Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/13/2010 8:34:42 PM EDT
I always read people talk about Mora knives being such a good knife for the money blah, blah, blah. But how much has anyone really put one through to say that there really worthy as a survival knife?

I just ordered a #34 from Ragweed, so I guess I'll see if you guys are right.  

Ragweedforge/Mora
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 4:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you want to pound it into a tree to test its worthiness?

I do not understand the question. Is it for cutting stuff? Or is it a pry bar? Is it an axe?

If you use it for cutting line, for skinning game, for cutting food, and other normal cutting chores, its more than tough enough. If you want to use your knife for digging a fighting position then its the wrong choice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I do not understand the question. Is it for cutting stuff? Or is it a pry bar? Is it an axe?

If you use it for cutting line, for skinning game, for cutting food, and other normal cutting chores, its more than tough enough. If you want to use your knife for digging a fighting position then its the wrong choice.

QFT.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not invest more than $33 for a survival knife?

I'm not knocking the knife,but in my experience you get what you pay for when it

comes to blades.... As a previous poster stated,if you are going ta use it for cutting rope,

food,and other light duty activities,then great...  But I wouldn't trust it for anything more....

I definitely wouldn't use it as my go to survival knife .... or my secondary.... or my......

IMO

My statements are based on previous experience with cheap knives,but NOT this one...

so YMMV .......  

Please post a follow up,as I would definitely be intrested in the outcome..  

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A survival knife should hold up over time from continous outdoor exposure for one, through wet and cold, heat and burning sun exposure. I know the steel is quality as I've had it with a Barks River knife, but the blade on these are pretty thin. I've found over time wood handles deteriorate and crack too. Cutting rope, branches, seperating meat and bone from game, cleaning fish, carving/light chopping of wood to make shelter and traps, use as a cooking and eating utensil and digging into the dirt for bugs and worms are some of the task it's should withstand. They look to be knife that would do most of this for a while but eventually get loose in the handle and break it or the blade. That where they aren't a good choice to a thicker blade that is full tang with a G10 or micarta slab sides to me if that's the case.

What I'm wondering about and the question is, is what someone has been using one for, which model and for how long?

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm not knocking the knife,but in my experience you get what you pay for when it

comes to blades.... As a previous poster stated,if you are going ta use it for cutting rope,

food,and other light duty activities,then great...  But I wouldn't trust it for anything more....

I definitely wouldn't use it as my go to survival knife .... or my secondary.... or my......

IMO

My statements are based on previous experience with cheap knives,but NOT this one...

so YMMV .......  

Stupid question, but, what do you use your knife for that a mora is not enough? I wonder how many people camp just to play grizzly adams and hack as trees with their favorite "tactical" survival knife just to say how tough it is?

I keep trying to think of things I absolutely must cut an hack when I am camping or hiking. I just can't come up with much.

In a survival situation where I don't have my gear, sure. I might want to build a shelter with sticks and leaves. Can't figure how I will not have my gear since my knife would be on it. If I have my gear, then why would I need to since my shelter is in there?

I have a saw for cutting branches that is almost silent and very fast.

In short, what will he get for more than $33 that he absolutely needs?

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A survival knife should hold up over time from continous outdoor exposure for one, through wet and cold, heat and burning sun exposure. I know the steel is quality as I've had it with a Barks River knife, but the blade on these are pretty thin. I've found over time wood handles deteriorate and crack too. Cutting rope, branches, seperating meat and bone from game, cleaning fish, carving/light chopping of wood to make shelter and traps, use as a cooking and eating utensil and digging into the dirt for bugs and worms are some of the task it's should withstand. They look to be knife that would do most of this for a while but eventually get loose in the handle and break it or the blade. That where they aren't a good choice to a thicker blade that is full tang with a G10 or micarta slab sides to me.

What I'm wondering about and the question is, is what someone has been using one for, which model and for how long?

No wonder so many uber tactical types carry sharpening equipment in their gear. I feel sorry for the edge on your blade if you dig in the dirt with it.

I have a saw for cutting branches and firewood.

I have a small U dig it shovel for digging in the dirt.

My knife stays razor sharp for cutting meat from bone, which is nothing as long as you are not cutting bone itself.
I agree that the mora is not up to snuff for what you want. I am questioning the whole necessity of abusing a knife. Mora sells versions with plastic handles. How do you stand up to wet, cold and burning sun? Any decent knife, used as a knife can withstand more than you.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO

so YMMV .......  

Stupid question, but, what do you use your knife for that a mora is not enough? I wonder how many people camp just to play grizzly adams and hack as trees with their favorite "tactical" survival knife just to say how tough it is?

I keep trying to think of things I absolutely must cut an hack when I am camping or hiking. I just can't come up with much.

In a survival situation where I don't have my gear, sure. I might want to build a shelter with sticks and leaves. Can't figure how I will not have my gear since my knife would be on it. If I have my gear, then why would I need to since my shelter is in there?

Batoning for one....

A lot of people just camp to play Grizzly Adams,and hack shit up ...lol

Some of them people actually get lost and find themselves in a real survival scenario...

A good reliable blade (preferably 2) is a valuable tool in such a situation..

The fact of knowing that my knifes are 100% reliable, justifies the purchase IMO...

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO

so YMMV .......  

Batoning for one....

Some of them people actually get lost and find themselves in a real survival scenario...

The fact of knowing that my knifes are 100% reliable, justifies the purchase IMO...

I have a neat little plastic handled lock back folder with a sub 2" blade. Its 100% reliable as long as its used as a knife.

This a great discussion and I engage in it every chance I get. Its good to question sacred cows such as this to get people to think about what they really need.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A survival knife should hold up over time from continous outdoor exposure for one, through wet and cold, heat and burning sun exposure. I know the steel is quality as I've had it with a Barks River knife, but the blade on these are pretty thin. I've found over time wood handles deteriorate and crack too. Cutting rope, branches, seperating meat and bone from game, cleaning fish, carving/light chopping of wood to make shelter and traps, use as a cooking and eating utensil and digging into the dirt for bugs and worms are some of the task it's should withstand. They look to be knife that would do most of this for a while but eventually get loose in the handle and break it or the blade. That where they aren't a good choice to a thicker blade that is full tang with a G10 or micarta slab sides to me.

No wonder so many uber tactical types carry sharpening equipment in their gear. I feel sorry for the edge on your blade if you dig in the dirt with it.

My knife stays razor sharp for cutting meat from bone, which is nothing as long as you are not cutting bone itself.

I agree that the mora is not up to snuff for what you want. I am questioning the whole necessity of abusing a knife. Mora sells versions with plastic handles. How do you stand up to wet, cold and burning sun? Any decent knife, used as a knife can withstand more than you.

You can save your concern and a lot of attitude to try and keep the discussion civil. Thanks.
That's what I've found I've needed knives for over the years spent outdoors though, and that's what a survival knife for me needs to withstand. I carry a saw also in my pack for heavier wood cutting, but I still need to be able to use my fixed blade for a fair amount of it regardless and more if I need it. I could easily loose or have the saw blade break and be left with only the other tools I've got on me. It's happened before. Choosing to carry a lesser knife would be a bad choice when I could have choosen something that would have stood up to the job better.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can save your concern and a lot of attitude to try and keep the discussion civil. Thanks.

That's what I've found I've needed knives for over the years spent outdoors though, and that's what a survival knife for me needs to withstand. I carry a saw also in my pack for heavier wood cutting, but I still want to be able to use my fixed blade for a fair amount of it regardless and more if I need it. I could easily loose or have the saw blade break and be left with only the other tools I've got on me. It's happened before. Choosing to carry a lesser knife would be a bad choice when I could have choosen something that would have stood up to the job better.

Where have I not been civil?

I just have a very, very different view of the "job" you speak of.  For me the mora is more than enough for cutting. I use better tools for the other jobs.

I carry a second saw blade. It weights almost nothing.

My queries are not designed to make you angry, but to kill sacred cows and default beliefs that I believe are erroneous, or at least misguided.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, Mora knives are excellent survival knives. This knife, plus a hatchet or hand saw will do you just fine.

Or you can spend $300 dollars on a tacticool knife because some guy in a hockey mask was able to stab it through a metal folding chair.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO

so YMMV .......  

Batoning for one....

I have a neat little plastic handled lock back folder with a sub 2" blade. Its 100% reliable as long as its used as a knife.
This a great discussion and I engage in it every chance I get. Its good to question sacred cows such as this to get people to think about what they really need.

What do you use for batoning ?  Or do you find that it (batoning) is a ridiculous concept?

surely you don't use your sub 2' blade,or your assortment of saws..
A good survival type knife should be able ta do whatever you need it ta do;digging,batoning,chopping,gutting,filleting,prying,

breaking shit,etc,etc;and still be able to retain a good edge and a handle that stays intact.
I'm not trying to argue with you,but just because you don't know what you would use it for,doesn't mean

that there are not uses that you are not aware of...
EDITED to place "survival type" in front of knife

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO

so YMMV .......  

Batoning for one....

What do you use for batoning ?  Or do you find that it (batoning) is a ridiculous concept?

surely you don't use your sub 2' blade,or your assortment of saws..
A good knife should be able ta do whatever you need it ta do;digging,batoning,chopping,gutting,filleting,prying,

breaking shit,etc,etc;and still be able to retain a good edge and a handle that stays intact.
I'm not trying to argue with you,but just because you don't know what you would use it for,doesn't mean

that there are not uses that you are not aware of...

Can you give me a circumstance where I would need to baton? I do not need to split wood for a fire. I barely even cut wood for fires. I just drag long branches over the fire and let it do the work for me. What am I pounding my blade through?
I have a small shovel that will dig just fine and not degrade my performance in other areas. No knife in existence can dig through dirt without dulling. Its just a fact. Rocks in the soil are just too hard not to affect the sharpness of a blade.
I can gut a deer or skin a rabbit or fillet a fish with my leatherman. I could get it done with my folder if necessary. Might get a little dirty!

I can break shit with a rock and pry with a stick or my small shovel.
This is a great mental exercise for people. Nothing personal or anything to get angry about. I just like to pick people's brains and get at what is necessary and what is just fluff.
You both are doing a very good job of representing your ideas in this debate.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you give me a circumstance where I would need to baton? I do not need to split wood for a fire. I barely even cut wood for fires. I just drag long branches over the fire and let it do the work for me. What am I pounding my blade through?

Obviously,it depends on your environment and your preferences. Splitting wood to reach the dry inner fuel or making two dimensionally smaller pieces for building shelter etc,is what I like to use it for(among other things).
I have a small shovel that will dig just fine and not degrade my performance in other areas. No knife in existence can dig through dirt without dulling. Its just a fact. Rocks in the soil are just too hard not to affect the sharpness of a blade.

I never said a knife should replace a good shovel and ax(I carry them as well)..now if I lost my shovel or ax.....
I can gut a deer or skin a rabbit or fillet a fish with my leatherman. I could get it done with my folder if necessary. Might get a little dirty!

I personally find that I prefer and need a knife bigger and tougher than a folder and a leatherman

(though I carry them too)... I prefer at least a 5' full tang fixt-blade knife in addition... I like not to have to worry

about a failing locking mechanism..
I can break shit with a rock and pry with a stick or my small shovel.

See second response. Also...I guess that depends on where you are.... What if you have no rocks?
This is a great mental exercise for people. Nothing personal or anything to get angry about. I just like to pick people's brains and get at what is necessary and what is just fluff.
You both are doing a very good job of representing your ideas in this debate.

You are wanting to argue a subject with way too many variables.

Would I need to Baton wood for fire in the Rockies in the summer....no probably not.

In the Pacific North West? It makes things a hell of a lot easier.

In Thailand during monsoon? You bet your ass... (and yes I have,to all)
To clear ground vegetation for camp I prefer a longer blade over a leather-man or a 2"blade(or an ax) any day.. lol
So it really depends on the situation and your preferences....
One thing is for sure though.... I will always Cary a good,absolutely dependable,FULL TANG,4-6" blade with me when I go out..

At least I know that if I have to hammer the shit out of it,or whatever,that it probably won't fail me.
In order to get that peace of mind,I have to pay for it..   That's just me... I am by no means some great woodsman,but

I have been out more than a couple of times,for more than a couple of days..

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I live, work and play in the Pacific Northwest and I don't feel underprepared with a Mora or a Buck 110. Either does everything I expect a knife to do.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#16]
The Mora might be a "cheap" knife in cost, but it is NOT a cheap knife.  The blades are second to none, now, if you want to be really tacticool, I guess the Mora isnt for you.   Its a knife people, not an axe, not a shovel, not a baton, not a gun, etc etc...just a knife, and it excells at cutting!  (which is what most people get a knife for)   Just sayin.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The Mora might be a "cheap" knife in cost, but it is NOT a cheap knife.  The blades are second to none, now, if you want to be really tacticool, I guess the Mora isnt for you.   Its a knife people, not an axe, not a shovel, not a baton, not a gun, etc etc...just a knife, and it excells at cutting!  (which is what most people get a knife for)   Just sayin.

Evidently you didn't read the OP.... just sayin...

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#18]
The Swedish military seem to find them adequate.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
But how much has anyone really put one through to say that there really worthy as a survival knife?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently, neither did you. Just sayin'....
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Tha Swedish military? What's that.

Isn't that like saying the Cub Scouts find them adequate enough? Lol.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Yes they are good for survival, if you have skills with a knife, that is why many survival schools issue them as part of the kit for the classes.

The more you learn about Moras, the more fun they are to use.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:

But how much has anyone really put one through to say that there really worthy as a survival knife?

Quoted:

Quoted:

My posts were relevant to the OP..
Don't worry,I'm not ragging on your choice of knives.

No need to get so offensive and start playing big brother...
If you guys have the opinion that Sandvik stainless steel blades are second to none,then who am I

to question such knowledge? After all,stainless does hold the bestest, sharpest edges;and are the

easiest to sharpen when they dull...
I also admit that it was foolish of me to think that a silly ol' knife could do anything more than,well...cut...

As a matter of fact,I'm goin ta sell off all of my Esee,Bussekin,Tops,and Bark River;and buy a scalpel. That should save

me some weight,and they cut like a MOFO!

(because they're stainless)
This little following that Mora seems ta have has peeked my interests... I may have to follow

the OP's lead and try one out for myself...Heck,If I like it,it may make the perfect companion for the scalpel...
Also,Who am I to question the Swedish Military....
My sincere apologies all around ........   My bad....  

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tha Swedish military? What's that.

Isn't that like saying the Cub Scouts find them adequate enough? Lol.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you guys have the opinion that Sandvik stainless steel blades are second to none,then who am I
to question such knowledge? After all,stainless does hold the bestest, sharpest edges;and are the

I also admit that it was foolish of me to think that a silly ol' knife could do anything more than,well...cut...
As a matter of fact,I'm goin ta sell off all of my Esee,Bussekin,Tops,and Bark River;and buy a scalpel. That should save
me some weight,and they cut like a MOFO!   (because they're stainless)

This little following that Mora seems ta have has peeked my interests... I may have to follow
the OP's lead and try one out for myself...Heck,If I like it,it may make the perfect companion for the scalpel...

It's okay. We understand that you are defensive about wanting to particpate in the discussion despite having no experience with the knives in question and a penchant for misusing and misapplying tools. I'm looking forward to your thread on how you rebuilt a small block Chevy with your Rambo knife.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#25]
The whole point of my participation in this thread was to get people thinking. Instead of a large knife to do all jobs, I have smaller specialized tools that will do better at their particular job than a single all purpose tool.

My little shovel will do its job without deteriorating the performance of my knife. If it breaks, I will have to improvise. Destroying my knife is not improvisation.

My folding gerber saw works great with little noise. If it breaks, I have a spare blade. If that bends or breaks, I can still fell small trees and branches with my leatherman. I just have to whittle it down with many slices and then break it off once I have thinned it enough. Not quick, but I can still get it done. The leatherman has a small saw on it as well.

For kindling in wet climates, I have a little different strategy. Instead of batoning a big knife with a log, I can strip down smaller pieces of wood to get to the dry core. Its like whittling. You just strip off the wet outside of a medium sized stick with your knife and then whittle off a nice big pile of dry shavings for kindling. Cracking a big piece of wood is not necessary. The bigger pile of dry kindling, the less you work you have to do to expose dry wood on the larger pieces. Don't think I have not tried this or given it any thought. Its also very quiet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

me some weight,and they cut like a MOFO!
  (because they're stainless)

It's okay. We understand that you are defensive about wanting to particpate in the discussion despite having no experience with the knives in question and a penchant for misusing and misapplying tools. I'm looking forward to your thread on how you rebuilt a small block Chevy with your Rambo knife.
The knives I have are meant to do more than just cut,but you do not understand that.

Do you  seriously think I am talking about a "Rambo" knife? LOL...

These knives (Mora) are not marketed as anymore than a cutter because they can not stand up to anything more,

and the price reflects that.. The knives I use are meant to be able to handle most anything you could through at them..

That's why the companies that I deal with,stand behind their 100% "non-limited" lifetime warranty... If I can

break them,they will fix them.....  

And if I was going to rebuild a motor with a knife.... It definitely would not be a Chevy....  

To each his own...  

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
These knives (Mora) are not marketed as anymore than a cutter because they can not stand up to anything more,
and the price reflects that..  

Yup, they cut stuff. Which is what knives are expected to do. Imagine that. And the Moras offer a tremendous value.

As has been said, if you expect a knife to function as a shovel, an axe, a hammer, etc, you should look elsewhere.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I have two of the basic style moras w/ carbon steel blades and they are two of the best blades I own... Deffenatly not the most expensive.  A mora is a good knife... It is not a pry bar, or shovel, or hatchet.  If I want to chop wood I use a hatchet or axe.  If I need to dig I use a shovel.  A mora can take some abuse but I would not ever try to kill my blade in a survival situation.  I was brought up spending alot of my childhood in the Adirondacks hunting and fishing.  I never once heard of batoning wood with a knife untill I read about it on the internet and survial forums.  My father and grandpa (god rest) taught me alot about hunting and survival and they never taught me to chop wood with a knife.  Both spent more time in the woods then I have been alive and their knife of choice was always a very very small folder.  Blade size less then 2". reason is weight.  I was always taught to pack light when hunting.  No need for a "rambo knife" strapped to my leg.  I always carry more then I need though and my father picks on me every time I open my hunting pack about the extra junk i carry.  My father has been in true survival situations while hunting and spent more then one night in the woods without much, and he made it out just fine.  We now have radios and GPS so hopefully it would never come to true survival again, but its always good to be prepaired and have a good blade.  IMHO a good blade does not have to chop wood for you.  It has to cut, slice, & carve.  A mora can do that.  Are there better knifes? sure!  But a mora is a good start and worth the coin.  As stated in a previous post a buck 110 is also a good choice.  maybe a little on the heavy side but I have two  two is one, one is none  If I could only take one knife/tool for survival it would be a leatherman.  My choice is the wave & always on my hip.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I have the $9 military moras, they are all I carry for a fixed blade and I can use branches as batons and cut down 8-10" trees and split wood.

No need IMO for anything bigger or more expensive unless you have specialized needs
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 2:42:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have the $9 military moras, they are all I carry for a fixed blade and I can use branches as batons and cut down 8-10" trees and split wood.

No need IMO for anything bigger or more expensive unless you have specialized needs

Link? I have thought about buying some mora knives for my nephews. I wouldn't mind having a military version as well.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 2:44:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be best to know now what your gear can do before that situation.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 2:54:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be best to know now what your gear can do before that situation.  

You may want to re-read the part in red. I know exactly what my gear will do in that situation. I won't have to cut anything since my shelter will be in my gear. If I am without my gear, life gets a whole lot tougher.

I could definitely build a small shelter with just my leatherman. It wouldn't be a lot of fun, but doable.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 3:06:21 AM EDT
[#33]

A million soldiers, sailors and marines can't be wrong.

The USMC Ka Bar knife can be had for under $60 if you look for it. Hard steel, it holds a wickedly sharp edge.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The USMC Ka Bar knife can be had for under $60 if you look for it. Hard steel, it holds a wickedly sharp edge.

I completely agree, which is one reason I could never understand why someone would consciously choose to carry a Mora over a KaBar which is an excellent cutting knife and extremely tough for a little more money. Or another knife in similar or slightly better class of materials if they can afford it. A good knife certainly doesn't have to cost someone $300. There are great knives out there for $100 and less.

Round about this discussion has made one thing clear through some of our members here and I appreciate everyone's input, but the Mora knives clearly aren't as strong and capable of some tasks as other knives are. In that aspect, someone purposely choosing to carry a weaker tool when they could simply spent the money on a better one is making a poor choice to me.  

The gear we choose to carry that we could be relying on to help keep us alive and well, as we all know is very important. Get the best you can is always the way I've seen it, so that it will serve you outside your common use if needs be too. I decided to buy a Mora to see if it was a smart choice for a survival knife compared to other choices or people recommending someone carry one as a survival/shtf knife were actually doing someone a disservice. I'll see how it holds up over time, but it's not an actual mainline carry for me. I've got lots of other excellent knives, a KBar being one fo them.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link? I have thought about buying some mora knives for my nephews. I wouldn't mind having a military version as well.

I don't know if they can still be had for $9. Last year someone posted about a deal from Sportsman's Guide where with some discount and/or free shipping the military Moras could be had for about $10. Ragnar's lists them for $13.

I got a few of the military Moras from SG and have been impressed with them. They do what I expect a knife is intended to, cut things, and are pretty sturdy little knives. I think they offer unsurpassed value for a knife. At their price point, it is easy to justify buying several to keep in vehicles, gear, etc. Personally, for something to be used in a survival situation, I would probably rather have them in a more noticable color such as blaze orange which would allow them to be more easily kept track of.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I completely agree, which is one reason I could never understand why someone would consciously choose to carry a Mora over a KaBar which is an excellent cutting knife and extremely tough for a little more money. Or another knife in similar or slightly better class of materials if they can afford it. A good knife certainly doesn't have to cost someone $300. There are great knives out there for $100 and less.

Round about this discussion has made one thing clear through some of our members here and I appreciate everyone's input, but the Mora knives clearly aren't as strong and capable of some tasks as other knives are. In that aspect, someone purposely choosing to carry a weaker tool when they could simply spent the money on a better one is making a poor choice to me.  

The gear we choose to carry that we could be relying on to help keep us alive and well, as we all know is very important. Get the best you can is always the way I've seen it, so that it will serve you outside your common use if needs be too. I decided to buy a Mora to see if it was a smart choice for a survival knife compared to other choices or people recommending someone carry one as a survival/shtf knife were actually doing someone a disservice. I'll see how it holds up over time, but it's not an actual mainline carry for me. I've got lots of other excellent knives, a KBar being one fo them.

You stubbornly pretend that this has anything to do with money.

I carry an $80 Leatherman Surge. How is that cheaper than a Kabar?

The whole point to this discussion is that many of us have made a very wise choice to buy three smaller, lighter tools that allow us to get the jobs you mention done better with less weight and less likelihood of destruction.

You seemed to consider people who think like me as less prepared or less well served by our "inferior" gear.  I am saying that we are just as prepared without a big heavy knife. We just choose to use different tools for each job.

Your assumption is that we are not carrying the absolute best possible tools. I contend that for what I need, a mora knife can easily fit the role I ask of it, so it is the best possible tool. Much, much, much better than some thick heavy knife that does not add to my survival capabilities enough to justify the weight. I just don't need a knife to pound through a car door, period. Those who do are probably working too hard.

I absolutely hate the kabar knife. It doesn't balance well and looks like warmed over dog shit. I will never own one. I am sure its a decent cutting tool. It does not impress me.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

sportsmans guide usually has them, They look cheap but the knife and the sheath are GTG
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#38]
The “best” is pretty subjective. Best for what? For me the Mora is the best basic knife for the weight and price I can carry. It does all I want a knife to do and a lot more.

I've broken multiple K-bars so in my experience I don't know why anyone would think they are good knives. Better material? I think not, the steel the mora is made from is probably better than the k-bar. For $30 they are ok, but for the weight and size they don't a thing for me that a smaller knife wouldn't do. If I was going to get a bigger knife I would sure get one stronger than a k-bar.

The price of my knife and the size is not a status symbol. I carry a G19, should I carry a bigger more expensive pistol to prove I'm serious about self-defense?

People who have actually used Moras should probably be the ones to comment on them.

The reason people don't like them is they don't look cool and they don't feel big and tough. People that actually work with knives in their hands all day long like Alaska fishermen all use knives very similar to the Mora.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sportsmans guide usually has them, They look cheap but the knife and the sheath are GTG

I can't find them for under $15 each. I think I will order 4 of them once I get paid next month. It would be great to find them for $10 from a sight sponsor.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You stubbornly pretend that this has anything to do with money.

I carry an $80 Leatherman Surge. How is that cheaper than a Kabar?

The whole point to this discussion is that many of us have made a very wise choice to buy three smaller, lighter tools that allow us to get the jobs you mention done better with less weight and less likelihood of destruction.

You seemed to consider people who think like me as less prepared or less well served by our "inferior" gear.  I am saying that we are just as prepared without a big heavy knife. We just choose to use different tools for each job.

Your assumption is that we are not carrying the absolute best possible tools. I contend that for what I need, a mora knife can easily fit the role I ask of it, so it is the best possible tool. Much, much, much better than some thick heavy knife that does not add to my survival capabilities enough to justify the weight. I just don't need a knife to pound through a car door, period. Those who do are probably working too hard.

I absolutely hate the kabar knife. It doesn't balance well and looks like warmed over dog shit. I will never own one. I am sure its a decent cutting tool. It does not impress me.

You're wrong in your assumption I think it's about price, though I know from experience you often get what you pay for and having been into knives for over 30 years, quality often costs a certain amount. I look at any survival knife choice whether it's a good choice by thickness of blade, shape and features, materials for handle, blade and sheath, and overall structural strength and capability for example. How well it will handle hard use, not purposeful abuse, but hard use in trying to survive with whatever options are around you.

I think someone can simply get a better knife at this point when it comes down to choosing a Mora. I'm certainly not a big knife advocate either. My ideal fixed blade survival knife is around 5 to 6 inches. If a person wants to baton some wood as long as the blade is strong enough, it's more than capable size for reasonable sized logs. Whether or not you think you'll never need to is a poor way to look at it. Things don't always go as planned. You may have no choice at some point with what wood is around, and you could always loose or break your other tools as I said.

Don't take how others look at something and apply it to me. How many different tools you carry for differents tasks doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned each one you do carry should be as durable and capable for as many tasks as possible and you can afford. Meaning regardless for the knife choice, there are much stronger knives to pick in place of the Mora to carry with you as far as I see it.

You are quite stubborn in your outlook on the subject to point fingers. I started the thread hoping to get more input on what people who own Mora's have actually put them through and how they have faired over time. I'm still hoping for more experiences people have had with them to see how well they'll held up. Not just be told, "yeh, there tough enough". That's thin and mainly opinion in itself. Having one on the way to me from Ragnar, I'll get to see for myself how well it's made and whether it's a solid choice.  

Thank you for contributing though as to everyone also, as it's still interesting discussion with the bravado and bickering.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't consider this bickering because we are both representing our ideas respectfully. I may disagree on the toughness required of a tool, but neither of us doubts the utility of a great quality knife.
This discussion represents two different philosophies. I have become very minimalist since my days when I thought my Kukri and SOG Government were absolutely required for serious use. Now the SOG is just a thing of beauty and the kukri rides in my truck tool box. They are both tough as nails and great tools. They are not required for bugging out or in. If I have to go out and fight, then my gear requirements change a little, but not much.

We recently had a great discussion on E tools. I don't carry one. I carry a U-dig-it folding shovel for scat holes and such. Many people insist they might have to dig fighting positions for a full frontal assault when they are bugging out with their families. I do not intend to stand and fight when my family needs to be de-assing the area. One guy wanted to be able to make a nuke shelter in the woods. I was pretty stubborn in that discussion too.

I used to have well over 50 knives, mostly thumb opening lock blades. Only a few fixed blades. I fixed my knife habit by buying guns instead!

ETA: that SOG Government is one of the most beautiful, well balanced, finely made knives I have held in my hands. Just had to say that! Its one of the few fixed blades that have ever made my heart go pitter patter.
At that is coming from a guy who has held $3000 knives in my hands.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I have several #1 Moras as well as the 840MGs.
Excellent knives. Sharp as hell. Good, strong steel. YES the blades are thinner than some. How thick does it need to be to cut?  Make no mistake, they are damn good knives and one of the few instances in life where you get much more than you pay for.

Get em from Ragnar's Ragweed Forge. Great CS. Very fast.

BTW, Kabar is all hype. Govt. lowest bidder garbage, on a par with camillus USAF pilot's knife. Basically a pry bar.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I don't consider this bickering because we are both representing our ideas respectfully. I may disagree on the toughness required of a tool, but neither of us doubts the utility of a great quality knife.
This discussion represents two different philosophies. I have become very minimalist since my days when I thought my Kukri and SOG Government were absolutely required for serious use. Now the SOG is just a thing of beauty and the kukri rides in my truck tool box. They are both tough as nails and great tools. They are not required for bugging out or in. If I have to go out and fight, then my gear requirements change a little, but not much.

We recently had a great discussion on E tools. I don't carry one. I carry a U-dig-it folding shovel for scat holes and such. Many people insist they might have to dig fighting positions for a full frontal assault when they are bugging out with their families. I do not intend to stand and fight when my family needs to be de-assing the area. One guy wanted to be able to make a nuke shelter in the woods. I was pretty stubborn in that discussion too.

I used to have well over 50 knives, mostly thumb opening lock blades. Only a few fixed blades. I fixed my knife habit by buying guns instead!

ETA: that SOG Government is one of the most beautiful, well balanced, finely made knives I have held in my hands. Just had to say that! Its one of the few fixed blades that have ever made my heart go pitter patter.

I rubbed the glass that enveloped a 22k dollar knife at Blade a couple of weeks ago...  

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I rubbed the glass that enveloped a 22k dollar knife at Blade a couple of weeks ago...  

Did you sigh lovingly?

My buddy makes automatics that are literally art. They are more beautiful in person than on the web.

http://www.burnknives.com

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you sigh lovingly?

My buddy makes automatics that are literally art. They are more beautiful in person than on the web.

http://www.burnknives.com

Holly shit! I want a friggin stiletto so bad... LOL

That guy has some absolutely awesome (for lack of a better word

) Automatics (and manuals).....

I really like the 11" liner locks....

One day I'll be able to afford something nice like that.... I don't know
what I would do with one though.

I don't think I would be doing any batoning with it....digging around in the dirt would be out of the question..

And rebuilding a Chevy with it is probably a no-go...BUT, I don't care what anyone says,I would definitely

feel a little more bad ass...lol

His site is really nice too... I watched the letters of the word "stiletto" follow my cursor around for like 2 min...lol

Thanks for the link!

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

snip

Holly shit! I want a friggin stiletto so bad... LOL

That guy has some absolutely awesome (for lack of a better word
) Automatics (and manuals).....

I really like the 11" liner locks....

One day I'll be able to afford something nice like that.... I don't know what I would do with one though.

I don't think I would be doing any batoning with it....digging around in the dirt would be out of the question..

And rebuilding a Chevy with it is probably a no-go...BUT, I don't care what anyone says,I would definitely

feel a little more bad ass...lol

His site is really nice too... I watched the letters of the word "stiletto" follow my cursor around for like 2 min...lol

Thanks for the link!

He did a tanto in the "art knives" section. It is definitely not something you would put into a bug out bag, but it sure as hell is purdy!

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#47]

This discussion represents two different philosophies.

There's definitely some meat to that point. Different ways of looking at the tools, because what each of us thinks they'll be used for. I've no doubt the Mora I ordered will be an excellent cutting knife for butchering and cleaning fish and game. Fine for cutting most rope and fine light wood work. That's just not all I want a fixed blade survival knife to be capable of doing though and I can only carry so much weight. That's me though. I tossed my E-tool also as it was just something I decided I'd live without for the size and weight it added. So other tools need to supplement some of what it would do. Digging foxholes and fighting position isn't what I'd do either. There's very little to stay stable in one spot if danger is coming without good reason.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#48]
The Military issued Mora knife is part of many European and nato military kits. Its a thicker blade than the one in the OPs pic and is part of many survival kits. Yes a Mora knife will work. As stated above in several posts its a matter of opinion. The person has to determine what they want the knife to do. Skill with a knife also comes into play. There are many military issued knifes given out for "survival" and even more are offered from the civilian blade makers for a person to choose from. Each person must determine what knife is right for them through trial and error. You must use the knife in the field as well as day to day use to make an honest evaluation of your knife. A person may go through many blades until they find what's right for them. I have. If you like the Mora use it.
Have fun and stay safe
RLTW
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Military issued Mora knife is part of many European and nato military kits. Its a thicker blade than the one in the OPs pic and is part of many survival kits. Yes a Mora knife will work. As stated above in several posts its a matter of opinion. The person has to determine what they want the knife to do. Skill with a knife also comes into play. There are many military issued knifes given out for "survival" and even more are offered from the civilian blade makers for a person to choose from. Each person must determine what knife is right for them through trial and error. You must use the knife in the field as well as day to day use to make an honest evaluation of your knife. A person may go through many blades until they find what's right for them. I have. If you like the Mora use it.
Have fun and stay safe
RLTW

If there using this one it's not actually. Both the one I ordered and this model issued as a survival knife are .098" thick. It's basically the thickest they make from what I've seen from Frosts site, Ragweeds and others on the web. It's too bad in my opinion, if for not offering people the option alone. I almost bought one of these and may still down the road, but I like the blade shape of the other better and the leather sheath. The sheath on most of the Mora's are almost unwearable for me with the belts I wear.

I was considering this model also, but the soft squishing grip is something I've never liked as I'd had soft Krayton on other knives and never liked how it wore and tore easy enough.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Well I got it in the mail just now. I'd like to thank Ragnar for speedy and solid customer service. I'll definitely buy from him again.

At first impression it's a well shaped blade with a nice edge. The handle is fairly comfortable to my hand though it could be a little bigger. The overall build quality isn't bad, they've obviously gotten good at making them. It's still the materials and design that fall short to my eyes. The handles wood looks like one good hit on a rock out in the woods would crack it easily and over time moisture will beat it up. It's unfinished though so rubbing some oil into it should help that a bit. The way the handle is attached too really leaves me to wonder. If it broke, repairing or replacing it, probably wouldn't be easy. There's really not much to say about the sheath other than it is a sheath. You can see for yourself. I'm sure it will make a nice camp/hunting knife which I'll use for seeing how it holds up, but there's not a chance in hell I'd choose this as a survival/bob knife. It would be a nice knife to gift to a kid as a first hunting knife though in my opinion.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top