Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2008 10:09:11 AM EDT
What's the best GPS, under $200, to help me find my way to hunting spots and back to my truck in unfamilure woods?
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6446&locale=en_US

The high-sensitivity receiver models are much better particularly in wooded areas with tree cover.  A mapping unit improves your situational awareness IMO, makes it a lot easier to keep track of your routes, find your way back etc particularly if you don't have a paper map handy.

Basic non-mapping unit with high sensitivity receiver:
eTrex H
Mapping handheld units:
eTrex Summit HC
maybe even a Legend HCx at $200 street price, gives you memory card capability for add-on maps.

A lot of people on the geocaching forums seem to like the Vista HCx but it'll be over your $200 price limit a bit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Vista HCx and love it. There is not much it doesn't do, or should I say it does EVERYTHING all those other units do and then some!(except talk)

It has an altimeter and electronic compass so you can swing a bearing standing still(moving less than 5mph) I would highly recommend a Garmin handheld that has at last a "H" and an "x" in it's name. The H denotes high sensitivity. I can sit inside a building(wood frame/shingle roof) and still get at least 3 sats. the "x" is for expamdable memory. I curently have a 2gig microSD card in mine loaded with City Naigator North America, National Parks East 1:24k (where I live is in those maps) and Blue Chart-Americas and still have well over a GIG of memory left to store waypoint, tracks, poi's and anything else that may trip my fancy. Most of the units that have fixed memory only have 24megs if memory serves me.

I payed $239 for my GPS which came with Mapsource for the computer and around $80 each for the three different map software I am running as well as about $50 for the 2gi micro SD card. It is not a $200 self contained unit bu it does a HECK of alot more
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got a Summit HC and love it.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Garmin eTrex H that I keep in my GHB for emergencies. It is very basic and has no mapping capability but it let's you know where you are, where you came from, and how to get back to where you came from.

When you setup a track it will keep track of your path and then you can reverse course and it will lead you back to where you are going.

You can enter waypoints in it and then it will easily lead you to where the waypoints from your current location. Perfect for hunting if you have setup a Deer Stand and want to get back to it from a starting point you are not to sure of.

In a small area that you have basic knowledge of it would be fine without a map. If you are in a larger area that you are unfamiliar with just be sure and carry a USGS Topo Map of the area and you will be set.

For less than $100 I think it's a great little unit if you are only using it for basic navigation. I looked at the more expensive mapping units and I thought the screens on most of them were so small that the maps would not be very useful.

That's my $.02 anyway.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Spend the extra money and get an Earthmate PN-20.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Garmin Vista HCx; you really do want the high sensitivity version.  My old Magellan would take forever to get a signal.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Trimble trimpac.

Any of the Garmin
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd say either a Garmin 60csx or Legend csx.  The Legend floats IIRC, the 60 does not.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know what the 60CSx is selling for these days, but it's one hell of a good GPS.

-Mark.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't know what the 60CSx is selling for these days, but it's one hell of a good GPS.

-Mark.

Agreed.  It's an excellent unit and I LOVE mine.  Lasts for numerous all day hikes on a single set of AA Li batteries.  It will probably be more than $200.00 though.  Looks like right now they are north of $300.00.

I thought about the earthmate till I started reading the forums and it sounded like a cool idea but with underpowered hardware and some bugs to work out.  Since I also use my GPS on the road the routing features were another win over the earthmate.  The earthmate does have some kick-butt features though.  Might be worth a look to see if it's ironed out it's wrinkles a bit more.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the  eTrex Venture HC. I love it. I do a lot of wandering around in the middle of the AZ desert even when it's 115 degrees outside. It's always been reliable. Just make sure you always have extra batteries. It eats batteries. Otherwise turn it on, get your position, then head in the direction you want to go and turn it off. Then turn it on when you want to get an update of where you are. I think I got it for under $150 online, I don't remember exactly. The color map and base map of highways and stuff is useful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top