yea I don't know anyone who buys the high end Danners anymore.  Paying close to $400 for a boot with a synthetic, removable insole is nuts.
I do.  I want to take the insole out and put in my own type.

Those Acadias in the above pic are over $300
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I own 2 pair of lace up leather boots, made in the US.

Chippewas M1928s

Red Wing Iron Rangers

Of the two, the Chips broke in faster and are more comfortable. The Iron Rangers have a better welt for actual outdoors use. I'd recommend both be used with good insoles and socks.

Wolverine 1000 mile boots get a mention also as being as good as the above. But I have no experience.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Redwing Pecos for summer. I’ve used Danner for winter boots but I’m looking to change. They just don’t hold up like they used to.

More boot porn:
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yea I don’t know anyone who buys the high end Danners anymore.  Paying close to $400 for a boot with a synthetic, removable insole is nuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have lots of sales

They just sent out 25% off codes

I think my daners, all USA stichdown, average under $200 a pair, and I have 6 pairs. I got a pair of RATs in the last sale for $150. It’s way more than $150 of boot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I do.  I want to take the insole out and put in my own type.

Those Acadias in the above pic are over $300
View Quote

Never owned a pair of Acadias, but Have handled them and worked around them.  They’re big, tough and heavy (puts them in a weight class of Whites, Wesco and Nicks).  I’m glad you like them.  The synthetic midsole and insole would be a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I need to dig my old Ft Lewis’ out of storage.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

For hunting, I have Lathrop & Sons. They are tier 1, but take several months to get and total cost was about $1100 IRRC.

https://lathropandsons.com/
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51536/B0B8866B-A49B-4C09-A25F-2A24DC90BA82-1664126.jpg

Worn daily for the last year. I do not baby them in use, but I do clean them after getting them caked in mud and dirt, as soon as I get home. I also condition them regularly.

View Quote

Guess we know how you voted in the shoes on or off indoors thread.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Working industrial construction I've found 2 boots that just last and hold up well.

The thoroughgoods 9inch wedge, and redwing wingshooters 8inch wedge.

They look similar with color being the main difference

Redwing are a reddish brown
Thoroughgoods a yellow brown

The Redwing are thicker and water proof out the box.

Thoroughgoods are thinner leather but lighter be no water proof unless you buy that version which has a neoprene liner.

I typically get 6-9months out if a set of either. I have a bad habit of kicking thinks to make them move, I also work in water/rain alot.

Both have soft soles/tread and thats what wears fastest, especially on concrete and steel grating.

I can wear slip on anymore, they kill my ankles. The redwing made in China line has a 6month warranty for a reason. Thats all they will last if you are lucky.

Both of the boots above are usa made and can be resolved of the tread wears before the upper. I've yet to be able to do that since I always expose the steel toe in mine before then
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks to everyone for all the recommendations! I'm sure this thread helped more than just I. The compiled list below is everyone's recommended brands. I'm still deciding on the pair, you guys recommended so many I'm lost in this boot world.

The List:

Danner
Redwing
Carolinas
Belleville
Thorogoods
Nicks boot
Meindl
Kenetrek
Ariat
Whites
Hoffman’s
Schnees
Lathrop & Sons
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#47]
I’m tempted to pick up a pair of the lathrop and sons. Have been wanting a pair of hikers like that but made in America. Have been looking at the European offerings pretty hard.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
redwing wingshooters 8inch wedge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
redwing wingshooters 8inch wedge.

Can you please clarify? "Wingshooter" is a model of Irish Setter boot, not Redwing.

Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for all the recommendations! I'm sure this thread helped more than just I.

Yes, it's very helpful to me! My decision is further complicated by the fact that my employer pays for 1 pair of safety toe shoes/boots a year up to $200. So it's hard for me to break over that $200 mark bc then I have to pay out of pocket. Whereas, if I can get cheaper boots to past at least a year I don't pay anything.

Quoted:
I'm still deciding on the pair, you guys recommended so many I'm lost in this boot world.

I'm lost too!
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#50]
It took me two months to decide which boots I wanted last time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top