Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 6:38:53 AM EDT
I have some reward certificates I will eventually need to redeem at Dick’s Sporting Goods.  For purpose of evaluating purchase at Dick’s vs. elsewhere, take into account all Dick’s purchases will be ~$0 out the door.  First on the list would be cast iron skillet(s).  Should I stick with Griswold/Wagner and use the certificates on other stuff, or are any of the following Dick’s offerings acceptable?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2277756&f=PAD%2FType%3A+Cookware%2FSkillets&fbc=1&fbn=Type%3A+Cookware%7CSkillets

Other potential cooking purchases contemplated are campfire-type percolators; Dutch ovens; and Coleman, tabletop-style, foldable, propane stoves.  Feel free to make any suggestions on any of the mentioned items, or other camping/long term prep cooking hardware items.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a coleman table top....and love it for ease of use.......the lumberjack skillet is good for cooking for a lot of people......used one to fry potatos in at a BSA campout.

We've gotten our kids into the silicon bowls and such.....easy to clean....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:46:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't buy or use Chinese cast iron if it was given to me.  Stick with Lodge (for new) or Wagner or Griswald (for old).

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy or use Chinese cast iron if it was given to me.  Stick with Lodge (for new) or Wagner or Griswald (for old).

Good luck.

Merlin

Besides "being made in China", what specifically do you not like about that cast iron?  Too porous or uneven?  Dick's does have Lodge cast iron available online at least.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

Merlin

Besides "being made in China", what specifically do you not like about that cast iron?  Too porous or uneven?  Dick's does have Lodge cast iron available online at least.

Was always told that the chinese cast iron was sub-standard and had things in it that could make you sick.  Google it, you will get lots of info/crazy tales.

Figured why take the chance, I use US only cast iron.

-V

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Merlin

Quality, every piece of chinese cast iron I've seen has had extremely poor fit and finish.   With so many good economical choices from Lodge, why bother with Chinese crap?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone for the info.  I priced some stuff out yesterday in the local store.  Will try to wait for some type of sale or coupon, and then start picking some stuff up.

Quoted:
Not exactly on your list, but at this moment, a lot of Dick's stores are selling Nalgene/Guyot 32 oz stainless steel waterbottles for about $10 per, which is quite a bargain.

I found them at ~$10.  What do you like about them?  What is their application?  I have just regular Nalgene bottles in my vehicle bag and fighting, rifle, grab bag.

Quoted:
Quality, every piece of chinese cast iron I've seen has had extremely poor fit and finish.   With so many good economical choices from Lodge, why bother with Chinese crap?

Understood.  Lodge cast iron it is.  I do not trust used cast iron of unknown history.  The local Dick’s still has quite a selection of Lodge cast iron.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the info.  I priced some stuff out yesterday in the local store.  Will try to wait for some type of sale or coupon, and then start picking some stuff up.

Quoted:
Not exactly on your list, but at this moment, a lot of Dick's stores are selling Nalgene/Guyot 32 oz stainless steel waterbottles for about $10 per, which is quite a bargain.

I found them at ~$10.  What do you like about them?  What is their application?  I have just regular Nalgene bottles in my vehicle bag and fighting, rifle, grab bag.

Quoted:

Understood.  Lodge cast iron it is.  I do not trust used cast iron of unknown history.  The local Dick’s still has quite a selection of Lodge cast iron.

Also check and see if there is a Lodge Outlet Store near you.  I get all my cast iron straight from their home store in South Pittsburgh, TN, but they have outlet stores all over.  Good deals to be had there if you have one near you or can visit one while traveling.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:...........Also check and see if there is a Lodge Outlet Store near you.  I get all my cast iron straight from their home store in South Pittsburgh, TN, but they have outlet stores all over.  Good deals to be had there if you have one near you or can visit one while traveling.

Good luck.

Merlin

The following is directly from the website.  None are anywhere near me.

Lodge has 4 factory stores located in Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia. The factory store locations are as follows:

Lodge Factory Store, South Pittsburg, TN
503 South Cedar Avenue
South Pittsburg, TN 37380
423-837-5919

Lodge Factory Store, Sevierville, TN
105 Knife Works Lane Suite 2
Sevierville, TN 37876
865-429-1713

Lodge Factory Store, Commerce, GA
165 Pottery Factory Drive
Commerce, GA 30529
706-335-4875

Lodge Factory Store Myrtle Beach
100 Legends Drive
Suite C
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
843-236-7849

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
How about a water filter?

Dick's sells the MSR one.

SMSP
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:54:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:...........Also check and see if there is a Lodge Outlet Store near you.  I get all my cast iron straight from their home store in South Pittsburgh, TN, but they have outlet stores all over.  Good deals to be had there if you have one near you or can visit one while traveling.

Good luck.

Merlin

The following is directly from the website.  None are anywhere near me.

Lodge has 4 factory stores located in Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia. The factory store locations are as follows:

Lodge Factory Store, South Pittsburg, TN
503 South Cedar Avenue
South Pittsburg, TN 37380
423-837-5919

Lodge Factory Store, Sevierville, TN
105 Knife Works Lane Suite 2
Sevierville, TN 37876
865-429-1713

Lodge Factory Store, Commerce, GA
165 Pottery Factory Drive
Commerce, GA 30529
706-335-4875

Lodge Factory Store Myrtle Beach
100 Legends Drive
Suite C
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
843-236-7849

Well, crap.  Sounds like you need to go on a road trip....  

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:58:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How about a water filter?

Dick's sells the MSR one.

SMSP

Water filtration is on my list.  Not exactly certain what unit I will get yet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top