Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/18/2022 10:04:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
A good rifle at least 30-06 or higher is a good idea. 300 Win Mag would be a good start.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
223 and 308 can do everything
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
338LM should be part of every ARFCOMer's preps for the bad guys with a plan A
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep also need a good range of 12 gauge for a shotgun for SHTF.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
338LM should be part of every ARFCOMer's preps for the bad guys with a plan A
View Quote

I can take any available lane in my neighborhood w/ .223.  Quit defining everyones' battle space as yer own.

I don't need a .338 or .375 to take down rampaging gender fluid hambeasts, I just don't wash my hands before serving them artisan Guatemalan tacos my non-existent Guatemalan grandmother taught me to make before I didn't swim the alligator infested Rio Grande.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I do. But Why? Well I hunt in Africa anyways so I have a few. If I were in bear country it would definitely pay off. 375 H&H or a 470NE will definitely settle a bear down.

That said, if the world collapses and some environmentalists idiot let’s lions and elephants out to run amok you know who to call. LoL
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
No. Too heavy
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Sako 75 in .375 H&H that I used for moose, loaded with 260 gr. Accubond it puts elk down like a dirty sock.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s my thinking. I’ve had a 300WM multiple times in the past but keep selling them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve got 50’s so I guess yes. Honestly I think an AR is going to handle just about anything I’ll ever need to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For those who don't see the need, have you thought about anti-material? Being able to disable an engine from a ways out seems valuable in certain Maxian scenarios.
View Quote

What kind of engine? Just about any rifle pistol or shotgun round would do damage enough. Radiators and piles of plastic make for easy targets.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  For those who don't see the need, have you thought about anti-material? Being able to disable an engine from a ways out seems valuable in certain Maxian scenarios.
View Quote

Texas National Guard proved M855A1 does the job.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can take any available lane in my neighborhood w/ .223.  Quit defining everyones' battle space as yer own.

I don't need a .338 or .375 to take down rampaging gender fluid hambeasts, I just don't wash my hands before serving them artisan Guatemalan tacos my non-existent Guatemalan grandmother taught me to make before I didn't swim the alligator infested Rio Grande.
View Quote

Lighten up Francis
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For those who don't see the need, have you thought about anti-material? Being able to disable an engine from a ways out seems valuable in certain Maxian scenarios.
View Quote

Everyone has AR15s now, left, right, gang bangers, nutjobs, etc...  Many people also has armor.  People can choose to armor themselves with equivalent weapons in a SHTF scenario, or you could be smart and look for an advantage.  50s provide a huge step change in your ability to defend against marauding bad guys.  And AP ammo is plentiful.  Even ball is steel core and will do a lot against cover.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lighten up Francis
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  

Lighten up Francis

You think every ARFCOMer should have a .338 but I should lighten up?  This ain't GD.  The only way I'm using a .338 in my neighborhood is firing at drones.  The only bears in my neighborhood are soft skinned hairy guys that wear PINK shorts.  OP, in Minnesota, he's got actual bears to worry about, my only bear problem is when they run for the HOA board.

In rural areas w/ bears, .308 & up makes sense.  In suburbia & urban areas anything stronger than .308 doesn't really make sense from a survival perspective.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You think every ARFCOMer should have a .338 but I should lighten up?  This ain't GD.  The only way I'm using a .338 in my neighborhood is firing at drones.  The only bears in my neighborhood are soft skinned hairy guys that wear PINK shorts.  OP, in Minnesota, he's got actual bears to worry about, my only bear problem is when they run for the HOA board.

In rural areas w/ bears, .308 & up makes sense.  In suburbia & urban areas anything stronger than .308 doesn't really make sense from a survival perspective.
View Quote

It was a joke referring to the legendary ARF thread where some guy asks for recs on a plate that will stop multiple hits of 338LM for a plan B.  Someone responded if your plan B is to take multiple 33LM hits, you need a better plan A.  You've been around long enough to know that.

Regardless, obviously no serious person would mandate all XXX,XXX users get a 338LM here so yes lighten up, you sound very uptight.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  Everyone has AR15s now, left, right, gang bangers, nutjobs, etc...  Many people also has armor.  People can choose to armor themselves with equivalent weapons in a SHTF scenario, or you could be smart and look for an advantage.  50s provide a huge step change in your ability to defend against marauding bad guys.  And AP ammo is plentiful.  Even ball is steel core and will do a lot against cover.
View Quote

Depends on where you live.  If you've got wide open spaces around you, sure, .50 BMG will reach out as far as you can see.  Most of ARFCOM, like most of America, live in urban & suburban areas where a .50 BMG rifle is not a particularly useful defensive weapon other than in no holds barred urban warfare.  If you're preparing for that great.  You may find community leadership more useful than a single .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

a .50 BMG rifle is not a particularly useful defensive weapon other than in no holds barred urban warfare.
View Quote

What do you think SHTF is?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#25]
In terms of throwing a big chunk of lead, I've got a 358 Winchester (up to 250 grains) and a 300 Win Mag, with some hand-loaded AP projectiles from WWII. I've also got a Ruger Super Redhawk  in 454 Casull, hopefully, Ruger will offer a lever action in that caliber before too long.
Quoted:
So I'm thinking physically damaging the block enough to prevent operation nearly immediately.
View Quote
You better think of something with a dedicated AP projectile.  So you're looking at a .308 caliber or 50 BMG unless you learn how to turn your own projectiles on a lathe.  You're better off aiming for the driver, or the front tires.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was a joke referring to the legendary ARF thread where some guy asks for recs on a plate that will stop multiple hits of 338LM for a plan B.  Someone responded if your plan B is to take multiple 33LM hits, you need a better plan A.  You've been around long enough to know that.

Regardless, obviously no serious person would mandate all XXX,XXX users get a 338LM here so yes lighten up, you sound very uptight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:    You think every ARFCOMer should have a .338 but I should lighten up?  This ain't GD.  The only way I'm using a .338 in my neighborhood is firing at drones.  The only bears in my neighborhood are soft skinned hairy guys that wear PINK shorts.  OP, in Minnesota, he's got actual bears to worry about, my only bear problem is when they run for the HOA board.

I missed that thread sometime in the last 4 years.  There are ARFCOMers who carry their GD posting into Tech, I just presumed you were one.  In 87% of neighborhoods, leadership building a community force will be of more use than a sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:22:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  a .50 BMG rifle is not a particularly useful defensive weapon other than in no holds barred urban warfare.

A Constitutional crisis involving competing chains of commands issuing orders to the Armed Forces and state National Guards.  Will certain urban centers end up in combat?  Possibly.  Will YOUR urban center end up in combat?  99% chance - no.  So while you can feel free to have LARPing fantasies about Syria, most of Syria at any given time isn't involved in combat, and a single .50 BMG rifle isn't going to save your neighborhood if combat does come to it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:24:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I missed that thread sometime in the last 4 years.  There are ARFCOMers who carry their GD posting into Tech, I just presumed you were one.  In 87% of neighborhoods, leadership building a community force will be of more use than a sniper rifle.
View Quote

Nobody is debating if community > 50, the only question is if there is a practical reason for a magnum rifle in your preps.  You have a very specific view of SHTF and are throwing fits if others have different views from your own
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  In terms of throwing a big chunk of lead, I've got a 358 Winchester (up to 250 grains) and a 300 Win Mag, with some hand-loaded AP projectiles from WWII.

You better think of something with a dedicated AP projectile.  So you're looking at a .308 caliber or 50 BMG, unless you learn how to turn your own projectiles on a lathe.  You're better off aiming for the driver, or the front tires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:  In terms of throwing a big chunk of lead, I've got a 358 Winchester (up to 250 grains) and a 300 Win Mag, with some hand-loaded AP projectiles from WWII.

Quoted:
So I'm thinking physically damaging the block enough to prevent operation nearly immediately.

You better think of something with a dedicated AP projectile.  So you're looking at a .308 caliber or 50 BMG, unless you learn how to turn your own projectiles on a lathe.  You're better off aiming for the driver, or the front tires.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jan/19/texas-guardsman-shoots-smuggling-suspect-near-mexi/

About 1 a.m. Tuesday, the Guard troops spotted a car that appeared to be involved in human trafficking outside of Laredo, Texas. The soldiers approached the vehicle and identified themselves, according to sources in Austin.

The driver then drove toward the soldiers in an apparent attempt to run them down. That’s when one of the troops opened fire, state officials said.

There were no reported injuries, and the driver was taken into custody.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:52:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I always thought that old WWII standbys like 30-06, 303, 8mm, 7.62x54 using fmj would be more then enough to stop a car/truck engine.  Haven't really tested it but would be fun to try it out!
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:36:59 AM EDT
[#31]
From .22 rimfire all the way up to 338wm and 45/70.

A couple of things I am going to add is bows and crossbows.
I do not have the knowledge to make a yupik style bow. The bow making died out very quickly around here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#32]
30-06 are as heavy as I want to shoot. Hunting rounds for people and animal, black tips for vehicles. I don't think I would feel out gunned.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Personally no. I would like something like a 50 but have no where to fire it. I’m in wooded suburbs, max line of sight almost anywhere here is 200 yards between the hills and trees.

Vehicular area denial should be through obstructions. I can keep damn near any vehicle out of my immediate area with a chainsaw and 5 minutes.

I don’t own any rifle calibers more powerful than 556 actually.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a bolt action 404 Jeffery and a Ruger No 1 in 416 Rigby from my father.

I have yet to shoot either one.

There's not much a heavy safari grade solid won't penetrate.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Why do so many people on ARFcom picture SHTF as a Mad Max scenario.  Most likely shtf I picture is going to be a collapse of the American economy.  That said, we all aren't going to turn into loin cloth wearing lunatics driving late 70's muscle cars with flamethrowers driving in packs.  Your .338 will be an awesome gun for shooting at those scary cars but in reality, my AR15 is going to handle the random dummy who wants to break into my house I hope.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#36]
This thread kinda jumped the rails.

Largest caliber I have is .308…bolt action with a scope. I don’t have large animals like moose and grizzly bears here so don’t see a need for anything bigger. I’d like to own a .50 but not for any SHTF reasons…just be fun to play with it. I have other things I’d spend those thousands of dollars on so I don’t own a .50 and likely never will.

I’d like to have a .308 AR eventually and will probably get one one day.

I don’t see a need for me to get anything bigger than my .308.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Anybody remember the nut job from Zanesville OH that released all the exotic animals?  I doubt anyone in Ohio had lions and tigers and bears oh my running loose on a Tuesday on their bingo card.
That little issue required more horsepower than 223 or 308 so OP has a valid question.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I do. But Why? Well I hunt in Africa anyways so I have a few. If I were in bear country it would definitely pay off. 375 H&H or a 470NE will definitely settle a bear down.

That said, if the world collapses and some environmentalists idiot let’s lions and elephants out to run amok you know who to call. LoL
View Quote

Metallic things that burn fossil fuels are the only way to close distance fast enough in many rural areas to allow aggressors to be successful across open areas.

I think a capable magnum rifle is a good idea and tool to have. It’s not high on the list but absolutely on the list.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't think 308 has enough power for API bullets, but I'm not 100% on that.
View Quote

If memory serves they’re 155 grain so no problem.  Magnum velocities out of a .308? Nope. Potential case length compatibility with some magazines? Probably.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got SLAP for .308.

Honestly, .308 or 30/06 is likely as ''powerful'' as one may need and the ammo far more plentiful at more places then the less known or specialty calibers. And both come in a huge selection of different bullet types for different uses.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Where does it say the 5.56 physically stopped the vehicle and it was incapable of further locomotion?  Sounds to me like the driver pooped himself and decided it was a bad idea to me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why do so many people on ARFcom picture SHTF as a Mad Max scenario.  Most likely shtf I picture is going to be a collapse of the American economy.  That said, we all aren't going to turn into loin cloth wearing lunatics driving late 70's muscle cars with flamethrowers driving in packs.  Your .338 will be an awesome gun for shooting at those scary cars but in reality, my AR15 is going to handle the random dummy who wants to break into my house I hope.
View Quote

In a collapse of the economy food is gonna be a big deal. What do you think Rat has? Might make him a bigger target.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Where does it say the 5.56 physically stopped the vehicle and it was incapable of further locomotion?  Sounds to me like the driver pooped himself and decided it was a bad idea to me.
View Quote

That's like posting a story about how a 22 stopped a person the next time someone asks suggestions for calibers for self defense.  Sure it *might* work, but maybe you shouldn't bet on it
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

We had roving mobs of commies in body armor burning down cities to the tune of over $2B of damages, because 1 cop killed 1 dirtbag.  What do you think things will look like when the entire country goes broke?  Nobody said anything about Mad Max, your straw man serves only to prop yourself up on some pseudo elitist high ground.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We had roving mobs of commies in body armor burning down cities to the tune of over $2B of damages, because 1 cop killed 1 dirtbag.  What do you think things will look like when the entire country goes broke?  Nobody said anything about Mad Max, your straw man serves only to prop yourself up on some pseudo elitist high ground.
View Quote

Did we change terminology again? Thought they were called Fudd’s?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a .30-06 hunting rifle I could use on any game animal.  If needed, pretty sure my 6.5CM bolt gun, 6.5CM AR10 or .308 AR10 type rifles will do all I need if a normal 5.56 AR isn't enough.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Nope, can't say I see the need but to each their own. I do have some AP and API for the Garand if it really came to that but you'd be pretty surprised at how difficult a "instakill" is on a vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#48]
300 Win Mag
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#49]
So they missed?  If you're going to miss [insert any target name here], then you'll likely miss any other part of a moving vehicle you aim at.  Get training, or buy a scattergun, or both.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a 300 winmag, but I didn't buy it as a prep. I bought it as a hunting rifle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top