Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2021 10:48:26 PM EDT
I'm going to first start by asking about B&M bread I have done a few searches and read reviews.

I have come to the understanding that one of two things! God's gift to man or the devil's joke on man!

I'm looking to up my food storage since I own a home and going to stay here for a long time I hope! One thing I was looking at was bread to eat and B&M is the only thing I found that is canned. I want to also buy but at $11 for two boxes it seems like a lot of money. Anyway like to hear what you have to say about the bread thing.

I do have wheat berries a lot of them but looking for something they would be quick or can travel.

Next, like to talk about other canned goods for storage! My goal is more quick easy meals ones that are light and can be used in a power outage or if SHTF you can travel a few days with.

I did get canned cheese back in 2003 or so we liked it as we ate all 6 can just because we liked it all I remember is we ordered it off Amazon.

So looking for ideas. I want to start drying 1 lb of jerky per week and storing it. I have also been thinking  Mountain House meals would be a good idea also not the 10# tins but the two-person meals.

Not worried about can openers since I bought 100+ packs of P-51's!

I'd like to hear what is your all-second or third survival food line? My first is leftovers we have a lot with a family of 5. The second is whatever is not cooked.

Third, to me is when I start digging into my survival food. At this time I want food that can travel for scouting.

If I use my one and two food then we are talking about a month minimum that's us having a banquet each night. So my guess is one and two they would last 2 months or more.

Level three has to be something I can carry with me because by this time I'm leaving the home and seeing what's going on and what's out there. Day trips to several day trips.

Should clarify level three is also when my family starts in on the 10# tins and 5-gallon buckets of food.

So this bread B&M and pilot biscuits are more than 2.5.

Anyway like to hear what you all have to say!
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The B&M bread is great.  Spendy too.

If it sticks in the can open both the top AND bottom and just push it out.

It"s thick and more like a brownie than a bread.

Makes excellent fried bologna sandwiches or ham and  egg sandwiches.

Grilled with butter(red feather is good) it's great for dipping in egg yolk in sunny side up eggs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]
yep.  I pretty much open a can when I have an old school hot dogs, beans and buttered brown bread dinner..,   fall or winter meal.

Was very common growing up on a Friday or Saturday.

leftover brown bread is great fried as a snack with butter and maybe some honey but it doesn’t really need the extra sweetener.

have a can in the cupboard.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Here you go, it's easier than it sounds to make.

Steamed Boston Brown bread

Bread Flour                       8 oz
Whole Wheat flour            4 oz.
Light Rye flour                  8 oz.
Cornmeal                         8 oz
Salt                                  3/4 oz
Baking Soda                   1 1/4 oz
Raisins                            8 oz.
———————————————-   combine ingredients above and mix
Buttermilk.                      2 lb
Mollasses                      15 oz

Muffin method, mix dry add wet to dry mix only until combined don’t overmix.
Spray some pam or similar lubricant into 3 cans
Place mixture into the containers 40 ounce or close, large tomatoes juice or sweet potato can 38 oz. and cover with foil, dome the foil over the top.

Steam upright for 3 hours, at 15lb.  I used a commercial steamer, when I did it at home in my American Standard 3 hours was too much, it was too dry.  I’d go 2 1/2 hours with that.

ETA, I've never broken it down but there's no reason it couldn't be divided into thirds to make one.
ETTA. I should have mentioned that when filling the containers, don't go above 2/3, it will rise a bit when steaming.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like the B&M brown bread but not the one with raisins in it(bleh).  I got several cases on Amazon last year for good prices.  I'm interested to see how long it will store.

Toasted with some good butter and a little honey.... mmmmmmmm!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here you go, it's easier than it sounds to make.

Steamed Boston Brown bread

Bread Flour                       8 oz
Whole Wheat flour            4 oz.
Light Rye flour                  8 oz.
Cornmeal                         8 oz
Salt                                  3/4 oz
Baking Soda                   1 1/4 oz
Raisins                            8 oz.
———————————————-   combine ingredients above and mix
Buttermilk.                      2 lb
Mollasses                      15 oz

Muffin method, mix dry add wet to dry mix only until combined don’t overmix.
Spray some pam or similar lubricant into 3 cans
Place mixture into the containers 40 ounce or close, large tomatoes juice or sweet potato can 38 oz. and cover with foil, dome the foil over the top.

Steam upright for 3 hours, at 15lb.  I used a commercial steamer, when I did it at home in my American Standard 3 hours was too much, it was too dry.  I’d go 2 1/2 hours with that.

ETA, I've never broken it down but there's no reason it couldn't be divided into thirds to make one.
ETTA. I should have mentioned that when filling the containers, don't go above 2/3, it will rise a bit when steaming.

View Quote

I have done this before!

Mine was a bit moister than it should have been but it was just cooked enough.   I had the craving and just googled up the revipe mid winter when I didn’t feel like going back out to the store.

I keep a variety of flours in the freezer so it was an easy trick.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
i tried b&m brown bread w/raisons couple weeks ago. Yuck. couple bites was it for me. turned into an expensive chicken treat.

try it before you stock up on it. whatever it turns out to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top