Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2008 1:34:30 AM EDT
Arfcommers:
This is the most appropriate forum that I could find on Arfcom for this subject. If I missed the mark, let me know.

I need to purchase some walking/hiking boots and the local market is unsatisfactory. I have purchased boots online from a certain vendor that has always been reliable, but their product line has been cut drastically in the last few days and this makes me leary of buying from them again.

So, what Iwould like to have are your recommendations for online vendors with which you have purchased and been satisfied with. I prefer to buy U S made products when I can and am willing to pay a premium so long as the quality is sufficient to justify the expense.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Respectfully;
HBR
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
only ones ive gotten lately have been surplus goretex boots off ebay from the same guy....not really hiking etc. only ones id say to look into would be REI and Campmor/bass pro
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey guy. Check out Zappos. They sell Danners, both the US and China made ones. Free overnight shipping and a very REI like, liberal return policy.

I have a pair of each (US = Acadia & China = 453GTX). Both are excellent. I'm sold completely.

Other excellent brands are Vasque and Lowa.

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Before you buy any foot wear over the net go out and try them on at a local dealer and see what fits YOUR feet and if they are comfortable. Dont waste your time listening to every one to tell you this one is better than that that one. Every ones feet are different and one boot may not fit and feel good on YOUR feet like some one else's feet. The last think you want to do is play the game of sending back boots that dont feel right. You will waist a bunch of money that way. Once you find the right boot that fits and feels good start checking who has the best price. Boots and shoes are too important to get something that does not fit right or feel good. Your feet will appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The most important factor is fit, as expressed above.  For example, Matterhorn boots tend to run short and narrow, and I wear 12EEE.  My the time I find a size that gives me room the darn things are over a foot long and feel awkward.  The best ft for my feet so far has been HiTec Magnums and Corcoran Mach series.  The old jumpboot style Corcoran II Field fit the best but are just too pretty to be a rough use boot..

If you cannot try before you buy, be prepared to send 'em back.  It's a hassle, but worth it.

Ops
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Zappos.com is good.

Especially if you are hard to size.  Buy half a dozen pairs, and return the ones that don't fit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Before you buy any foot wear over the net go out and try them on at a local dealer and see what fits YOUR feet and if they are comfortable. Dont waste your time listening to every one to tell you this one is better than that that one. Every ones feet are different and one boot may not fit and feel good on YOUR feet like some one else's feet. The last think you want to do is play the game of sending back boots that dont feel right. You will waist a bunch of money that way. Once you find the right boot that fits and feels good start checking who has the best price. Boots and shoes are too important to get something that does not fit right or feel good. Your feet will appreciate it.
+1.  Boots & shoes are things that IMO must be fit to you.  I don't care how well made a boot is or what the price is, if they aren't comfortable - you won't wear them and are therefore a waste of money.  I personally like to buy shoes & boots in person, if it costs a little more, so be it - it's worth it to me.  The idea of constantly sending things back is just not my bag and with shipping both ways, may turn out to be not such a good deal anyway.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

He stated in his original post that the local market for boots was not good. I don't believe he is shopping the net to save money as much as expanding the selection.  Therefore trying them on first is not an option.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I would read up on stuff to see how different boots fit different people.

Danners I need a 10.5 wide last time I bought some, and I need to buy some more.

Some merrel slip on shoe things I bought were just 10.5 regular and I bought both at the same time.

Redwings used to fit me but I am somewhere between their sizes a bit and can't find anything that fits well unless I want to go big and wear more socks.  So I tried danner and they fit now.

Anyway, I figure doing some reading on how different stuff fits people will allow you to order fewer boots before finding what fits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top