Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 10:22:48 AM EDT
In my Karate Dojo, we work alot with weapons, two of which are the Jo (4') and Bo (6') staffs.  I have taken to carrying a "walking stick" in my truck at all times.  It is a little longer than a Jo and I made it from a broom handle.  The "Brazilian Hard Wood" broom handles at Lowe's and Home Depot are perfect.  When there are bunch, sort through and select the heavier ones.  Cut to length, sand off the finish and treat with lemon or walnut oil.  I made a set of double sticks (eschrima) out of these broom handles and they have lasted me over three years.
You will of course need to find some good training, but this stick should serve you well.  

R/
Mike
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
there are some good ideas here here @ Ranger Ricks survival digest under "walkin sticks", he has some great ideas on making another seemingly very useful piece of gear...

ETA: Scroll down the left side of the page and look under the compas to the topic titled "MY OTHER TIPS", click on "walkin sticks"...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I have my hiking stick or staff cane, I will try to take some photos of it today.

Hiking polls are great but this one can be used for self defense and not break.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
check out this one...

members.shaw.ca/wwseb/define.htm
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, I'll ask.....

I've been walking since I was one. I've been hiking since I was five.

I have two good legs. Why would I ever want a "walking stick". It can't help you walk (since walking is so very easy) so what good are they? I know people use them, so they must serve some purpose.

Are they like a vertical fore-grip on a non-CQB rifle (answer to a problem that doesn't exist)?

ETA: I understand that they can be used as a weapon, or all manner of other things, but for the primary use of walking, I don't see the point.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK, I'll ask.....

I've been walking since I was one. I've been hiking since I was five.

I have two good legs. Why would I ever want a "walking stick". It can't help you walk (since walking is so very easy) so what good are they? I know people use them, so they must serve some purpose.

Are they like a vertical fore-grip on a non-CQB rifle (answer to a problem that doesn't exist)?

ETA: I understand that they can be used as a weapon, or all manner of other things, but for the primary use of walking, I don't see the point.
If walkin g in rocky or mountainous area a walking stick can help you maintain balance.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If walking in rocky or mountainous area, a walking stick can help you maintain balance.

Are they more useful the more loaded you are? I've never hiked while packed heavy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
three point balance  for crossing streams/ creeks, help balance for crossing deadfalls, crossing rough/rocky ground, lean on if your in open territory and need to take a break.  Tent pole for your tarp shelter, strap it between two trees and hang your BoB from at camp, emergency shooting stick, lash your knife to as a spear .... the list is endless
Yep, I was thinking if simply from a hiking point of view. Anytime I'm shooting outside I hunt around and find a good stick and I just walk around and use it to support myself. Walking stick is probably a good thing to have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top