Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2018 7:21:47 PM EDT
Poncho liners are very thin, I don't see how there could be much warmth in them. I understand that anything is better than nothing, so how would a person best employ one if trying to sleep or just stay warmer? I know a shield against air currents would be absolutely required to help it work.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The science of the woobie is unknown to mortal man. But I can tell you that it will keep you warmer in the chilly evenings.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have to ask...
Anyway, I always look at as more of a Cloak of Protection, +1 offers protection against physical and magical attacks by giving +1 bonuses to armor class and all saving throws.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It's warmer than you'd think!

I rigged mine up as a hammock underquilt and it works really nice down into the upper 30s.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
the Woobie is not just a blanket, its a state of mind
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have to ask...
Anyway, I always look at as more of a Cloak of Protection, +1 offers protection against physical and magical attacks by giving +1 bonuses to armor class and all saving throws.  
View Quote
That is a direct fucking quote from the care and use label. Most get torn off immediately after issue which is why it isn't on your surplus woobie.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Poncho liners are very thin, I don't see how there could be much warmth in them. I understand that anything is better than nothing, so how would a person best employ one if trying to sleep or just stay warmer? I know a shield against air currents would be absolutely required to help it work.
View Quote
There is a shield against air currents, it's called a poncho, that the liner lines.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
What is this blasphemy?  The woobie is one of God's gifts to mankind.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not only is there warmth in a woobie, there is love
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
So ponch liners are amazing, especially if you don’t have any other thermal protection.

I recently invested in a Kifaru Woobie and I’ve slept comfortably on a cot in the freezing range with nothing but it. Can’t imagine what the doobie would get you down to
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The are made with the cheapest polyfiberfill and it's sewn through, to be the winning lowest bidder.
If you really wanted to make a nice one, you would use a bonded fiberfill like Polarguard, and not have to sew it in place.

And you could add a zipper, and make it thicker. But then you would have a real sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have to ask then you don’t desearve one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My poncho liner (calling it a woobie makes you sound like a Marine in a gay leather bar) is good to about -15 or so.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Cold weather Infantry says, good to go into the negative 20s , coupled with a summer issue bag. Much less weight to carry than the Arctic bag. This,  and eat before you sleep and don't wear too much in the bag. You will be warm all night.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Such a sensitive subject. Interesting.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:12:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you have to ask...
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Bro.

Seriously?

The woobie is epic. I have tons of them and the kiddos prefer them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it's mostly mental, but it does make "being miserable anyway" a little more comfortable.

A poncho liner combined with a poncho or a bivy bag does make a pretty big difference though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#18]
There are better options available these days.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I spent five years in the Marines so I call them woobies.   Woobie’s are amazing.    Some if it might be mental but not all of it.

My daughter commented that my Woobie was much warmer than expected when she used it one day after she got chilled from being out in the cold.

My son has his own and he talks favorably of it.

I met my new neighbors when their vehicle left them stranded at their bug out location one weekend.   The man was trying to keep his Significant Other comfortable at the camp fire with a tarp rigged as a wind break.    I loaned him the woobie and when he gave it back he commented that it was much warmer than he thought and it helped keep the SO happy while they waited for family to drive up to recover the vehicle.

It has come out a number of times to assist with family that didn’t dress for the weather at different outings.   I can think of at least six times in the last year that I have loaned one of them out.    The last time was this last weekend at a graduation party.   My nephew wasn’t feeling well so his parents arranged a spot for him to sack out.   They texted a pic of him sleeping soundly curled up with the woobie.

I keep a few around and I every time that I use them I am thankful that I have them.   In the car they are kept in stuff sack to help keep them clean and ready to use.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#20]
This Matt Best video comes to mind...
Woobie - More Than A "Blanket"
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not the be-all-end-all of foul weather gear, but for its size it's pretty damned good.  Durable, inexpensive, effective. Can handle wetness, and if you tear it up too badly you throw it in the trash and get another with no guilt.

I talked a lot of trash about them, until someone actually gave me one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#22]
The woobie has a zipper now... pure sex. Don't buy just one. You need one you can actually use and one to jerk off in.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The woobie has a zipper now... pure sex. Don't buy just one. You need one you can actually use and one to jerk off in.
View Quote
DWR treat it and the spunk just rolls off.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a couple poncho liners. They're not much for warmth. My Snugpack Jungle Bag is what I actually take into the field. Packs to the same size, windproof, warmer, has a zipper, and has an integrated bug net.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:58:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I know i have frozen my ass off using one more than once. I just try to sleep in the day as a strategy, move at night, that way im generating heat at the coldest part of the day/night.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Probably the best piece of gear the U.S. military ever issued.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I always used mine as a woobie taco, put poncho around it with woobie inside. Worked EASILY to 40 above.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#28]
My man blankie. The wife doesn't understand.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Point me to a reputable provisioner, kind sirs??
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:08:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Woobies are amazing, it’s like they were made out of love because there’s some magic in them that will keep you warm.

You may want to also look at field jacket liners as an alternative, but not as multipurpose.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Point me to a reputable provisioner, kind sirs??
View Quote
The standard poncho liner is available nearly anywhere.   I picked up most of mine back before I left the service.  The last one that I bought was off amazon but that was before they started in with their counterfeit issues.  I do not have any experience with the newer, zippered ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Military-Weather-Poncho-Blanket/dp/B001L0VX2W

I would recommend "new" with the milsurp liners but as well as they hold up, even used ones should be in pretty good shape.   I know that my issued liner was used constantly and it was still in really good shape when I turned it in.   I seriously thought about keeping it and adding it my collection but they would have charged me for a new one.   for that price I might as well buy another new one.

I also have a couple made by Snugpak.   The Snugpak liners are slightly smaller, a little warmer, comes with a stuff sack, and are water restistant on one side.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Snugpak-Insulated-Poncho-Liner--18218

It is a bit harder to "Taco" the snugpak for sleeping but for curling up in a chair or as a blanket it works fine.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Somebody is making one stuffed with the shit happy suits are made of... one of the various tactical companies forget who.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Try wrapping a military man around you first, then layering the woobie on top.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Try wrapping a military man around you first, then layering the woobie on top.
View Quote
BTDT.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

BTDT.
View Quote
Betcha I had more fun than you did.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#36]
The Snugpak Jungle Blanket is much warmer than a USGI poncho liner and one side is wind/water resistant.

But the ne plus ultra of improved poncho liners is the Hill People Gear Mountain Serape. Quilt, 1/3rd zip sleeping bag, insulated poncho, greatcoat. Incredible piece of gear.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#37]
FPNI
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Seem pretty expensive for what it does. Guess you have to use it to appreciate the value.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Seem pretty expensive for what it does. Guess you have to use it to appreciate the value.
View Quote
Yep.   Pretty much everyone that I ever handed one to commented later on how warm it was.   I theorize that indicates that it was warmer than they expected.

It would be interesting to see how many people bought additional woobie's/poncho liners after purchasing their first.   I did.   I now own four, maybe three.  I still haven't gotten the one back that I loaned to the sister (for the nephew) a couple of weeks ago.   I may have unwillingly donated it to the cause.    I have purchased five total.   I gave one away as a Christmas present.   Money well spent.   If I don't get the loaner back then I will replace it.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#40]
While you can buy better, the issued ones have magical powers!

Good training for being a homeless veteran later in life!
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get a Kifaru Woobie.  That shit's hot.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#42]
it is the best thing that human kind has ever made.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Insha'allah!
You don't have to turn in your woobie to CIF to clear!
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Woobie + smoking jacket = comfortable nights sleep
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I've been using the Wilderness Survival "Onsi Cloak" which his much like the HPG Mountain Serape.  I keep my little tin can room freezing, and it's my only sleeping insulation.  I do like the versatility of it being a true poncho liner, worn like a coat, can be used as an open quilt or a sleeping bag.  It can even be used as a hammock under-quilt.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a couple poncho liners. They're not much for warmth. My Snugpack Jungle Bag is what I actually take into the field. Packs to the same size, windproof, warmer, has a zipper, and has an integrated bug net.
View Quote
This is what I went with as a woobie upgrade.
I was going to go with one of the high end versions in multicam but went with this.
But yeah, woobies are awesome for what they are.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Do they get worn out and not insulate as well after they get old? I have one I tried to sleep in the mid  30s and I actually thought if it was colder I would die.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do they get worn out and not insulate as well after they get old? I have one I tried to sleep in the mid  30s and I actually thought if it was colder I would die.
View Quote
Only if you abuse and wash the hell out of them. The stitching will fail and all the insulation will shift, but it takes a lot of fucktardery to get to that point.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've been using the Wilderness Survival "Onsi Cloak" which his much like the HPG Mountain Serape.  I keep my little tin can room freezing, and it's my only sleeping insulation.  I do like the versatility of it being a true poncho liner, worn like a coat, can be used as an open quilt or a sleeping bag.  It can even be used as a hammock under-quilt.

ROCK6
View Quote
@ROCK6.

I've been considering getting an Osni cloak with a blaze orange exterior for deer hunting, since HPG doesn't offer the Mountain Serape in blaze or blaze camo. How would you rate the Osni against the HPG MS for warmth and workmanship?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are like a fine wine, they get better with age
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top