Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2021 3:01:44 AM EDT
What is the measuring stick for shipping container venting?  Max temp? Min temp? Humidity?  Container gets hot enough I don't want to spend time in it.

Use: General Storage

20ft container with door facing North.  Located near water.  Top, South and West side have reflective white silicone roof coating.  East side isn't done yet.  North facing side will not be coated.

Two louvered vents low on East wall.  Solar Mega Roofblaster on the top center.

From March until June the internal temp min/max  40F and 98F.  Min/Max humidity 29%-74%.

Roofblaster says only 1 roof vent is required for a 20ft container.  

Should I add more vents?  Another fan?  Will that have any adverse effects?  Is 98F and 74% humidity no big deal?  Cold average temp is more common than high average temp where I am located.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have built a free standing roof several feet above one of ours so there is a 2-3' standoff between the shed roof and the roof of the conex.
View Quote

That was my thinking.  I would be buying Roof trusses and mount them directly to the CONEX to create a second roof, which would prolong the life of the CONEX.  
Even of the truss roof leaked, no worries, you still have the CONEX roof which should be fine.

Describe Free Standing...  Did you sink posts on all four corners?

Bill
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#3]
So a lot depends on what you plan to store in it. Tractors and tools don't require as much thought as does as say, canned food.

But you can look at either one of two ways when it comes to moisture- air exchanges or air tight. If you seal it up air tight you can rid the air of the moisture inside with Damp rid canisters or a dehumidifier. Otherwise, air exchanges- power vents up high with in-vents down low on opposite side. But you have to pull enough air so the inside temp is close to the outside or you will get condensation.

Depending on where you are, the temperature swings might not be that much, but here in NC we have days you run the heat at night and ac during the day, lol. There's not a lot to help with temperature unless you insulate and heat/ cool with outside source. They are just going to swing with the outside temp because they have no thermal mass to help stabilize temperatures

Link Posted: 7/1/2021 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Corten is a steel alloy that has copper in it, hence the reason it might be cooler. The purpose for the copper is to promote a patina which aids in reducing the ability of the steel to rust versus painting on the exterior of the conex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top