Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2022 9:59:17 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy sleeping bags for my family, 0 degree bags. There are an insane amount of options out there. I'm looking to keep it in the sub $150/per range. Does anyone have experience here? They don't necessarily have to be packable, but it'd be nice if they were.

Thots?
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#1]
First stop should be Wiggys.

American made, synthetic, lifetime warranty, washable, conservative owner, used by military units.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Backpackable? If so, you have to pay for weight reduction. If not, then likely you can meet your budget. The older military sleep is good for the money…very durable but not light.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Backpacking or car camping?

Multi day trips or weekends?

Wet environment?
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#4]
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101924174
Midway has a couple of Browning sleeping bags marked down quite a bit. I'm not sure if these are what you are looking for, but the prices look good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1524179945
Here's another. I bought two of these. I haven't used them yet, but the reviews are excellent. The info says 40 inches in width. That's a bit wider than the other one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Wiggys,  also look at foam or inflatable pads, gotta keep body off ground contact.

For car camping or trailers, go with USGI 3 piece system
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies. Looking at wiggys now!
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Wiggy is made in my town.  Own a bag of theirs and it is going on my elk hunt this week.  Night temps will be 10-20 and I will be warm.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wiggy is made in my town.  Own a bag of theirs and it is going on my elk hunt this week.  Night temps will be 10-20 and I will be warm.
View Quote

Wiggy is a couple towns over from me, they make great stuff and good guy.

@OP Kelty makes some good quality 0* bags w/i your price range.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#10]
When we first moved to AK we shopped around for sleeping bags.  Wiggy's popped to the top of the list.  There was a change in mil. camo and Wiggy's had a great sale for stuff with the old pattern.  We ordered a set for the Wife (her's not camo) and me.  Great price on the whole deal!  BUT they would not ship free to AK.  They would not shiip to their store in AK for us.  We ended up having the package shipped, free, to friend's in lower 48 and the Wife brought it back on the plane.

Nice stuff.  Check out their site for any specials.  Our pads are a little narrow, but were about half the price for just a few less inches.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm looking to buy sleeping bags for my family, 0 degree bags. There are an insane amount of options out there. I'm looking to keep it in the sub $150/per range. Does anyone have experience here? They don't necessarily have to be packable, but it'd be nice if they were.

Thots?
View Quote

Car camping, backpacking, or what?

For car camping, I have these for my kids, and when it's only in the high 20s, my kids are often unzipping the bags to keep from overheating.  Also, FJB on the price.  Those used to sell for $40-$50.  My kids have used them a bunch, taken them to scout camps and girls camp, and *one* of them just had a zipper issue after 7 years of use.  But that link to the -20F Browning bag that someone posted seems quite cost-effective as well.

For backpacking, a zero degree bag that packs small and light is going to cost you a lot more buckaroos.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Car camping mostly
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Costco occasionally has the Klymit 0 degree synthetic/down hybrid bags thru their website.
I picked up another one earlier this month for $94.99.

Opticsplanet.com has them for $167 and 10% off coupons can be found.

Campsaver.com has them for $167.40 and free shipping

Alps Mountaineering 0 degree at Steep and Cheap
Takes up a lot of room. I have a couple of the -20 versions that I keep around for emergencies like a prolonged power and gas outage, unheated ice houses, or loaning out when friends that don't winter camp decide to try it.

Alps Mountaineering
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Look up "Best sleep system for.." camping, backpacking, whatever.

The bag is only a piece of the whole system.  Dan Becker has great review videos on differences in types of bags, materials, considerations for actual use, and how to combine them in different setups.

There are also videos discussing the temp rating "system" and how unreliable it is for determining actual performance. Backpacking TV also has some review videos that are good.

Dan Becker: best bags for any budget

Dan Becker: top mistakes people make with sleep system

BackpackingTV: Overhauling my sleep system
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Costco occasionally has the Klymit 0 degree synthetic/down hybrid bags thru their website.
I picked up another one earlier this month for $94.99.

Opticsplanet.com has them for $167 and 10% off coupons can be found.

Campsaver.com has them for $167.40 and free shipping

Alps Mountaineering 0 degree at Steep and Cheap
Takes up a lot of room. I have a couple of the -20 versions that I keep around for emergencies like a prolonged power and gas outage, unheated ice houses, or loaning out when friends that don't winter camp decide to try it.

Alps Mountaineering
View Quote

I do agree the colder temp bags are bulky but they are nice when it's actually cold. The flipside is freezing your ass off all night in one that is under rated for the temps.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I do agree the colder temp bags are bulky but they are nice when it's actually cold. The flipside is freezing your ass off all night in one that is under rated for the temps.
View Quote

Very true.
Something to take into account even car camping is how much space is required for cold weather gear.
The Alps Mountaineering bags I linked are bulky. Four of those bags, winter sleeping pads, tent,    gear and food for 4 people takes a lot of space.

My personal cold weather bag is a Montbell Down Hugger rated to -20 lower limit or -4 comfort. Going colder than that I layer with a 20 to 50 degree quilt, depending on how cold it's forecast to be plus other factors like length of trip and possible moisture build up. Plus temperature appropriate under quilts for my hammock.
Subzero bag, 2 to 3 down quilts (top and bottom), hammock, tarp, down pants, and down parka  take up a lot of space. Down compacts smaller and is lighter than equivalent temp rated synthetic but the down costs significantly more.

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Tier 1 cold weather sleeping bag, not a huge fan of this tight mummy style, but beats freezing to death:

https://featheredfriends.com/collections/winter-expedition-sleeping-bags/products/snow-goose-ex-minus-40-expedition-down-sleeping-bag

Have a few flavors of the Recons and they get the most use:

https://elitesurvival.com/collections/sleeping-bags

-P
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow this is a lot more info than I expected, thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wow this is a lot more info than I expected, thanks
View Quote

Lol, this isn't GD, you'll get helpful info here that matters
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tier 1 cold weather sleeping bag, not a huge fan of this tight mummy style, but beats freezing to death:

https://featheredfriends.com/collections/winter-expedition-sleeping-bags/products/snow-goose-ex-minus-40-expedition-down-sleeping-bag

Have a few flavors of the Recons and they get the most use:

https://elitesurvival.com/collections/sleeping-bags

-P
View Quote

That Feathered Friends bag is sweet, and the price tag reflects it. But worth the cost if you are doing stuff that requires a -40 bag on a regular basis or for a prolonged period.
Three ounces more fill and 900 weight down versus 800 in my Montbell bag.

Montbell and Klymit bags stretch which makes mummy bags less uncomfortable. Also cuts down on dead air gaps to heat with your body as the elastic contracts to take up slack. This can lead to thinner spots in the insulation where the elastic strips are on the lighter insulated bags.
But much more comfortable if you roll around a lot in your sleep. Or are doing situps in your bag at 3 am to warm up because you badly misjudged the weather conditions and brought the wrong bag.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top