Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2019 3:46:36 PM EDT
My brother was charging a battery on a vehicle with our Yamaha ef2000is when he tried to start the vehicle.  It backfed to the generator and damaged the control unit.  Generator engine will still run fine, just no power output.

The control unit alone is around $650+ so nearly the cost of buying a brand new generator.

We've both searched the web for places that will repair the control unit but have had no luck.

Before we give up thought I'd check here to see if anyone has any sources for doing electrical repairs such as this or knows of anyplace with scrap generators we could possibly salvage the control unit from.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Give Innovat a call.  I use them to repair a lot of obsolete or expensive PCB during welder repair.

Innovat
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you checked for fuses in the circuit? I wouldn’t say it backfed, what he did was the equivalent of putting a short across the supply. Yes, it could have damaged a component but I’ve already had to put a fuse in my 30iSeb. I think the chances are very good that type of problem was anticipated by the engineers and is likely solved with a fuse. I’ll even bet it’s a 10 amp.

Edit: the schematic is showing a circuit breaker. From your description of events you were using the 12 volt circuit to charge the battery but now say it doesn’t put out any power? AC? DC? As I recall, AC overload shuts off output and illuminates the overload indicator and is reset by shutting off and restarting. So we’re only talking about DC output and you’ve verified the breaker is reset right? It’s been a while but my fix did involve a fuse but it’s a different model.

Can you clarify this? It would suck to spring for the control board and find you didn’t need it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you checked for fuses in the circuit? I wouldn’t say it backfed, what he did was the equivalent of putting a short across the supply. Yes, it could have damaged a component but I’ve already had to put a fuse in my 30iSeb. I think the chances are very good that type of problem was anticipated by the engineers and is likely solved with a fuse. I’ll even bet it’s a 10 amp.

Edit: the schematic is showing a circuit breaker. From your description of events you were using the 12 volt circuit to charge the battery but now say it doesn’t put out any power? AC? DC? As I recall, AC overload shuts off output and illuminates the overload indicator and is reset by shutting off and restarting. So we’re only talking about DC output and you’ve verified the breaker is reset right? It’s been a while but my fix did involve a fuse but it’s a different model.

Can you clarify this? It would suck to spring for the control board and find you didn’t need it.
View Quote
This...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top