Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2018 6:26:46 AM EDT
Played a bit with the Schrade SCHF36

Nice enough knife for the money. The blade is obviously a bit too thick but cuts well enough for a hard use knife. The plastic grip is crap and made some micarta handles instead, which I also used to cover the stupid jimping.

One of the screws broke so that got changed too. So I guess its just a slab of 1095 to work on. With a bit of work it is a decent knife and the sheath is ok.

I'm also waiting on a Busse Dog Soldier 8. Seems like an ideal knife so looking forward to that one.

Anyone happy with a knife they've been using lately? anything neat/interesting?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice custom grips. Still waiting on my Anza Dune file knife.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice custom grips. Still waiting on my Anza Dune file knife.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The day is still young, so we'll see.

I was eyeing the green Osborne 940-1 the other day with her, at the Bass Rape Shop, but told her that $210 + tax, was steep for that knife.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Recently bought a Buck 119 in 5160. Brass pommel and guard. Pretty knife, good steel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Ontario US Air Force Survival knife 499...  Bolt knife...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Pair it with a good multi tool or SAK and your good to go bud...
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, nice classic, no BS knife. I need to get me one for the collection.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Of all the fixed blades I own, this is the one in my bob.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I make knives, mostly for skinning.  This is one I made this week. It's full tang 1095 and 3/16" with micarta handle.

What characteristics do you find most desirable in a survival/bushcraft knife?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I make knives, mostly for skinning.  This is one I made this week. It's full tang 1095 and 3/16" with micarta handle.

What characteristics do you find most desirable in a survival/bushcraft knife?
View Quote
A Mora does pretty much everything for me that is required in the "bushcraft" realm.  I also still have a Condor Bushlore for my heavier bushcraft needs.  I have had a few custom knives and still have one but in reality its about the craftsmanship, unique, one of a kind value when you start paying big coin for custom blades...  Your paying for the work that went into it, because realistically and value speaking a Mora will do most of what any one realistically needs in the Bushcraft/ outdoor world.  For my game processing needs I use a Havalon Piranta. super light weight and razor sharp.

Adventure Sworn, LT Wright, Battle Horse, Sargent, I could keep listing custom brands but when it comes to blades like these you are buying heirloom master craftsmanship quality knives, not just a knife that will provide you with utility when necessary, because a Mora can do that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I like to experiment with styles, and mostly just start with a general idea of what feels good in my hand, and start grinding.  The better ones I make a pattern of, others that don't turn out like I expect, I generally gift to someone.  They are all heat treated properly and will hold up properly, but to me are "ugly"...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Added an M9 Bayonet to the collection.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Just on a whim, I picked up the TOPS CUT:

I'm using it here in Afghanistan and it rides small of my back, scout-style carry.  The sheath is awesome and the belt straps are something I'm considering on several other knives back home.  The carry location isn't a bother when sitting or driving, or even when wearing my IOTV.  Access is quick and natural (the ring really helps to index the handle quickly); the sheath is also thicker than most with superb retention (no issues yet!).  I was worried the length would casue issues of catching on doors, tight-quarters, etc., but it's just short enough to avoid hang-ups.  The blade shape is pretty normal, but very utilitarian.  Surprisingly, this has become a favored blade for my environment.  Traditional gripping is not the most comfortable, but using the ring is pretty natural (at least for me).  Most of my knife training is reversed-grip, so this is exactly what the design was intended for and it does it quite well.  This is actually a very decent design from TOPS.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just on a whim, I picked up the TOPS CUT:

https://www.bladehq.com/imgs/knives/fixed-blade-knives/tops-knives-fixed/tops-cut-4point0-combat-tpcut40-large.jpg

https://www.bladehq.com/imgs/knives/fixed-blade-knives/tops-knives-fixed/tops-cut-4point0-combat-tpcut40-sheath-large.jpg

I'm using it here in Afghanistan and it rides small of my back, scout-style carry.  The sheath is awesome and the belt straps are something I'm considering on several other knives back home.  The carry location isn't a bother when sitting or driving, or even when wearing my IOTV.  Access is quick and natural (the ring really helps to index the handle quickly); the sheath is also thicker than most with superb retention (no issues yet!).  I was worried the length would casue issues of catching on doors, tight-quarters, etc., but it's just short enough to avoid hang-ups.  The blade shape is pretty normal, but very utilitarian.  Surprisingly, this has become a favored blade for my environment.  Traditional gripping is not the most comfortable, but using the ring is pretty natural (at least for me).  Most of my knife training is reversed-grip, so this is exactly what the design was intended for and it does it quite well.  This is actually a very decent design from TOPS.

ROCK6
View Quote
Nice blade shape, but arent you worried about your finger getting caught/broken there in a fight? Im usually not a fan of anything that could get by finger caught in.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#14]
For grins I picked up one of these in the 110 size.  Kinda ugly and does work like me.  Sharpness.  It has it.  Not like me.  

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-carbon-steel/56524

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nice blade shape, but arent you worried about your finger getting caught/broken there in a fight? Im usually not a fan of anything that could get by finger caught in.
View Quote
Given my situation, a broken finger would be the least of my concerns.  It's a debatable aspect of ring-knives, especially kerambit-styled blades.  The ring helps with retention (same as my SOCP dagger on my IOTV), but it's an undeniable two-edged sword, so to speak.  I actually prefer this knife design specifically for the indexing of my finger.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top