Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2007 4:29:04 PM EDT
For 36 dollars.

Got a chance to try it out last night, this little thing rocks! It uses either the coleman camp gas or unleaded gas. I got a few gallons of the campgas over at walmart. I was able to bring about of a third of a gallon of water to a rolling boil in less then five minutes on medium. Well worth the money IMHO and will be used a lot when using the charcoal grill to make side dishes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I may get one myself soon, been looking at them for a little while.
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nice. I may get one myself soon, been looking at them for a little while.

Me too, walmart had a little markdown on stuff in the camping section and that was as low as I have ever seen them.

When I first lit it up, the wind was blowing a little and it flared up a little, could use some kind of windscreen but the wind was blowing pretty hard.
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I used one for 2 weeks after katrina. to make coffee, mostly when I didn't want to light up my big coleman. grate little stove.
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a pretty good deal. I picked up a MSR Superfly a few years ago and I love it.  MSR Superfly
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Those a good stoves, I've got the 40 y/o version of that stove, I used to use to make jiffy pop for boy scouts.
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one a few years back for a backpacking stove. It works great! On the last campout it cooked ham, eggs, pancakes, bacon, and made the hot chocolate.
I have yet to have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
  I have one of those, I carry it for backup heat in case of breakdown
when I travel cross country during the winter months.  Those stoves
have a great fuel consumption rate.   I did tether the funnel to the
stove though, wrapped in protective plastic.  I tested it with
gasoline during a visit to New Hampshire in subzero temps,
other than preheating the fuel line with a candle, it worked fine.
It was -5deg F, thats when I decided it was a keeper.
Fuel consumption in subzero temps was about an hour and a half
running it full tilt when the tank is full.  I did have some difficulty using
the pump with mittens, though.

Link Posted: 7/4/2007 2:07:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like I'm gonna have to pick one up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Heavy for a backpack stove but absolutely bombproof. It will burn gas from the gas station just fine but use coleman fuel if possible. Cleaner, no benzene etc.

Have used one in 20 below on Mt Washington in January. Bring some burning paste for that to get it started easily.

Good price too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 3:03:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I've seen those stoves all the time, but never knew anyone who actualy used one. IT's always been "A friend of mine has one."

So my questions are...Would burning higher octane fuel be better or worse for smell?  I emailed Coleman about using E85 fuel in stoves and lanterns with no reply yet, that sure would cut fuel costs down.

That stove would make a great addition to the camping kit. I'd love a smaller one like the MSR but my current stove is a single burner propane one that I'm tired of buying canisters for.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 3:15:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Would burning higher octane fuel be better or worse for smell?

Wouldn't be noticeable. Lower octane fuel will burn faster and hotter.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad to read all the positive things about the stove. I plan to use the hell out of it as in the summer we do as much cooking outside as possibe to keep heat out of the house.

After I read the instructions that came with it, it seemed lighting it would be a real pain, put after lighting it a few times its not as complicated as at first glance.

Will have to remember about preheating the gas tube with a candle in cold weather.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had mine for about 10 years now, great stove, couldn't be happier with it.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought one of these a couple of years ago, I really like it.
You can search around the padded cases in Wally world and find a nylon padded bag it will fit in for storage, that is what I did and it works really well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I need to get one, been using one of those little stoves that uses propane tanks.  They work great, and I also have a heater, but the gasoline stove could be usefull in SHTF
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#17]
O.K. - really stupid question but,...

by duel fuel you mean that it will except both liquid fuels (the colman stuff, Gas, ect) and the little green 16.4 oz. propane tanks. thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

by duel fuel you mean that it will except both liquid fuels (the colman stuff, Gas, ect) and the little green 16.4 oz. propane tanks. thanks for the info.

nope for the propane
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It used to be that they only ran on colman fuel, a highly refined kerosene if I remember correctly. You could sneak "white gas" in there back when gasoline was red and had lead. "white gas" was good for europe etc.

(when we ran out of gas on a wilderness convoy, we put coleman in the tank, no problem)

Dual meant gasoline or coleman fuel.

Propane stoves are another animal.

ARDog
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#20]
should have built one of these soda can alchohol stoves, free.

Link Posted: 7/4/2007 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I've used one of those little dual fuel colemans since about '91.  Great little stoves.

You can burn coleman fuel (white gas) or regular unleaded gasoline.  I prefer to use the whie gas since it soots up the pots less.  

My stove has been 100% with one exception:  I replaced the generator somewhere along the line.  Buy a spare.  They are about $10.

Frozeny
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
  I've burned very small amounts of E-85 in mine, the heat output was
noticeably reduced, only did it a few times though.  Don't know
what the long term effects of E-85 use is on the stove, I refilled
the tank with Coleman fuel after each use.  I doubt the tank and
pump would survive very long with E-85 use constantly.  The
E-85 had less fumes than gasoline.  E-85 is a solvent,
and long term use would probably lead to pump or component failure.

Link Posted: 7/4/2007 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I have owned one for about a year now and love it.  A few months ago it went on a camping trip in the rain and worked perfectly.  My water proof matches on the other hand didn't... but I digress...The stove works great with gas and the way I figure it, gas will be easier to get your hands on (easier than propane bottles, specialty MSR bottles or Coleman fuel) in the event of social melt-down, war or alien invasion
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Dual fuel in the 533 means gasoline or Coleman.  There is another stove that will use kerosene but it needs a different generator.

Basic operation of these stoves is based on the energy content of the fuel.  This regulates the oxygen that is mixed with the fuel vapor from the generator.  The valve is at the orifice through a thin wire that is linked to the valve handle.  A secindary valve at the flame lever is only for safety.  Since kerosene is more energetic, it needs a smaller orifice.

The generators on both kerosene and gasoline stoves have similar construction, a thin wire runs from the valve to the orifice.  Bad fuel will plug the generator orifice.  In the field, this can be cleaned by careful disassembly of the generator, removing the wire and working debris out of the generator and orifice.  You can use the wire CAREFULLY to clean the orifice.  A good solvent for removing carbon from generators is a common bore solvent....my favorite, Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV.  Just make sure that ALL of this solvent is removed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I got a used one off Ebay for $13 shipped. It works perfect. In my experience, Coleman stoves are almost indestructible.
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

zenstoves.net/TopBurner/TopBurner.jpg
cant control the heat to simmer with that though. i have the 533 but havent had a chance to use it yet. got that and a gal of fuel for $40 from the clearance shelf a few months ago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Good stove, I like Coleman products.

ETA:
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cant control the heat to simmer with that though. i have the 533 but havent had a chance to use it yet. got that and a gal of fuel for $40 from the clearance shelf a few months ago.

yes you can.  On mine I have a "simmer ring" that blocks all the jets except for 6. So it outputs @ 25%.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:

Mine never worked like that.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#30]
good stove I've drank many a cup a coffe made on one
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got one, myself. Over in Bradford.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I have built a few and they work ok, I just figured that gas would be easier to aquire than high grade alcohol that would work in a soda can stove. I do need to get a better fuel bottle for my can stoves, I keep one in each of the BOB.

The coleman stove is more for use at home in an emergancy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Well, you guys did it.

I've been holding my hand over my eyes when I pass the 533 in Wallyworld for a long time and finally broke down and bought one thanks to this thread.  

Well, I had to go get one as well and to my surprise the local WallMart had the 533 for $29 There were only two on the shelf and both boxes were quite dusty and 1 was slightly sun faded. I have a Wisperlite international that is multi fuel able but its very light weight packing stove. I also have a Brinkman stainless steel two burner propane stove which is strictly for home/auto camping. This 533 fills in the gap between the two pretty nicely. Thanks!

1 more on the shelf at WM on TX-121 & Mid Cities $29
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Well I was able to test the stove with gas instead of the coleman fuel, no difference in the heat it puts out or smell, which was something I was worried about. Went to wallyworld last weekend to buy more coleman fuel and they were all out, but we do have a coleman store local, will drop in next friday to see if they have an extra pump assembly for the 553 and any fuel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one of those made by Peak (model # 550B499)from about ten years ago but mine will burn gas or diesel. Came with some green pre-heat paste for starting it up on diesel. Once it warms up the flame looks just like its running on gas. Great stove! On diesel it has a light smell to it but not to bad.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Picked up one of those little Colemans at Wally World a few weeks ago.  Works great.  Figured it'd be good to have for hurricane season, and whatever else may come to pass.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have one of those made by Peak (model # 550B499)from about ten years ago but mine will burn gas or diesel. Came with some green pre-heat paste for starting it up on diesel. Once it warms up the flame looks just like its running on gas. Great stove! On diesel it has a light smell to it but not to bad.

The instructions that came with mine talked about using heat paste on the gas tube in cold weather, but I have read elsewhere of people using a candle to heat the tube. Is your stove the exact model of the coleman 553 or just one similar? Not that I think I would ever need to, but wonder if I could use diesel in mine?
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I have had this one for many years !
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#40]

I have the 440 model I purchased from Wally World back in 96'.  Great stove for the money.  I have not experienced any problem.  Smaller capacity than your 533 fuel wise.  My buddy have the same models as yours.  Good stove to have in a BO situation.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have built a few and they work ok, I just figured that gas would be easier to aquire than high grade alcohol that would work in a soda can stove. I do need to get a better fuel bottle for my can stoves, I keep one in each of the BOB.

This is what I use in my alcohol stove. Its actually easier to acquire than camping fuels.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Glad to see this thread made it over after the forum change!

Two quick things:

1 - All my local WallyWorlds still have the Coleman stove @ $29 while Academy is $39-$42

2 - If you want a nice alcohol stove with out the coke can hassle then you have two nice prefab options:
- a) Cheaper Than Dirt surplus mess kit $7.97 - the burner is the small brass container. This cook set is cheap but takes up more space than needed.
- b) REI Trangia mini back packer teflon cook set $29.95 - The original, much nicer 'gucci gear' and more costly yet the burner is almost the same. This version does come with a separate adjustable stove lid to help 'simmer' the flame and it works nicely (yet could be fabbed up easy enough). The Teflon cook set is sized just right  and well thought out but realistically a canteen cup and a home made stand would work just as nice.

I bought both
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#43]
A full month after first reading this thread and I just picked this up myself.  I bought it mostly for home emergency use, but was thinking of taking it on the next camping trip.

Quoted:
The 533 kind of fits somewhere between ultralight packing stove and expedition hiking stove.

How would you pack it; just toss it in your bag?  Can it be used to store/transport fuel, or do you pack fuel separately?

TIA,
WTF
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Great Stoves.  

I bought one for general duty and a MSR WhisperLite International for all liquid fuel use.

The International will burn white gas, kerosene, diesel, automobile gas, mineral spirits, and aviation fuel(AV)!

It also has a shaker jet that allow you to shake clean the fuel jet if it becomes clogged!
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I use in my alcohol stove. Its actually easier to acquire than camping fuels.

www.brasslite.com/SiteImages/Misc/HEET.jpg

I have heard of people using the heet as fuel in the soda can stoves. I bought a couple gallons of alcohol when I made the first few stoves. They work ok for heating a canteen cup of water, actually work better than an esbit solid fuel type stove, but its allmost apples an oranges compared to the heat output by the coleman and similar type stoves. Also, how well will the alcohol stoves work in the winter? Havent tested mine in the cold yet but I bet the coleman will work better at freezing or below than an alcohol stove.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#46]
will those dual fuel stoves run on Keroscene?  I ask becauseI have been looking at getting a stove for awhile, and I have a few hundred liters of keroscene kicking around
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
will those dual fuel stoves run on Keroscene?  I ask becauseI have been looking at getting a stove for awhile, and I have a few hundred liters of keroscene kicking around

I've run mine on Kerosene and red dyed off road diesel. Both work very well. The diesel tends to smell a little more but it doesn't bother me. Never have tried biodiesel, it may work   but Biodiesel has been known to attack copper lines I'm told. Great stove though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've run mine on Kerosene and red dyed off road diesel. Both work very well. The diesel tends to smell a little more but it doesn't bother me. Never have tried biodiesel, it may work   but Biodiesel has been known to attack copper lines I'm told. Great stove though.

NOT the 533!  It is a gas only stove but since lead has been phased out, it runs fine on regular gasoline.  The other stoves with the kerosene generator (smaller orifice) can run a bit on diesel.  The red dye supposedly evaporates but it will eventually coke the generator, requiring a degumming with sodium hydroxide.

FORGET biodiesel as a fuel.  It carbons way too much, killing generators.  It has never been distilled, meaining it has appreciable mineral matter that makes for impossible to remove gum.  Now E85 works OK in aluminum can stoves...and at $2.40 a gallon, is a STEAL!  It doesn't work well in Colemans.

Remember, if it was distilled, it can be run in a Coleman stove.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Where can the kerosene generator for the 533 be purchased?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#50]
I've got the remote tank version. When I used it, however it rocked. Unfortunately, as I haven't hit the camps in several years, I'm not even sure a) I have all the pieces a b) it still works.

I'm going to be getting one of the ones like you pictured. The remote tank is neat, but extra parts get lost.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top