Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:59:35 PM EDT
Found on in the little nickle localy for $750.00. Just called the guy. It used to be on a chipper and he took it, mounted it to a "Harbor Star" generator. He said it runs great but has trouble keeping perfect rpm to keep it at 60hz, and it trips his inverter.....

Thats what I want it for powering electronics in the house and charging battireies.... so,,,

But $750.00 seems like a nice deal.

hat ya all think, deal grab it and try to fix the rpm issue or pass?

I'm not gona post abought the $1500.00 1957 Oliver tractor in the nickle to.... wife's baned me from craigs list and the nickle is probly next~  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I think Kabota makes some of the best stuff out there... but if it's a cobbled up genny retrofit that can't keep the output clean, that may spell trouble, more than it's worth.

JMO
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a project.  How handy are you, and what is your knowledge of electronics?

I'm a sucker for those kind of deals, but I also know my limitations (usually)

Getting something for emergency backup that you don't understand inside and out, you are probably better off going factory stock.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya, not sure this is a project I want to tackle (I have more gennys than I need now).

I'm prity handy but I'll admit I don't know much on the electrical side or on trying to fix an idle issue on a small diesel.

Oh well, next weeks a new little nickle!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you go over and look at it? Is the drop in RPM right away, or in 15 minutes, or just under load, when hot or cold, or what? If we had more info on when and how it is happening, it would be easier to come up with a possible problem.

If you can go look at it, I would let it run for 30 minutes or more at RPM, and not under any load. Look to see if it changes in RPM just free running.

If it runs fine, I would put it under a full load and time it to see how long before it starts to drop in RPM. If it happens right away, it is the engine, but if it take a while, I would think it is something simple to fix.

Try this. As soon as it does start to drop, quickly open the fuel cap. It may be nothing more than a plugged vented fuel cap.

If it is running fine under no load, and it runs fine for quite a few minutes under a full load before crapping out, I would have to think that the engine is okay, but I could not be 100% certain.

I am thinking that when it is running under NO LOAD, it uses little fuel, and the cap MAYBE venting just enough to keep it running at RPM, but when a full load is applied to it, its fuel intake increases faster than a half plugged vented cap can keep up with, and your RPM will fall.

This actually happened to me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Good info Bunker.

It's a 4 hour round trip for me so not realy close. The gent said they used it while building a house, now there done and have a pourpuse built genny.

I'll pass on this one, tho it dose seem like a good little set up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
i can't see this as being remotely resembling a "good deal."  more like "tar baby" that your wife will make you sell for 50 bucks cause it's taking up room in the garage....around here, 750 will get you a decent gas generator.  i understand you want diesel, everyone does, but if its tripping th einverter, are you pretty sharp with electronics?  getting the rpm right ain't easy...or he would have already done it!!!

pass...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#7]
If the engine originally came off of a chipper, odds are it has the incorrect type of governor mounted to it.  A generator engine wants to have a "constant-speed" governor which will hold the same speed from no load to full load (usually within about 3%).  Most industrial applications (like a chipper) only care about engine load.  Engine speed becomes a function of load as long as the speed stays below a threshold.

A governor can be changed, but will add $$$.

In the long run, you will be probably be better off with a purpose-built set.

45cb
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top