Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2020 12:51:28 AM EDT
While driving home on some back roads today, I came across someone that was laying on the side of the road next to a vehicle and surrounded by a few "friends." I pulled over to check out what was up and to see if any assistance was needed. Turns out, the guy was barely breathing, and completely unresponsive. I asked if 911 had been called, and what the status was, they said they had called, but were unsure of where they were exactly, and that emergency services were "looking for them." To be honest, I had no idea what mile marker we were at, and the road is pretty long, and we were a good ways from any real emergency facilities.

When I'm out hiking or hanging out in the woods, I keep a Garmin InReach emergency locator on my belt, I've never had the occasion to use it, but it always seemed like good insurance if I came across any unruly cows or if I maybe broke an ankle. This is the first time I ever activated the "SOS" feature. Within 2 minutes, I had a call on my cell letting me know that they had an exact fix on my location, and that "someone" was heading my way. Before the call, the service asked me what the nature of my emergency was, and I responded "medical" through a text response on the unit itself, I'll admit the text reply is a bit clunky, but it worked. The dispatch center asked me what was up and relayed the info to emergency services, and units started showing up much faster than I anticipated, given our location.

Guys, if you spend any time in the outdoors, where you might not have a cell signal... Buy one of these things. The unit I have is pretty outdated, but it worked, and probably saved a life today.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I looked at those but don't like the idea of paying for an Iridium subscription "just in case", though admittedly if I was out in the sticks more often then I definitely would.

Glad it worked out for you and you were able to help someone in need.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked at those but don't like the idea of paying for an Iridium subscription "just in case", though admittedly if I was out in the sticks more often then I definitely would.

Glad it worked out for you and you were able to help someone in need.
View Quote

I pay $15/month, I think its pretty reasonable for the ability to call "god" and ask for help. I spend a lot of time outdoors, bad things happen to the unprepared.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:14:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a friend who was an OR nurse and motorcycle rider. She was religious about her Spot device.  She would let me know when she was leaving on a solo run and have me track her.

She was out in California riding the hills and came across a couple of bikers who were in a bad way. She hit the emergency button and there was help there fast.

So yeah... great idea for the great outdoors.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a friend who was an OR nurse and motorcycle rider. She was religious about her Spot device.  She would let me know when she was leaving on a solo run and have me track her.

She was out in California riding the hills and came across a couple of bikers who were in a bad way. She hit the emergency button and there was help there fast.

So yeah... great idea for the great outdoors.
View Quote

I've heard of SPOT devices being over a mile off for location, Garmin has earned my trust as of today.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]
glad you were able to help someone out...I just ordered the Garmin 66i the other night, I kinda think it's bullshit having to pay for a subscription for the SOS feature, but at least they have month to month plans if you don't want to pay for the entire year
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
glad you were able to help someone out...I just ordered the Garmin 66i the other night, I kinda think it's bullshit having to pay for a subscription for the SOS feature, but at least they have month to month plans if you don't want to pay for the entire year
View Quote

Running an effective emergency operations center costs money. I used to turn the subscription on and off based on my activity, I'll just keep it active at this point,  they've earned my business.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've heard of SPOT devices being over a mile off for location, Garmin has earned my trust as of today.
View Quote

Not sure about that.  Back when this happened Spot was the only device of its type. I agree I would go with Garmin today as I love their GPS devices.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:35:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not sure about that.  Back when this happened Spot was the only device of its type. I agree I would go with Garmin today as I love their GPS devices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read of a canyon rescue that started a long ways off. I have no actual facts, and will not disparage their name, but I trust Garmin based on my personal experience.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I read of a canyon rescue that started a long ways off. I have no actual facts, and will not disparage their name, but I trust Garmin based on my personal experience.
View Quote

I think I read that same rescue - maybe on AdvRider or something long ago. Like I said they were the only game in town... glad to see Garmin in there now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Had one for years, I like it. Slow, but it works. I like the Bluetooth cell interface, I've sent texts from the back country and was glad to be able to. Ive never used the emergency button. I keep it when boating, hunting, hiking, or even driving outside of population centers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had one for years, I like it. Slow, but it works. I like the Bluetooth cell interface, I've sent texts from the back country and was glad to be able to. Ive never used the emergency button. I keep it when boating, hunting, hiking, or even driving outside of population centers.
View Quote

it functioned flawlessly, I have not played with the bluetooth interface, I will now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:42:34 AM EDT
[#12]
How is navigation with one? I saw a review that said it was only a compass. I thought this was supposed to have maps on it as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I was shooting up in the Olympic National Forest and on the drive out rolled up on a Ford Ranger laying on its roof, with four slightly dazed teens standing around it.  I stopped to ask if they were OK and if they needed help.  They said they were good, and that they'd called for help.  The only problem is there's no cell service up there.  I pulled the coordinates off my regular (and old) navigation gps and put a call out on 146.520.  I wasn't sure if I'd get anyone on simplex and was going to switch to the nearest repeater when I got a reply back.  I asked him to contact Lincoln County 911 and let them know.

No subscription.  Might not work everywhere but is an option.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry this dirt biking. Under $300 and no monthly cost. 6 year battery.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Garmin In Reach's are very popular with cruising boaters.  Cheaper than an Iridium phone,  usually.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How is navigation with one? I saw a review that said it was only a compass. I thought this was supposed to have maps on it as well.
View Quote

The newer ones are supposed to be really good, mine is a bit clunky for navigation, but functional.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I am seriously looking into one
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are two explorer models, I bought the one with better maps... Honestly they're pretty lame compared to say OnX, but it's nice I guess to know they're there if your cell phone dies for some reason. I only consider them as a backup.

It's just like the handheld garmin mapping devices of 5+ years ago. Slow and clunky, but they're there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:11:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Can the InReach mini receive messages from a different inreach mini without the use of a cellphone to type the or display the message?   Or is that function even possible?  More or less I am looking for two devices that can text each other (regardless of how clunky it may be) without use of a cellphone to display and type the messagezs
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There are two explorer models, I bought the one with better maps... Honestly they're pretty lame compared to say OnX, but it's nice I guess to know they're there if your cell phone dies for some reason. I only consider them as a backup.

It's just like the handheld garmin mapping devices of 5+ years ago. Slow and clunky, but they're there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been wanting one compatible with OnX. I'm still probably a couple years from needing one unfortunately, so hopefully they will come out with something compatible soon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been wanting one compatible with OnX. I'm still probably a couple years from needing one unfortunately, so hopefully they will come out with something compatible soon.
View Quote

The new model, with integrated traditional Garmin gps, the 66i can take a chip with maps.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can the InReach mini receive messages from a different inreach mini without the use of a cellphone to type the or display the message?   Or is that function even possible?  More or less I am looking for two devices that can text each other (regardless of how clunky it may be) without use of a cellphone to display and type the messagezs
View Quote

Yes, ideally you'd preprogram some messages though, as typing is very slow on both the mini and explorer models (although MUCH better on the explorer as you can do one letter at a time moving using arrows to move around on the on screen keyboard instead of just up and down).

Here's the mini info:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=lFufUji2Yl7wz35LEQxV0A

I definitely prefer the explorer over the mini, longer battery, display and navigation seem better. I haven't had a chance to use the newer 66/86 devices though, they're probably even better.

ETA:

This goes through the mini UI, but it doesn't show it typing:
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Costco has the InReach SE+ for 279....     screaming deal.   I just picked up 2
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:06:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Same price at sportsman's warehouse, great deal

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-gear-supplies/gps-navigation-gear/handheld-gps/garmin-inreach-se-satellite-communicator/p/1470625

They have the spot two way as well for $200, anyone used one? I've not seen or touched one.

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-gear-supplies/gps-navigation-gear/satellite-phone-gps-locators/spot-x-2-way-satellite-messenger-with-bluetooth/p/1538433

ETA: good comparison:
Spot X vs Garmin InReach 2 way Satellite Communicators Iridium vs Globalstar
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:38:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought the mini a few months ago.

So tiny, you'll take it with you.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve had one for years.  I take it hunting, backpacking, and remote camping.  Never needed SOS, but it’s great to send quick messages back home or give directions to your buddies.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Hate my spot, would not buy again. Very unrefined and unsupported product. The last app updates were years ago. It’s like msdos to Garmin’s iPhone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 2:21:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Spot has been reported to have coverage gaps, as well as accuracy issues.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a Gen 1 and 2 Spot, it was the only option in that price range at the time. I wouldn't go that route now days.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a Mini, and carried on my hike last year on the PCT.  Never used it for an emergency, but the tracking was pretty cool and being able to message where there was no service was handy at times.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#32]
I spend a lot of time in the NV desert and have one the wife got me for Christmas a few years ago.  It works great with the Garmin (DeLorme) Earthmate navigation app on my cell phone via Bluetooth.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
While driving home on some back roads today, I came across someone that was laying on the side of the road next to a vehicle and surrounded by a few "friends." I pulled over to check out what was up and to see if any assistance was needed. Turns out, the guy was barely breathing, and completely unresponsive. I asked if 911 had been called, and what the status was, they said they had called, but were unsure of where they were exactly, and that emergency services were "looking for them." To be honest, I had no idea what mile marker we were at, and the road is pretty long, and we were a good ways from any real emergency facilities.

When I'm out hiking or hanging out in the woods, I keep a Garmin InReach emergency locator on my belt, I've never had the occasion to use it, but it always seemed like good insurance if I came across any unruly cows or if I maybe broke an ankle. This is the first time I ever activated the "SOS" feature. Within 2 minutes, I had a call on my cell letting me know that they had an exact fix on my location, and that "someone" was heading my way. Before the call, the service asked me what the nature of my emergency was, and I responded "medical" through a text response on the unit itself, I'll admit the text reply is a bit clunky, but it worked. The dispatch center asked me what was up and relayed the info to emergency services, and units started showing up much faster than I anticipated, given our location.

Guys, if you spend any time in the outdoors, where you might not have a cell signal... Buy one of these things. The unit I have is pretty outdated, but it worked, and probably saved a life today.
View Quote

Setup the app on your phone and connect to the InReach via Bluetooth then you can use your phone to send/receive the texts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Deep narrow canyons are an inherent problem with degraded accuracy in any GPS system.  They need to see at least 3 gps birds for a general fix. The more they lock onto after the 3 the more accurate the position data will be.

In a narrow canyon you have a limited line of sight view of the sky, as does the GPS.
View Quote

GPS truly needs 4 satellites for a basic fix.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Just set up 3 InReach devices tonight.   The piece of mind that comes with comms that aren’t reliant on the cell network is huge.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
(or know how to get your GPS coordinates on your cell phone?)
View Quote

Cell phone doesn’t summon help outside of cell coverage areas. InReach uses the Iridium network and contacts a private dispatch center.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Garmin In Reach's are very popular with cruising boaters.  Cheaper than an Iridium phone,  usually.
View Quote

I have the cheapest, "just for emergencies" InReach plan.  IIRC it is $30 a year, and $15 a month for every month I activate it (hunting season only for me).

It is a _little_ light on features.  Last time I checked my 10 messages a month had to one of a few pre-entered messages.  Other than that I can't complain.  In this modern era it seems like your 10 messages a month ought to be anything you want to type, but like I said it's for emergency use only anyway.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I have one that I use when hiking on vacation.  I usually turn off the service when we return, it's probably a good idea to keep it activated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top